Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Syphoning fuel out of tank

Our day got cut short today because of a freak storm and I have a lot of fuel in my tank after topping off at the Marina. I do not think I will be going out again until our shasta trip and do not want to haul an extra 200+ lbs of fuel with me. I am not sure if its possible, but I would like to empty most of the fuel out the tank if it is not too much of a hassle. Anyone here syphoned fuel out of there tank before? what method?

Make sure you have your safety gear close by, I'd have to laugh and feel sorry for you if anything caught fire while siphoning!

I've used this in the past:

http://www.harborfreight.com/fluid-siphon-pump-93292.html

Having the boat on the trailer and the can on the ground helps since gravity takes over, but it's a slow process. The shutoff clip (if it's still included) is worthless, a finger over the end of the hose and lifting it back up above the high point in the boat tank and draining back is more effective.

Curious: you're going to need the fuel at Shasta (and the prices on the water up there are crazy), why not just leave it in the boat? If you take it in cans with you, then you've only moved the weight from the boat to the truck. If you're worried about it "turning" then put some sta-bil in there. I suppose you could use the fuel in the truck between now and your trip...

and especially since you are just going up 5... there are really barely any hills till you are basically there, right? I guess I remember that there's a bit of a grade south of redding, but nothing steep.

+1, I also like having a siphon like this and a gas can in my truck when we tow a long distance. With the reduced range we sometimes find ourselves running close to empty without a gas station close by, so it's nice to know I can suck some fuel out of the boat it we ran empty.

• Like 2

these siphons are the cat's pajamas

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

I've got one for filling from cans, but can you actually get that through the filler and all the way into the boat tank and then actually jiggle it enough to prime it?

I've got one for filling from cans, but can you actually get that through the filler and all the way into the boat tank and then actually jiggle it enough to prime it?

i suspect it depends on the fuel filler configuration.

on my response you have to be careful not to drop your wallet when the fuel filler cap is not screwed on tight.

At least on my tank it works.

I say siphon. Wouldn't want to get rear ended & everything explodes

And an empty tank is waaaay less likely of exploding over a full one all day, right?

I don't know if 200 lbs is really worth the hassle.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I thought the empty tank was more likely to explode (it's full of fumes) where the empty tank could rupture, catch on fire, and burn up everything. I think I learned that watching Mythbusters, maybe I shouldn't believe what I see on TV.

I have been on plenty of vehicle fires in my career and never have witnessed a fuel tank explode. Seen plenty of them melt on newer vehicles and increase the fire, but the chances of an actual "explosion" from a fire are slim to none. When a fuel tank is punctured or leaking it can definitely catch fire easily or increase the current fire burning, but having the entire tank explode is a rare occurrence... not that it can't happen, usually it does not.

Hollywood !!!!!!!!!!

I once saw a Simpsons episode where someone crashed into a milk tanker & that thing blew sky high. Be careful out there people

I had to siphon 20 gallons out of my tank last year after getting some water in while surfing. Never again!! Royally sucks, don't bother.

I use a 3/4" hose to siphon diesel into my tractor. It's easy to start the siphon by using your thumb to block the hose as you quickly lift the hose, then let it vent for a fraction of a second before capping it again. Basically, it's like trying to toss fuel up the hose and holding it in place with your thumb.

Anyway, a big hose will move six gallons in just minutes.

So any plastic 3/4" hose will work for this? I might give it a try just for kicks... and have my full turnouts on just incase I ignite :biggrin: I kinda like fire anyway....

This thread reminds me... I need to burn some fuel this week. We leave for Shasta on Monday and my tank is 3/4 full.

If you had a DuraBurb you wouldn't mind the extra weight :)

No doubt there about a dura burb, my ole sequoia just keeps on taking a beating...I'm waiting for something to grenade but it just keeps going. When something finally happens I will be upgrading my tow rig...for now, it's paid off and still does the job.

Edited by Fman

FMAN, I bought a hand pump from Walmart to change the trans oil. It was in the oil/fluids section and actually said on label for syphoning gas. It even came with a bunch of tubing. Not a bad little pump for under $10.

No doubt there about a dura burb, my ole sequoia just keeps on taking a beating...I'm waiting for something to grenade but it just keeps going. When something finally happens I will be upgrading my tow rig...for now, it's paid off and still does the job.

When that time comes, what do you think you'll get?