Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I'm ordering a 2015 f150 Monday, help please!

MIKEnNC

Very nice rig IXFE. Consider moving your hitch up 1-2 notches... Boatmate says coupler action is best just slightly above level.

Will do, Ryan. Thanks for your research on this topic. You've certainly opened my eyes.

No worries. My intent isn't to sling mud all over the place and tow shame folks... But ensure folks know what the tested/reccomended/prescribed limits of their trucks are. If they know and then they ignore that's on them. You can "identify" you are good to go however you want. F150 Eco can tow a 12k wake boat right?

It's reckless for members like 85 on here to advocate and quibble definitions like a Teenager for folks to tow beyond prescribed/reccomended limits. And that's exactly what he's doing. Surprised he does this. And great, the $15/hr sales bro at your insurance says you're covered if you are negligent when you overload and hurt folks. Yep, you are good man, all set. And I'm sure the $500k/year insurance executive will apply the same level of rigor to that decision to authorize at 6-7figure payment on behalf of your negligence. Good to go. Mine is very clear, PRESCRIBED LIMITS.

The 5k receiver limits on 1/2tons are the least issue in a 7-8k regular tow IMO. I think they could all handle 5-10k. It's the wheelie popping setups at highway speeds that's the issue IMO.

This isn't a Chicken Little the sky is falling issue. It's an informed/responsible boater and consumer issue. Its clear few know what they are doing north of 5k on 1/2tons. Me included a few years back.

I had always towed with a half ton and never looked back..... Untill I bought my current boat.

A few long trips over mountain passes with an Eco-150 and I really felt the truck was outgunned by what I didn't know was behind me. Not in a power sense, in a chassis sense. In exactly the secenerios Ry is explaining. Long down hil ascents with what I didn't realize was an 8000lb package behind me. Get through some twists at 65 and hit some off camber dips/numbs. WHOA! Uneasy feeling with a rig that has you and your whole family in it.

I had no idea my boat weighed in what it weighed fully loaded and ready for the water. Had to educate myself and run into the scales. Big surprise! No wonder I had torsion axle failures with less than 2k miles on the trailer. Boatmate puts this boat on a trailer spec'd with twin 3400lb axles. You do the math.

At that point I decided no more 1/2 ton row rigs. It's just not worth the risk for me or my passengers and I don't like those "situations" as few and far between as they may be. My last two tow rigs have now been 1 tons. HUGE difference in chassis "feel" in those situations.

I will never buy a smaller boat at this point. So I figure at this point I am prepared for whatever I decide the next episode may be. Next boat WILL be on a triple and hopefully a gooseneck.

On that note, my tow rig is just that, my TOW rig. Not my daily driver. I see the quandary when trying to pull dual duty and really would not want to commute in my tow rig. I guess that's a choice each individual will have to make on their own.

Edited by Bawshogg
  • Like 1

Nice setup man, are those 20x9 fuel mavericks or 20x10? What kind and size tire also if u don't mind sharing

Sorry, Mike... I missed this somehow.

Wheels are Fuel Maverick 20x9 offset +20. I went with that offset because I didn't want them sticking way out past the fenders and flinging water all over my otherwise clean truck. Haha.

Tires are Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT275/65R20 (i.e. 34x11)... I've been really happy with these tires. Looks like an MT but drives like an AT (which it is).

Here's a shot of how the offset looks

D7K_6237_zps082dfe25.jpg

• Like 2

Looks nice, what level or level/lift did u do? I've been considering the rough country front and rear small level kit. I still want it to fit in my garage door (height wise)

Looks nice, what level or level/lift did u do? I've been considering the rough country front and rear small level kit. I still want it to fit in my garage door (height wise)

Auto Spring 2.5" (front) and 3" (rear).

This will raise the front 2.5" but only about 1.25" in the rear because the 3" blocks replace the factory blocks which are aprox 1.75" already. You'll still have a slight rake, but not nearly as much as stock.

http://autospringcorp.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=48&zenid=e60096b15c412c028c4b5bf25eeb03b1

I bet your tow hitch is only rated to 12k lbs. with a weight distributing hitch.

Go crawl under your rig and look at that hitch. I bet it has a sticker like I found on my '13 F150 EcoBoost.

Return and report!

The owners manual has the different numbers in it (800 pounds weight carrying, 1200 pounds weight distribution) but the hitch itself only lists 1200 pounds tongue weight and 12,000 pounds total trailer. No distinction between weight carrying and weight distribution on the hitch data plate. This is the first one i have seen that did not show two different numbers. It is a factory hitch.

Maybe from a hitch perspective, it is carrying 1200 pounds of tongue weight - whether that is being distributed to the front and rear axes or not?

I took a picture but it isn't very clear - i will re-take tomorrow if it stops raining.

I do hope Ford's aluminum bodies are different than the bubblicious tailgate I had on my Expedition. That only took about 3 years to show its true colors, or corrosion as the case may be.

How long have people been towing their boats with 1/2 tons, and very few incidents have occurred. Now all of a sudden because someone has changed the rating system, we have to be scared about towing our 5k# boats with our 6k# trucks? Did SAE re-assign physics values as well?

Everyone needs to go ask their Dad what they towed with. 73' Datsun PU pulling a utility trailer loaded with oak for the wood stove..... Good days..... Remember spending the day up on logging decks or in the woods.....

Honestly after towing my 23' back from Montana with my 2010 Datsun I couldn't give a rip about new standards.....

No worries. My intent isn't to sling mud all over the place and tow shame folks... But ensure folks know what the tested/reccomended/prescribed limits of their trucks are. If they know and then they ignore that's on them. You can "identify" you are good to go however you want. F150 Eco can tow a 12k wake boat right?

It's reckless for members like 85 on here to advocate and quibble definitions like a Teenager for folks to tow beyond prescribed/reccomended limits. And that's exactly what he's doing. Surprised he does this. And great, the $15/hr sales bro at your insurance says you're covered if you are negligent when you overload and hurt folks. Yep, you are good man, all set. And I'm sure the $500k/year insurance executive will apply the same level of rigor to that decision to authorize at 6-7figure payment on behalf of your negligence. Good to go. Mine is very clear, PRESCRIBED LIMITS.

The 5k receiver limits on 1/2tons are the least issue in a 7-8k regular tow IMO. I think they could all handle 5-10k. It's the wheelie popping setups at highway speeds that's the issue IMO.

This isn't a Chicken Little the sky is falling issue. It's an informed/responsible boater and consumer issue. Its clear few know what they are doing north of 5k on 1/2tons. Me included a few years back.

Reckless? Here's what I said:

I completely agree that people should be informed of their rigs' limitations. The "drumbeat" has been that anyone towing a wakeboat over 5000#s without a WDH is exceeding their limitations, which is just not true (for all anyway).

You have painted in blanket statements that towing more than 5k in a half ton is overloaded and if you're overloaded you void your insurance coverage. That MAY be true for some people, it MAY not be. You have raised the prospect that people need to examine the issue for themselves, which is commendable. No one has asked you to "STFU". People have simply responded with questions as to your logic. If you're so confident in the accuracy of your positions, across the entire country, in every tow rig, in every situation, keep it going.

I don't need to call anyone. I know the answers. But those answers are for MY state, MY policy, MY knowledge, and MY use. I'm glad people are looking into these issues themselves, which is what they should be. These are great questions for people to ask but the answers are dependent on a number of factors.

I don't want anyone to get hurt either. But 1/2 ton or 1 ton, WDH or not, if you cause an accident, you cause an accident. I (and the motoring public aroudn me) am at no more risk on my tows to cause an accident without a WDH. Is that the same for everyone? No. Do some rigs require a WDH to be safe at all, perhaps. I don't know. What I do know is that I don't know it all, I know what applies to me.

Ryan, you know I never advocated that anyone exceed their limits. I commended you that people are now looking into their limits. If you can't see the forest through the trees that some people have 1/2 ton trucks that are not exceeding any limits despite your vigorous position otherwise, that's too bad.

It's good that people are aware of their limits and they should not exceed them. I've said exactly that. However, not everyone with a 1/2 ton is exceeding their limits and/or jeopardizing their insurance coverage. You may be right for some people, but you're not for all. My stating that in no way "advocates" that anyone not follow their own truck's limitations, state law, and insurance policy.

I am focused in on your attitude: "I can exceed 5k with my Ram as a WDH isn't a "requirement"" We both know that's Dodge parsing words between requirements and recommendations to meet SAE standards and sell more trucks. Ram says you SHOULD use a WDH north of 5k regular tow.

And there was another statement you made saying you are no safer with a WDH than without. Well Ram, Ford and all other manfs... to include SAE would disagree with you and for most it is a REQUIRMENT and Ram a RECCOMENDATION. It highlights your lack of understanding of what a WDH is and how it distributes the load across your truck, moreso your owners' goggles on your truck.

You need to be using a WDH on 1/2tons to be in compliance with SAE and MANF recommendations north of 5k. HAPPY?

ahopkins22LSV

You guys all just need to give up surfing, boarding and big boats. But a slalom stick, a response and you won't have to worry about tow ratings on your 1/2 ton truck. Plus you will be doing a real sport and my lake would be a lot calmer :Tease3:

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 3

You guys all just need to give up surfing, boarding and big boats. But a slalom stick, a response and you won't have to worry about tow ratings on your 1/2 ton truck. Plus you will be doing a real sport and my lake would be a lot calmer :Tease3:

I have both! Actually, lots and lots of one, just one of the other!

• Like 2

I am focused in on your attitude: "I can exceed 5k with my Ram as a WDH isn't a "requirement"" We both know that's Dodge parsing words between requirements and recommendations to meet SAE standards and sell more trucks. Ram says you SHOULD use a WDH north of 5k regular tow.

And there was another statement you made saying you are no safer with a WDH than without. Well Ram, Ford and all other manfs... to include SAE would disagree with you and for most it is a REQUIRMENT and Ram a RECCOMENDATION. It highlights your lack of understanding of what a WDH is and how it distributes the load across your truck, moreso your owners' goggles on your truck.

You need to be using a WDH on 1/2tons to be in compliance with SAE and MANF recommendations north of 5k. HAPPY?

Now its Dodge who is parsing words as if no one there knows the difference between recommendation, requirement, and capacity, and they're bald faced lying on their very towing guide to circumvent the very purpose of the J2807 test which was to test capacities (standards), and I don't know what a WDH is nor what it does?

:Doh:

Not only do I know what they are and what they do, I've towed 9-10000# trailers with them. Have you?

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Not with a Dodge Ram, but yes, towed a 34ft Crossroads Quad Bunk 9-10k lbs, with a WDH, probably around 10k miles with this same Tundra. And not flat Florida roads. Bought it in Michigan and drove it down through OH and PA mountains in a snowstorm.

Uphill. Both ways. Barefoot.

Tricky question... yes, I feel comfortable with my F150; it's twice the tow rig my Denali ever was. I just towed thr LSV to Shasta and back, over some serious grades... the EcoBoost crushes the hills!

However, I do NOT feel comfortable knowing I'm out of spec, no matter how rediculous I think that spec is.

This pic taken this morning as I pulled the boat up the dirt ramp at Siverthorn

20150619_084502_zpsrzcgdr0e.jpg

sweet setup but you need some rock-tamers if that's what your launch looks like!

Nah... that's just the temporary ramp at Shasta. We're only there once a year.

You are definitely not the typical finance person with that set up. . . Way to break the mold (unless you wear a bowtie).

Sounds like it's time for boatmate to design the goose neck trailer so we can stop talking about this painful subject. But wait!!! Malibu just put out an ad towing the new 25LSV with a 69 Caddy. You think it had the load leveling hitch???? :lol:

People have been towing too much weight for ever! Let's be realistic, the modern 1/2 do it much safer than past years. I am more worried about the goober that lets his/her trailer tires dry rot or forgets to latch down the hitch properly.