Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I'm ordering a 2015 f150 Monday, help please!

MIKEnNC

Must say after years of being in and out of several different trucks, I decided I ain't freakin' around anymore.

Just picked up my next tow rig and could not be more excited. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. DRW, 21+ mpg and endless capability.

Just a teaser till she's where I want her.

I have a picture.......Game changer for sure...LOL

I'm not far behind. 2016 Ford comes out with their new SuperDuty lineup... and Nissan and Toyota both squat our their new diesels...

As I understand it, they too will be all aluminum bodies.

Must say after years of being in and out of several different trucks, I decided I ain't freakin' around anymore.

Just picked up my next tow rig and could not be more excited. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. DRW, 21+ mpg and endless capability.

Just a teaser till she's where I want her.

Looking forward to this one.

And this pic illustrates why SAE standards have this truck overloaded and how a WDH allow the truck to get 10k tow ratings.

Could you expand upon why you say that?

And this pic illustrates why SAE standards have this truck overloaded and how a WDH allow the truck to get 10k tow ratings.

I assume your referring to the sagging. If you looked close you would notice that the truck tires are in the gutter and the trailer is riding up on the curb. Normally the trailer sits level with the truck. When I did the leveling kit I intentionally left the rear end an inch higher than the front.

He's overloaded. That truck has a 5k regular capacity(that's a weight carrying config, not a WDH).... IF it's empty and nothing in the bed.... If he had a WDH with torsion bars... Approx 40% of that rear sag tongue weight you see there would be transfered to the FRONT tires and that truck could tow 10-12k safely.

That boat/trailer weighs 5000lbs+. Regardless of the curb, it's clear that with a series of badly dips in the road those front tires would not be entirely effective at steering and braking.

That truck is overloaded, that that's why SAE J2807 standards came to be. Airbags and all the other suspension leveling tricks don't fix it either because you jack the rear back up, it'd still be overloaded albeit level and overloaded.

Most 3/4tons buy you an ~8000lb weight carrying hitch rating. And many of the new F250s only allow 5k off the hitch vs 17k on 5th wheel.

GMs, they haven't complied with SAE they helped write 5yrs ago, so their ratings are still inflated about 30% till they comply.

I'm not hating, I'm in the same category, I need a 3/4ton myself.

My truck doesn't sag like that with heavy loads. Maybe it's the lift?

my 2014 F150 with 5.0 and 3:55 tows great. Don't let the marketing fool you, the 5.0 is no dog. Not saying its better at towing than ecoboost. I'm just saying that Ford marketing did a great job in making people think that a v8 should only be used for groceries and light towing.

Edited by bamabonners

my 2014 F150 with 5.0 and 3:55 tows great. Don't let the marketing fool you, the 5.0 is no dog. Not saying its better at towing than ecoboost. I'm just saying that Ford marketing did a great job in making people think that a v8 should only be used for groceries and light towing.

I have a friend that got the exact same truck as me with the 5.0 and it definitely gets better gas mileage and feels more powerful. We believe ford may have underrated the 5.0 to market the ecoboost.

And all add the forced induction crowd is getting stupid numbers out of that little 5.0 too.

Numbers that best even the huffed 6.2l .

For damn sure that Coyote has all kinds of power potential.

For others who are considering/have considered/have purchased a 2015 F-150, what made you choose the 3.5L EB, 2.7L EB, or 5.0? I'm genuinely curious.

5.0 seems bullet proof!

Edited by rennis

I have driven both the 5.0 and 3.5 EB, while towing. EB pulls harder and runs lower rpms while going over our mountain passes. We routinely travel from 2700' to 5000'+ in Elevation.

I have a 2011 xlt off road with the 5.0 and 3.73 locker. I had the previous gen 5.0 in a 97 explorer that was at 190,000 when I sold it, bought it new and never did anything other than normal maintenance, brakes, tires, oil, etc. Was a great motor in that car so I assumed it would be good in my truck. Also when I got mine the only ecoboost motors left on lots were loaded crew cabs, way more than I wanted to spend.

I did tow my 06 vlx with a friends ecoboost i get better milage towing with my 5.0, I didn't like hlw high the ecoboost reved climbing hills.

As for milage with the oe tires I was getting a calculated 20-22 highway milage and combined around 16. Since I changed to 10ply goodyear duratracs 275/70 18's my highway milage has dropped to 18-19 and combined a little under 15.

Love the truck but will be replacing with an aluminum 250 crew cab when they're available, I need a crew cab and an 8 foot bed.

For damn sure that Coyote has all kinds of power potential.

For others who are considering/have considered/have purchased a 2015 F-150, what made you choose the 3.5L EB, 2.7L EB, or 5.0? I'm genuinely curious.

5.0 seems bullet proof!

I went EB on my 2015 due to the low RPM and total torque available. Additionally, I've been able to get 19-20 mpg of mixed driving as my commuter vehicle if I stay out of the turbo as much as possible. When looking at a tow vehicle and daily commuter combo, the EB was the best option.

I wouldn't worry too much about the final drive ratio for purposes of towing with an Ecoboost. These motors peak at like 2500 RPM which is significantly lower than the V8 gas engines (final drive is more important as the torque curve moves to the right). For example, my Tundra has a final drive of 4.3, which is great because the motor's torque peak is much higher. That translates to the Tundra running at higher RPM's at the same speed as the F150 with Ecoboost, which is favorable when towing.

If you're worried about gas mileage, the lower final drive will equate to lower RPM's at the same speed, which will get you better mileage.

Durability is the final factor. Larger gears will tend to be more durable.

He's overloaded. That truck has a 5k regular capacity(that's a weight carrying config, not a WDH).... IF it's empty and nothing in the bed.... If he had a WDH with torsion bars... Approx 40% of that rear sag tongue weight you see there would be transfered to the FRONT tires and that truck could tow 10-12k safely.

That boat/trailer weighs 5000lbs+. Regardless of the curb, it's clear that with a series of badly dips in the road those front tires would not be entirely effective at steering and braking.

That truck is overloaded, that that's why SAE J2807 standards came to be. Airbags and all the other suspension leveling tricks don't fix it either because you jack the rear back up, it'd still be overloaded albeit level and overloaded.

Most 3/4tons buy you an ~8000lb weight carrying hitch rating. And many of the new F250s only allow 5k off the hitch vs 17k on 5th wheel.

GMs, they haven't complied with SAE they helped write 5yrs ago, so their ratings are still inflated about 30% till they comply.

I'm not hating, I'm in the same category, I need a 3/4ton myself.

Just so I'm clear, your argument is that any 1/2 ton (truck or suv) cannot legally tow a modern day wakeboat.

Taking it one step further... there are no more SUVs up to the task as nobody makes a 3/4 ton SUV anymore.

Are there any exceptions??

I chose 5.0 because I was coming from a crap - tactic 2014 gmc that had several known issues that gm couldn't fix. I didn't want ecoboost on the off chance that I got one that had issues. I wanted bullet proof and long lasting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Just so I'm clear, your argument is that any 1/2 ton (truck or suv) cannot legally tow a modern day wakeboat.

Taking it one step further... there are no more SUVs up to the task as nobody makes a 3/4 ton SUV anymore.

Are there any exceptions??

That's roughly correct... Unless you go through the PITA of using a WDH and torsion bars every time you tow. THEN you get to those Advertized tow ratings of 10-12k you see everywhere.

Shawn can't even tow his 23LSV in compliance with his 3/4t Expedition without a WDH lol.

And yep there is an exception right now, all GM trucks and SUVs, only because they are the last to comply with the SAE standards. Within a year or two that will comply and theirs will drop 30% like everyone else's. Right now GM is spaz'd trying to figure out how to respond to Ford's aluminum bodies and Eco engines, much less deal with tow ratings dropping.

And.... MANY of the 3/4tons are 5k regular tow also. They are rated up to maybe 8100ish for a regular weight carrying tow. A guy on the Nautique forum bought a 2015 F250 Lariat to tow his 8500lb G to crawl under it and see a sticker on the factory hitch saying a 5k limit!

It's not till you get WDH or 5th wheel that you get these higher ratings. And many of the 3/4tons can only carry 5k hitch max.... Maybe up to 8k on some.

Really looking forward to the 2016 F250s with aluminum... Hopefully 9k regular tow rating.

That's roughly correct... Unless you go through the PITA of using a WDH and torsion bars every time you tow. THEN you get to those Advertized tow ratings of 10-12k you see everywhere.

Shawn can't even tow his 23LSV in compliance with his 3/4t Expedition without a WDH lol.

And yep there is an exception right now, all GM trucks and SUVs, only because they are the last to comply with the SAE standards. Within a year or two that will comply and theirs will drop 30% like everyone else's. Right now GM is spaz'd trying to figure out how to respond to Ford's aluminum bodies and Eco engines, much less deal with tow ratings dropping.

And.... MANY of the 3/4tons are 5k regular tow also. They are rated up to maybe 8100ish for a regular weight carrying tow. A guy on the Nautique forum bought a 2015 F250 Lariat to tow his 8500lb G to crawl under it and see a sticker on the factory hitch saying a 5k limit!

It's not till you get WDH or 5th wheel that you get these higher ratings. And many of the 3/4tons can only carry 5k hitch max.... Maybe up to 8k on some.

Really looking forward to the 2016 F250s with aluminum... Hopefully 9k regular tow rating.

I'm looking forward to this as well.