Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I'm ordering a 2015 f150 Monday, help please!

MIKEnNC

Hello crew, I need some help. I'm pulling a mxz22 on dual axle boat mate trailer and ordering new truck Monday. (ecoboost f150). Yes I've read and searched for my questions but reading all the arguing on diff threads and sites just adds to the confusion. Should I order max tow package? Will I be within spec and compliant with that setup? Also really confused about the gears. Not sure to go with 3.31 or 3.55. ,,,, anyone know advantages? How's it work, which is better for gas mileage? Which is better for torque? Which do I need? I tow about 65 miles each way once a weekend sometimes twice to the lake I go to. Other than that just to and from work. Only towing is to the lake on weekends. My current 5.3 Chevy struggles pulling it and runs high rpms the whole way. So from what I've read f150 ecoboost seems to be truck for me together good gas mileage and towing performance with a gasser. And I like the truck. Please assist with info if u truly know the answers, thank u

If max tow still means getting super duty mirrors, I would order for that reason alone. The 3.55 will be better for towing over hills. The 3.31 will be better for fuel economy. As for as if you'll be in spec. Isn't the tow rating around 11k?

I just got a 2015 F150 and tow a 2014 23 LSV. I have the upgraded, not heavy duty, tow package and it has a class IV hitch with the oil and transmission coolers. I would definitely get the 3.5 EB. I'm running the 3.31 electronic locking rear end and it tows fine. I'm getting 19 mpg not towing, and that's country highways and a little interstate driving.

I'm doing a lariat fx4 sport package. I am getting the towing mirrors which is an option by itself. I do plan on doing a small lift and some 33s with same wheels that are on my boat trailer. I do want best gas mileage I can get but want to make sure I get correct gears that best suits all my needs. I know there isn't a perfect solution for what I want. I just want the best solution. Power, performance, gas mileage, and can handle the Small lift and slightly larger wheels. Is there a happy median?

Waking, which gears do u have?

Edited by MIKEnNC

I've got a 14 F150 with 3.55's and it tows fine. If you're planning to up-size the tires I'd get the lower gear ratio (which is actually a higher number numerically) as the tires will offset it some I believe. I'd probably order the MAX TOW if I was you....just saying the extra payload is REALLY nice to have.

Edited by That Guy

My 2011 had the 3.5EB with the max tow package and 3.73 rear end. The 3.73 is no longer available to my knowledge. That thing was super strong. My 2014 3.5EB has 3.31 and I realize much better gas mileage. I don't tow much, but have not seen it as an issue. If I had a VLX, VTX, or LSV I would have opted for the 3.55 and max tow package.

I drove a '15 two weeks ago that had the 3.73 and 5.0. It must still be available but not common. My body shop is attached to a small ford dealership. I look at every window sticker when the trucks get dropped off. That was the first 3.73 i had seen in the '15s.

Lift and larger tires are in conflict with fuel mileage. That being said, always get the lowest gears(highest numerically) and the best tow package if you are towing a heavy boat.

Looking at the build tool, the heavy duty payload package comes with 3.73 and max tow comes with 3.55. Pretty stupid package naming.

Edited by oldjeep

I'm doing a lariat fx4 sport package. I am getting the towing mirrors which is an option by itself. I do plan on doing a small lift and some 33s with same wheels that are on my boat trailer. ?

For the cost of that truck and options why not just go for the diesel? I had ecoboost (which was awesome) and now have had a diesel for 3 years... never have I wished I still had the EB. Much more interior room, much better towing and handling of larger loads and much less impact to performance/economy when you start adding wheels and tires.

Either way you will love the EB power over the gutless 5.3 in the gm line up. Our 5.3 suburban was brutal pulling our boat to the lake. We now have a Denali with the 6.2 and it is drastically better and gets better economy than our 5.3.

I have a '13 F150 EcoBoost with small lift and 34's. It has 3.73 rear end. My gas mileage sucked before and after the bigger tires. But it tows great.

As much as I enjoy the EcoBoost, if I get another truck it will be a 3/4 ton diesel.

D7K_6238_zpsaaedd4f3.jpg

I have a 14 EB FX4 with max tow. It has the 3.73 gears and I'm glad I went with it. I leveled the truck and put 34" Nittos on. I was getting 16 mpg before tires and now 14 mpg after. I love the towing, even after the tires. We tow a '14 A22 between 20 and 100 miles and it is a night and day difference from my Nissan Titan.

I have a 14 EB FX4 with max tow. It has the 3.73 gears and I'm glad I went with it. I leveled the truck and put 34" Nittos on. I was getting 16 mpg before tires and now 14 mpg after. I love the towing, even after the tires. We tow a '14 A22 between 20 and 100 miles and it is a night and day difference from my Nissan Titan.

How about a pic?

I have a '13 F150 EcoBoost with small lift and 34's. It has 3.73 rear end. My gas mileage sucked before and after the bigger tires. But it tows great.

As much as I enjoy the EcoBoost, if I get another truck it will be a 3/4 ton diesel.

D7K_6238_zpsaaedd4f3.jpg

Love that truck!

Must say after years of being in and out of several different trucks, I decided I ain't freakin' around anymore.

Just picked up my next tow rig and could not be more excited. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. DRW, 21+ mpg and endless capability.

Just a teaser till she's where I want her.

So you did go ahead with... Lookin' forward to seeing what the end plan is!

Must say after years of being in and out of several different trucks, I decided I ain't freakin' around anymore.

Just picked up my next tow rig and could not be more excited. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. DRW, 21+ mpg and endless capability.

Just a teaser till she's where I want her.

Drw. Damn son. You gonna tow two boats ?