Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"Eng Fault" and "Check Trans" Messages with beeping

We have a 2008 Wakesetter 23LSV with the 340 Monsoon. We went out last night and boat was fine (as it has been since the start of the season about three weeks ago), went for the last pull and the screen display showed the quoted messages while beeping and flashing back and forth. This did not happen at idle, only when I engaged in gear and started to pull my son up. Shut down and checked trans fluid. All good. Started up to take it home and as soon as I started to accelerate it happened again. Limped home at idle speed without issue. Checked and changed trans fluid this evening when I got home from work. No discoloration or smell from old fluid. No noises or anything unusual with it when running last night. Took it out after the fluid change and the same thing happened. Brought it home, checked here for ideas, and checked the water cooling trans line for obstruction - all good there and running temp has been right at 160F like usual the whole time.

Anything else I can/should check? Is there a sensor that could be bad? Battery seems ok and isn't that old (second season with it), but I could swap it too if maybe that can cause this? Never happened before and we've had it since new in 2008.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Mike

Two quick thoughts. Have you checked the v drive fluid as well? Some people confuse the v drive for the transmission just cause it's the first dipstick they come across. Just wanna make sure you are considering both or not confusing them. There are 2 red dipsticks. The other thought is to go to the set up screen on your dash and look for fault codes. Then try to read the codes, depending on the dash it may give you a better description of the problem

Two quick thoughts. Have you checked the v drive fluid as well? Some people confuse the v drive for the transmission just cause it's the first dipstick they come across. Just wanna make sure you are considering both or not confusing them. There are 2 red dipsticks. The other thought is to go to the set up screen on your dash and look for fault codes. Then try to read the codes, depending on the dash it may give you a better description of the problem

Thanks GD. Yes, I checked and changed both fluid supplies. I stopped at the dealer to talk to the service manager there too. I filled the supplies and screwed in the dipstick to check the level. He told me not to screw it in when checking it. So, I'll add more and try again, but even with that, I know I'd still be above the lower line and that likely is not the issue here. He also thinks it may be the sensor/switch, so I'll check the wires for connections or corrosion.

I'm not sure how I can check for more code detail on my screen, but I'll try going through the display menus and report back on findings.

Appreciate the help and still hoping to save the weekend. Otherwise I have to take it in and it will be at least a week to get it back.

Update, I checked the screen/display and got the following fault code detail for the engine:

FAULT 1 of 1

CAT_A TEMP SENSOR

SPN 65671 CM 0

VOLTAGE SHORT or

ABOVE NORMAL RANGE

FMI 3 OC 64

Does this mean anything to anyone that can help move this along?

I had some type of cat sensor fault a couple of seasons ago but it would not send the boat into limp mode. Malibu and Inmar were familiar with the issue and the solution was to disconnect the sensor and install a resistor kit to fool the ECM into tin kin it was seeing the correct temperature. I went by Inmar and they actually made a couple of the kits for me.

Hope that helps.

I had some type of cat sensor fault a couple of seasons ago but it would not send the boat into limp mode. Malibu and Inmar were familiar with the issue and the solution was to disconnect the sensor and install a resistor kit to fool the ECM into tin kin it was seeing the correct temperature. I went by Inmar and they actually made a couple of the kits for me.

Hope that helps.

The boat did not go into limp mode (I had that with my '02, so I know what you mean). It actually ran fine with no unusual noise or power issues. Just the code that flashed up on the screen alarmed me to "limp" it home, so I wouldn't create any issues beyond what might be in there.

After reading as much as I could on this, it looks like the issue you describe is like mine too, but may be unrelated to the "Check Trans" message? The code for the Cat Sensor could have possibly even been there for a long time perhaps? I saw your other post on the resistor method - did that clear the code and you just left the sensor in place? Mine is showing Cat A which appears to be on the Starboard side - is that correct? That sensor looks like it has "burnt discoloration" and the opposite one on the Passenger/Port side looks good. I could swap them to see if the code switches too I suppose.

As for the other message, so far I've changed the trans fluid, charged the battery, and put in a new impeller just for some diligence and peace of mind - all of the old fluids and conditions appeared good too and there were no signs of anything really wrong.

I'm hoping to take it out after the rain stops here and see what the current status is.

BCB, could you send me any details on what you got from Indmar and how your boat has been since you had the Cat Sensor issue? Greatly appreciate the response!

MIke

I was getting the cat sensor code just about every time I went out. After I put the resistors in and left the sensors disconnected I haven't had the code again. I don't remember the size of the resistor but try reaching out to Engine Nut on here if he is still around. I'll see if I can find any old emails when I get to the office.

Another update here. I bought the 470 ohm resistors to put in, but wanted to check something first. I swapped sides of the Cat sensors to see if the code would switch to the B side. The fault code completely went away in the active line in the dash menu and it has not come back. I'll just hang on to the resistors and do the install if it comes back.

I still did get the Check Trans message that pops up and, when I hit my E button, it goes away and stays off. The fault code is different than the Cat sensor code was - SPN 65701 and it doesn't stay in the system like the other one did. Seems to reset and not hold on next start ups. The boat runs absolutely perfectly, so I suppose it should go in to the dealer to see how the code can be confirmed and/or cleared? Really would prefer not to bring it in to them if there's anything I can check.

Any other thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

The resistor install above solved the Cat sensor issue, but not the ENG FAULT/CHECK TRANS message.

Basically, I start-up, drive about ten minutes at idle to get out of our channel, the second I increase speed it comes up with the message. Pushing the E button on the displays stops the beep and message, drive three minutes and it comes on again, push button it stops. This repeats one more time after another three minutes and then it it gone for the remainder of the time we're out, unless I stop the engine and start again, after which this all repeats. Everything is running great, I just think it's a sensor gone wacky somewhere, but don't know where to check. Since the code (SPN 65701) doesn't stay in the system, not sure if the dealer would see the actual problem unless they sent a tech out to ride and see it first hand.

Just want to clear this up without losing too much time in a shop if possible. Like I said, it really runs perfect and the signal pops up and then is completely gone as long as I don't stop and restart the boat.

Thanks for any possible input guys.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Mike, My name is Mike as well and I have a 2008 Wakesetter VLX. I am experiencing the exact same problem that you had and it just started this weekend. Same codes and everything. I am getting ready to take the boat to the dealer. Just wondering if you can tell me what your issue ended up being. Thanks a million!!!

Mike

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, KOBA said:

Hey guys! I am from Ukraine (Malibu VTX) and I have the Same problem during last 2 years! Did you solve it!?

Привіт, друже!  Sadly, this appears to be a very long running (dating back to at least 2010!) problem.  The code appears in lots of engines as :

SPN 65701 or 65702 SPN Descriptors SPN 65701 FMI 31: General Warning Sensor 1 Not Available SPN 65702 FMI 31: General Warning Sensor 2 Not Available

My _guess_ is that it is ECM firmware.

7 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Привіт, друже!  Sadly, this appears to be a very long running (dating back to at least 2010!) problem.  The code appears in lots of engines as :

SPN 65701 or 65702 SPN Descriptors SPN 65701 FMI 31: General Warning Sensor 1 Not Available SPN 65702 FMI 31: General Warning Sensor 2 Not Available

My _guess_ is that it is ECM firmware.

How can I update ECM firmware ?

P.S.Ти спілкуєшся українською!?

If it is the ECM it is usually done by your dealer.  Do they have one in Kyiv? It might be possible to flash the firmware yourself but you puld need the PC connection.  That is assuming it is really the fix and it is not something else.  I wish I had a better answer for you.

p.s. Так. І російська. Я працював вУкраїні минулого року.  (The hardest thing is using the darn virtual keyboard for the character set!  :) )