Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Overheated on the lake yesterday A24

So took the boat out to the dealer today and got a call a short while later that they figured it out and its ready to pickup. Awesome news. The temp according to the info the retrieved from the computer states that it reach 225.. Hot, but thank goodness not hot or hot enough for long enough to create any damage they said.

Apparently, there is a pee hole that was clogged with some sort of black stuff, they think paint from the engine building possibly? Somehow completely clogged this pee hole and caused only half of the engine to receive water for cooling. They said they will show me this pee hole, that I had no idea existed, but they said it does exist on what is considered a high output motor (Indmar 409).. And they said the 350 (same engine without some stuff done to it to get 59 more HP's outta it?) doesn't have this pee hole.

I will find out more Friday when I pick it up, but sounds like i'm gonna be back on the water this weekend!

Changed out the impeller since we had it out also..

I also have the 409. Please keep us posted on your findings...glad they figured it out. I always run my boat on a fake lake first run of season and if it sits for a period of time. Just to make sure everything is running well and cooling system is working properly. That 409 is and pretty durable engine, my friend has over 400 hours on his and it over heated once at 120ish hours.

• 3 years later...

I had an overheating issue where all of the above was done twice....boat would get to 165 and thermal shutdown. Dealer finally figured out I had a bad control module after 1 season of use...sure it’s solved by now but maybe someone else runs into the same issue. 2015 Axis A24 Vandall 

• 2 years later...

Just got told the same thing by the dealer, plugged "pee hole" hoping they will show me where it is as it is costing $180 to disconnect the hoses and clean it out.  I'll post an image if I find out.

The Monsoon 409 ( 6.0L GM L96 ) has a reverse flow cooling system.  Engines with a closed cooling system would normally purge the air from the heads using the small steel tube between the heads to the coolant recovery tank.  The standard open cooling system on these engines purge the air from the sea water coolant in the engine through the same tube, but then it goes to a small rubber hose and then either to the exhaust manifolds, the muffler, or to a fitting on the transom near the exhaust outlet depending on the model year.

The problem with using sea water as engine coolant is that debris can get clogged in the small steel tube that purges air from the cylinder heads.  This is worse when a sea water strainer is not used or in water that has high amounts of salt or calcium.

If the purge hoses become clogged the engine coolant temperature will rise and overheat at idle or low speeds, especially at initial startup.  The solution is to get the engine over 2000 RPM until the coolant temperature goes down, or to clean the hoses and tube regularly.

• 9 months later...
On 6/9/2021 at 11:07 AM, AaronMefford said:

Just got told the same thing by the dealer, plugged "pee hole" hoping they will show me where it is as it is costing $180 to disconnect the hoses and clean it out.  I'll post an image if I find out.

Where you ever able to get a picture of this pee hole?

On 4/6/2022 at 12:36 PM, PigPen13 said:

Where you ever able to get a picture of this pee hole?

Here is a picture of an external purge vent fitting on a 2013 Malibu with an Indmar engine.  It is the chrome fitting above the exhaust in the top left of the photo.  Earlier models use a fitting on the muffler and other engine builders, like Pleasurecraft, use fittings on the exhaust manifolds.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxfer2w4fhgkivz/2013 Malibu wedge.jpg?dl=0

On 6/1/2015 at 2:44 PM, haresource2 said:

Change the impeller. It might look ok but still be faulty. They can basically spin the hub, middle turns fins don't. I know this because I spent 3 hours last 4th July checking everything. Change impeller all was good.

I had the same experience.  I have 2019 A22.  Changed to a new impeller and I went with Sierra brand impeller.  Replace it easily after watching You Tube video, (no brainer).  During my first outing I had same situation with alarms  and warnings.  Shut it off and tried to troubleshoot and called my boat dealer.  They suggested putting the old impeller back in so I did, on the water.  Instantly fixed my overheating issue.  I will never use off brand impeller again.  Purchased two new PCM impellers and never had problem again.  The Sierra impeller that was defective looked as good as new after taking it out.  My suspicion is that the rubber part was slipping on the brass shaft part.  Not sure.