Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need some wiring help please

ncsumalibu

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

I am in the process of wiring up a new Clarion M505 head unit relocated under the dash after the old JVC in the armrest died last summer. I have everything hooked up right except the remote turn on wire is stumping me. Here is the diagram and how I have it hooked up now. Boat is a 2002 vlx by the way.

Yellow wire - Battery + (same as amps)

Red and Orange/white - Radio Rocker Switch Power out

Black - Battery - (same as amps)

Blue/White - amp turn on lead

I'm confused because with it wired like that above the head unit powers up fine when I flip the rocker switch to send power to the red wire however the amps don't power up. I see in the diagram that it says to also connect the blue/white to the "vessel power supply terminal for antenna" but I'm not exactly sure what that is/means. If I hook a wire between the blue/white and the red switched wire everything comes on and works as it is supposed to but the rocker switch stays powered even after you flip the switch back off and doesn't go off unless you power down the head unit manually. If I connect the yellow and red to the same power out on the switch everything works but the memory settings can't be kept this way.

I guess my main question is how should I be wiring up the amp turn on power? Should I just bypass the head unit all together and wire the amp turn on lead to the rocker switch power out I'm using to "power on " the head unit via the red wire?

M505%20Diagram.jpg

I guess my main question is how should I be wiring up the amp turn on power? Should I just bypass the head unit all together and wire the amp turn on lead to the rocker switch power out I'm using to "power on " the head unit via the red wire?

I don't think you should bypass the head unit all together.

You are currently running the blue/white wire from the head unit to the amp remote terminal, correct? Not the blue wire (that is for a power antenna and probably will only have voltage when the head unit is set to AM/FM).

If you have a voltmeter check what voltage you have on the blue/white wire coming out of the head unit when you turn the head unit on.

I don't think you should bypass the head unit all together.

You are currently running the blue/white wire from the head unit to the amp remote terminal, correct? Not the blue wire (that is for a power antenna and probably will only have voltage when the head unit is set to AM/FM).

If you have a voltmeter check what voltage you have on the blue/white wire coming out of the head unit when you turn the head unit on.

Yes on the blue/white wire run to amp remote. I don't have a voltmeter but the blue/white wire will not light up a test light when the head unit has power. The directions in the diagram to connect it to both the amp remote terminal and the "vessel power terminal for antenna" has me stumped.

Unless you also installed a power antenna, the head-unit bl/wt will only be connected to the amp's turn-on terminal. If the head-unit powers up, not just an idle mode where the clock is displayed, but actually on, and the amps do not wake up, you need to grab a volt meter and check the battery voltage at the amps and the turn-on teminal

The directions in the diagram to connect it to both the amp remote terminal and the "vessel power terminal for antenna" has me stumped.

I think is just a different option to power the antenna so it doesn't go up and down when you change between FM and CD or Aux.

You had the test light connected to the blue/wire wire and ground, and had the head unit turned on?

I did but I will double check. Like I said if I jump the blue/white wire to the rocker switch everything works and radio plays as it should

I did but I will double check. Like I said if I jump the blue/white wire to the rocker switch everything works and radio plays as it should

Yeah it sounds like your issue is with the head unit lead, not the amp lead. I would borrow a voltmeter (or buy one, they do not have to be expensive and are very use full if you do anything electrical) and check the voltage on the head unit acc power lead (blue/white wire). If you do not have power on the blue/white wire coming from the head unit (with the head unit fully powered up), double check the harness going into the head unit. Check that harness is fully seated to the head unit, and that the blue/white wire is fully seated in the harness. If those are fully seated, unplug the harness and make sure there are no bent pins.

If this is a new head unit and you do not have power on the blue/white wire, and your connections are ok, the issue is internal to the head unit and I would send it back.

You could wire your amp turn on leads to your rocker switch I guess, but best practice method to use the head unit's turn on lead.

Seems that the new head unit will not output power to the remote turn on lead until an actual bluetooth device is connected. Everything works as it's supposed to with my phone paired or if I switch to the fm tuner. Now to build my amp rack and clean up the rats nest of wiring in the storage compartment. Thanks all!

• 4 years later...