Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 XTI

wanttofly

Had the boat out several times this year and everything was working fine. Went to go fill my center tank and it's not filling. The weird part is that I'd I turn on the pump to fill, nothing happens. If I put it ti dump I can hear the pump running. Before I go buy a new pump, should I reverse the switch to make sure it's not that? What other trouble shooting can I do? My logic tells me it's the same pump for filling and dumping, so it's probably not the pump. Thanks.

My 04 has two pumps one to fill and one to drain. My fill pump is in the ski locker just aft of the bag, standing vertical. These are modular pumps and it is possible to replace just the motor.

The fill pump is separate from the drain pump. Its the one that's screwed into the brass fitting on floor to suck water from the lake/river. They are only $30-$50 online and easy to replace if you can access it.

Edited by bunji169

I just replaced all 6 pumps in my 05 Vride. Most of the Malibu's around that year came with the Piranha pumps. I'm not sure how many ballast tanks you have in your Xti, but most tanks have two pumps per tank. I found that Tsunami makes an affordable replacement for about $25. I picked mine up at wakemakers, but I forgot to order the 3/4 barb adapter. They also carry the Piranha pumps too, but cost a little more and you won't need to spend $4.99 for the adapter. If you want to diagnose the problem before ordering a replacement pump get a test light and make sure your getting 12 volts at the pump.

The pumps can become stuck as well. Sometimes it's as simple as removing the one Philips screw securing the screw on ring, unscrewing the blue ring, pulling the pump cartridge out and spinning the impeller by hand. Sometimes they get corroded or get debris in them and will stick. If you have power to it and it spins freely, but still won't work, more than likely you'll need a new pump.

My drain is easier than the fill pump. However, pulled my boat out of the water to pull the pump, got home, and it was working....something must have been in the pump and got jammed free. It's back in the water and working great.