Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Sunsetter VLX vs Nautique Super Sport / Search Thread

BlknYlwT22

Thinking about possible upgrading our secondary boat ('97 SN 196 Closed Bow) to an older style v-drive. My folks mainly use this boat as their cruiser around the lake and entertaining when they have friends over (I realize it is probably a sin to own a boat like this and rarely use it for skiing). Anyways, we stumbled upon a '96 Super Sport Nautique (I would prefer a 97-99) that we are now mulling over. The biggest reason for the change would simply be for room. Obviously a v-drive is a whole lot more conducive for entertaining when they have company over. Another advantage is the fact that these boats would probably handle the chop a bit better than the boat we currently have. I just wanted to get you opinions on whether or not an early style Malibu v-drive is better than the Nautique.

I could also use some help finding a really nice v-drive (with no tower) with lower hours.

Edited by BlknYlwT22

My dealer has 2. Not sure what your budget is. I know they are not nautique's, but the first one they have been sitting on for a long time, I'm sure you could get a great deal on it.

http://www.valleymarine.net/product_detail.asp?id=603

http://www.valleymarine.net/product_detail.asp?id=682

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ndahlberg12

Would absolutely love to have the first one you posted but our budget is going to be something below 20k. Sorry I should have clarified.

Would absolutely love to have the first one you posted but our budget is going to be something below 20k. Sorry I should have clarified.

Shoot, sorry. That boat has been for sale for over a year. Maybe 2.

Shoot, sorry. That boat has been for sale for over a year. Maybe 2.

If they'd sell it for 20k I'd be all over it but so would a lot of other people :) . The Super Sport I have found is well below 20k and has low hours. May be to tough to pass up. From what I can tell there aren't many options out there.

How much are you guys thinking of listing the 97 Nautique for? Might have a guy interested (and I probably would have been this Spring before I bought my PS190!)

Probably in the mid teens. The boat only has 300 hours on it and is in great shape. It would make a heck of a tow rig for someone.

ahopkins22LSV

Can I saw wait to find the Malibu in your range just because? I think it is a crime to have a Malibu and a Nautique on the same dock. You are lucky you haven't been prosectuted yet... :whistle:

Can I saw wait to find the Malibu in your range just because? I think it is a crime to have a Malibu and a Nautique on the same dock. You are lucky you haven't been prosectuted yet... :whistle:

You would be hard pressed though if you saw the price and condidtion of this Nautique. The mid to late 90s Nautiques just seem so solid. I think it would be hard to find a malibu like this and I'm not sure it would be a better boat. Que the flaming in 3....2....1.....

The Nautique's were great boats. I would prefer it over a similair year malibu myself. Was looking at them as an "intermediate boat" before we bought the wakesetter.

The Nautique's were great boats. I would prefer it over a similair year malibu myself. Was looking at them as an "intermediate boat" before we bought the wakesetter.

I am certainly leaning towards the Nautique I have stumbled on. I wish it was a 97-99 simply because of looks but I am pretty sure the boat itself didn't change much between 95-99.

ahopkins22LSV

I used to ski the same Nautique you have and it was indead a great boat. Everyone who ever skied it loved it. I like the older Nautiques better than the newer ones IMO. I just couldn't own one ;)

• Like 2

Is it just a lake Cadillac you're looking for, or do you want some performance and skiability with that? If so, get an '01 SS VLX or '02-04 Sunscape 21 LSV. They'll outhandle, out-accelerate, and out-ski the Nautique V drives of the era.

If you're just looking for an entertainment rig, why not get a nice pontoon boat? Seriously.

Just looking for a lake Cadillac really. I'd love to buy that era of Malibu but don't think I am going to find one for 13k, 350 hours, in what apprears to be good condition.

We have a pontoon and it's for sale. We bought it last summer and it was a total flop.

Just looking for a lake Cadillac really. I'd love to buy that era of Malibu but don't think I am going to find one for 13k, 350 hours, in what apprears to be good condition.

We have a pontoon and it's for sale. We bought it last summer and it was a total flop.

Should buy a mild fixer-upper Cobalt.

Should buy a mild fixer-upper Cobalt.

Beautiful/nice boats undoubtedly, but my old man really likes having an inboard (The T22 is to big and bulky for my parents to manage on their own. Pulling onto lift, wiping down, covering, ect). That would be like asking you to go from your VLX to an I/O. And while I realize your use for the boat is different from my folks, I highly doubt you would have any interest in that. We all have said it, "Once you own an inboard you won't want anything else." I know I certainly feel that way. All the boats we had while I was a kid were I/Os and the dream my dad and I shared was to own an inboard. It's only been in the last 5 years that we finally were in the financial position to own one and have been lucky enough to own 4 different inboards in that time frame. I can't ask my dad to give up what he's always wanted and finally has the chance to own and cruise around in. It's unorthodox, I know, but it's what works for us. They have the '97 now, just thought this could be an even better situation for them.

Edited by BlknYlwT22

a 96 super sport won't ride all that great to be honest. That hull is actually quite flat with just a narrow v in the middle. At that time it was a tweaked ski nautique 2001 (not year) hull design which is actually pretty similar to your current 97. Look at your 97 from the rear and then the 96 super sport. You won't see much difference. If you cna get for a great price then that's great, but it's ride quality isn't near what a modern V drive is. How about like a sunsetter lxi? Opne up the bow, would actually be longer than that super sport. just a thought.

Looks like the boat fell through. If you know of an late 90s v-drives (Malibu or Nautique) please post it here.

• 4 weeks later...