Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Allergies after riding

isellacuras

Dalt1 - Are you using the 3M Transpore Tape?

I get surfer's drip after a hard day in the waves. I will be sitting at my desk after a morning session, then all of a sudden ocean water just pours out of my nose. If it gets real bad, then I end up with a sinus infection...no bueno

Also happens when taking tough falls behind the boat.

I personally do well with the antihistamine eye drops, and nasal sprays during boating season. The allergens that affect your sinuses are not the large particles you see.

Dalt1 - Are you using the 3M Transpore Tape?

I get surfer's drip after a hard day in the waves. I will be sitting at my desk after a morning session, then all of a sudden ocean water just pours out of my nose. If it gets real bad, then I end up with a sinus infection...no bueno

Also happens when taking tough falls behind the boat.

http://www.amazon.com/Nexcare-Clear-Tape-Yd/dp/B001EY5B82/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1432863526&sr=8-6&keywords=transparent+medical+tape

This is what I use.

I also suffer from bad allergies, for some reason always seems to be better on the lakes. I hope you can find a remedy, I just take the non drowsy over counter stuff which seems to help. Haha, maybe a ride on the delta every once in awhile might cure it! :-)

I had the same issue and about 5-6 years ago I did the allergy shots. It helped with spring allergies but it treated allergies I had at the time and now I have some bad days. I tried Nasacort last year with little relief and this year I went to Flonase. I cannot stress how much this has worked for me. I do take it regularly through the spring which is a key to many meds but in the last week we have had lower temps so windows are open again and as soon as the throat starts itching and nasal congestion starts, I use the Flonase and within a 1/2 hour I have relief. I have tried everything and this is my new go to medicine.

I have had this issue for years. Tried taping nose....it was a pita and i looked like an idiot. I use Flonase or similar daily the spray with Afrin type product as soon as i get off the water. I also found limiting Gluten helps too. Red wine, smoking, drugs, etc all make it much worse. Luckily i steer clear of most of that now and stay in the routine of Flonase and Afrin. Just be careful with Afrin. I only use right after watersports twice a week max.

Edited by WaBackcountry

I have had this issue for years. Tried taping nose....it was a pita and i looked like an idiot. I use Flonase or similar daily the spray with Afrin type product as soon as i get off the water. I also found limiting Gluten helps too. Red wine, smoking, drugs, etc all make it much worse. Luckily i steer clear of most of that now and stay in the routine of Flonase and Afrin. Just be careful with Afrin. I only use right after watersports twice a week max.

DSC04461.jpgI'm taped up here, I will take the idiot look, it works for the sinus infection prevention.

With the OTC sprays like Flonase and others, don't expect immediate relief. Don't even expect relief the same day if you are just starting. It takes a few days to load if you haven't taken it in a while. That's why they say start out with 2 sprays per nostril and drop to 1 after things are under control.

Careful with the Afrin. That stuff can cause worse withdrawal congestion than you originally took it to eliminate if you don't go easy on it.

Try eating honey that's is farmed in your local area. It has helped me build immunity, and I only need a Zyrtec before I ski.

This has helped me a little bit, I've found you have to get stuff that is REALLY local. 20 miles away won't help.

DSC04461.jpgI'm taped up here, I will take the idiot look, it works for the sinus infection prevention.

It didn't work for me. i hated the look and feel of a taped nose. Glad it works for u though.

I'm with dalt...tape up the snout. Learning to do a barefoot deep water start w/o tape was just awful for me. Tape it shut and I'm good to go!

I've had allergies for 40+ years.

This year started as one of the worst but since has easily been the best with little to no problems ounce I got it figured out.

I've tried nearly every over the counter drug, nose sprays and eye drops.

Alcohol, sugar, carbs, cats,all sorts of things would make it worse.

This year after the season had started and was not going well I was at the drug store ounce again and talking with one of the ladies that works behind the counter and she suggested Aerius.

For me, it has been a life saver, unbelievable results and I don't need to worry about quitting drinking beer or anything

Take one as soon as you wake up each morning with a glass of water.

I do believe you have another problem as well as allergies. I think the water getting trapped is whole different problem but give the Aerius a try, it worked for me.

GOOD LUCK allergies suck

Edited by 302Zapper

Nose plugs suck. They will come off on a good header. I just tape my nose shut with some clear medical tape from Walgreens. Works amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same issue as the OP. Thought it was allergies, dealt with it for many years and finally broke down and went to an Ear/Nose/throat doctor. Turns out I have no allergies based on allergy testing but I did have one heluva sinus infection. Doc described it as a 9 with 10 being the worst, and I was actually feeling ok at the time wasn't stuffed up or anything. The doc sum used that I got a sinus infection first time in the water and it never went away until boating season was over. They want me to do the sinus surgery but can't bring myself to do it so far.

The problem is so bad for me that I can't even really enjoy water sports anymore. I'm going the tape route or something similar like has been recomended. The problem is brutal and those of you with good sinuses consider yourselves lucky, it's one pain in the arse to have.