Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 Wakesetter 23 LSV vs 2007 Wakesetter 247?

TexasAg98

Looking to buy my first Malibu and first V drive. I have two that have caught my eye.

1. 2007 23 LSV Wakesetter with 5.7 Monsoon

2. 2007 247 LSV Wakesetter with 6.2 Hammerhead

The 247 is about $5,000 more.

We are a family of 5, and will probably have at least 3 - 5 additional people with us most of the time. We are just getting into wake boarding and surfing. Other than length and engine size (and gas consumption), what are the major differences between the two? Is there anything that one does considerably better than the other? Are there any known issues with one that the other doesn't have? Any features that are only available on one of them?

Also, I have read the posts about buying a used boat, but is there anything specific to these two models that I should make sure to pay attention to when I go inspect and lake test them?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Try and find one with a 8.1

I owned a 2006 247 with the Hammerhead for 4 years. I live at 2700 feet elevation. I think most places in Texas are going to be lower than that. I have also owned a MC X45 with the 8.1 engine that is identical to what was put into Malibu in those years. I too was concerned about having the 'smaller' engine, but found it to be a non-issue. A Hammerhead motor will do everything you want it to do, unless wakeboarding with 2500+ pounds on top of the stock ballast is your thing. I even wakeboarded with 1800 pounds on top of stock ballast and wedge and did just fine. That was reaching the limit however at my elevation. You will want to make sure you have a prop for heavier weights if it still has the stock 537. In the 4 years I had the boat, I never regretted the purchase.

The 8.1 was better, no doubt about it, but not necessary by any means. If one is easy to find, for sure try and get it. I would not try and kill myself to find one. It was a 14K upgrade when the boat was new, and there will be a premium for it now. If you are developing a relationship with a dealer, it might not be a great idea to land on his doorstep with a boat you bought elsewhere when you need service. The 8.1 I had in my Mastercraft was pure Boss, and it did not matter how much weight was in the boat, it just went.

And guys that say you will get better fuel economy with the 8.1 because it works less hard are definitely drinking the kool-aid. You simply can't burn oxygen in 8.1 liters and have it use less gas than what is occurring in 6.2L. The engines used a comparable amount of fuel in my experience. Moving XXXX amount of weight through the water requires combustion, no matter how you do it.

Just like some will take opposing views on the engine issue, some will disagree with my opinion of the surf wave. The 247 makes a better surf wave, IMHO.

Edited by TallRedRider
  • Like 3

Oil consumption, inability to completely drain all oil, and a noisy transmission/vdrive at idle are the downfalls for the hammerhead IMO, certainly not deal breakers but things I wish I was more aware of before my purchase. With the right prop I've yet to be short on power.

247 with 10 people.

I have the 23LSV, and I can fit 10 easily, but I prefer 6-8. I just don't like people being all up in my koolaid.

The 383 had oil consumption issues, but it's still a good motor. All of the fastest cars I've owned used oil too, so that's one thing that doesn't bother me.

I love my 23LSV, but the extra space in the 247 is obvious. Honestly, get the one in better condition and better maintenance record. Just make sure your tow vehicle is big enough for either boat. The one bonus for the 2007 350 motor, it's the first year of catalytic converters, really cuts down on that raw fuel smell.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I am planning on going to look at both boats this weekend. Keep the replies and information coming. Thanks again!

Please report back if the 247 has a noticeable rattling sound at idle forward (650 rpm) and goes away with a slight bump in rpm (900-1000). Once again, not a deal breaker, but it still bugs me in my 3rd season.

We are also a family of 5 and more times than not have another family of 4-5 with us (had 15 last weekend!!). As previously stated the 247 is money but the 23 is still doable for 9-10.

what towers do the boats have?

do both have the power wedge?

what are you towing with?

I am not sure on the tower. From the pictures the towers look the same on both boats but I don't know enough to tell what it is. Is there a better tower than others?

Yes, they both have the power wedge I believe.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Z71 with the tow package.

I am not sure on the tower. From the pictures the towers look the same on both boats but I don't know enough to tell what it is. Is there a better tower than others?

Yes, they both have the power wedge I believe.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Z71 with the tow package.

If it's the forward arching two point tower, that's the illusion X. Was malibu's signature tower of the day. The preferred tower by folks on this board (but not necessarily the resale market) is the four point titan 3 tower (aka "T3"). Illusion is OK but T3 would be better from a function standpoint.

Re your tow vehicle... your 5.3 loaded with family and gear for vacation along with a 247 loaded full of gas and gear will be pretty well tapped out. You are in TX so your tows are likely pretty flat? If they are short, you are good to go. If you plan on towing regularly and/or through mountains, the 247 is going to make you want a new truck. (in the west your truck would really not even be enough for a 23 if you regularly had 50+ mile tows or mountains to contend with IMHO).

Would be a good idea to put 700 or so lbs in your truck bed (to simulate family and gear) and take the boats on a tow and see how it does for yourself.

If it's the forward arching two point tower, that's the illusion X. Was malibu's signature tower of the day. The preferred tower by folks on this board (but not necessarily the resale market) is the four point titan 3 tower (aka "T3"). Illusion is OK but T3 would be better from a function standpoint.

Re your tow vehicle... your 5.3 loaded with family and gear for vacation along with a 247 loaded full of gas and gear will be pretty well tapped out. You are in TX so your tows are likely pretty flat? If they are short, you are good to go. If you plan on towing regularly and/or through mountains, the 247 is going to make you want a new truck. (in the west your truck would really not even be enough for a 23 if you regularly had 50+ mile tows or mountains to contend with IMHO).

Would be a good idea to put 700 or so lbs in your truck bed (to simulate family and gear) and take the boats on a tow and see how it does for yourself.

Thanks for the information. They both have the illusion X towers then.

Regarding towing, my family has a lake house on Lake LBJ with a lift, so that is were the boat will be about 95% of the time. I do not think I will need to be towing the boat too much. Thanks for bringing up that point though.

The 2014 5.3 had 355hp and 380ish tq I believe, so he should be fine to tow it wherever he wants, unless he has a two hour tow up and down a bunch of steep hills three times a week.

In which case, he would need a Cummin's. ha

The space and wave in the 247 is why I bought one. If you have to tow very far you will want a 3/4 ton tow vehicle. (here comes another debated topic)

Ok, we ended up looking at 3 boats this past weekend.

1. 2007 23 LSV

2. 2008 247 LSV

3. 2007 247 LSV

Both 247's had the Hammerhead engine. We have eliminated the 2007 23 LSV and 2008 247 LSV from consideration. The 2007 23 LSV we eliminated due to liking the size of the 247's better, plus it had a leak, and several other issues that I was not comfortable with. The 2008 247 was a mess, tons of electrical issues, and did not get a good feeling from the dealership salesman.

So that leaves us with the 2007 247 LSV. This one was very nice, and you could tell the owner cared about proper maintenance. It has always been serviced at the same dealership since new, and I can get access to all the service records.

The only issue it had was two hairline cracks in the gel coat back towards the transom above the rail. The broker seemed to think they would have been caused by having the ballast full and hitting some wakes/rough water too hard. He said it was just cosmetic, but I just don't know enough to know if I should believe him or not. He did seem very trustworthy, and he is the one that pointed them out. The rest of the exterior and interior were in fantastic shape.

My question is should I be very concerned about these gel coat cracks? If I get the boat and want to have them fixed, any idea on how much that usually costs?

Thanks.

No there is no cause for alarm. Gelcoat cracks are normal because the fiberglass is flexible and the gelcoat is brittle. I would not reccomend fixing them because these will pop back up for one reason or another. That being said if you ever had any major work to be done then you could go over them then for not much extra.

"The broker seemed to think they would have been caused by having the ballast full and hitting some wakes/rough water too hard" Seriously, that was his explanation?!

Gel or spider cracks are purely cosmetic. If the crack doesn't originate from a screw going into the hull then it was from some type of impact, and it doesn't have to be much. I have a couple 6" cracks behind the fuel fill on mine from the PO, the rubrail has a slight dent in it and the ss emblem has a rash, so I assume it was some sort of impact.

Post some pics :thumbup: