Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

hunter77ah

With It or Against It?

hunter77ah

Hey guys,

We ride in the river 99% of the time. It is always flowing and usually a bit windy.

I can tell the difference when I am going with or against the current, but haven't really been able to tell which is better? Should we try to compensate for the difference by changing the speed? We use a paddlewheel based system.

Any suggestions?

Raimie

Surfing is better against current. Wave has more push. I cannot tell the difference wakeboarding. I keep the speed the same. Current is 8mph

Edited by Raimie

hunter77ah

Good to know! Thanks!

Love2Ride

If you have a decent current, you will have to speed up when going WITH the current for wakeboarding. Likewise, you will probably have to slow down a touch going against the current. We ride the river down here in Columbus, and we deal with it quite a bit.

REW

For wake boarding I have a harder time going into the wind than dealing with the river current (4-5 mph).

Andrew63

We ski mainly in a river as well.

Use both paddle wheel & GPS speedo, barely notice the change between instruments maybe up to 3mph.

Some days the current is quite quick, it is a tidal river.

Haven't noticed any difference with or against when there is little or no wind, just slight speed adjustments.

When the wind picks up a little to make it uncomfortable footing, defiantly better WITH the wind to your back as the water is smoother than AGAINST the wind with the wind in your face

Sixball

I can tell a difference with water temperature on a ski @ 36mph. I can compensate with adjustments. We do not have enough current to see anything for that. I also can tell a difference with head or tail wind. But then the wind is not often a big thing with us. If its very windy most of the time its not worth skiing. But we do get times its still worth some ski time with wind.

Raimie

Hey guys,

We ride in the river 99% of the time It is always flowing and usually a bit windy.

I can tell the difference when I am going with or against the current, but haven't really been able to tell which is better? Should we try to compensate for the difference by changing the speed? We use a paddlewheel based system.

Any suggestions?

What river?

hunter77ah

What river?

Maumee

wakeparadise

If you have a decent current, you will have to speed up when going WITH the current for wakeboarding. Likewise, you will probably have to slow down a touch going against the current. We ride the river down here in Columbus, and we deal with it quite a bit.

Uhm, only if you're using a GPS to determine your speed. Paddlewheel is all relative to the water.