Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX running rich while surfing

Hey Crew, I have a new to me 06 VLX. After an hour or so of surfing it starts putting out a fair amount of black smoke. The boat only has 200 hours on it. I put new plugs in it, the old had excessive carbon on them. Any suggestions as to the cause or is this normal? Thanks for any help.

Check/clean the spark arrestor/intake. We had issues with black smoke and a black/oily scum line on our boat. We pulled the filter, cleaned it and haven't had problems since then.

Edit: It's the k&n filter if that helps to identify.

Edited by hunter77ah

Thanks hunter, I can't believe I never thought of the air filter. I've dealt with engines all my life I guess I never think of a boat filter getting dirty.

I had a direct drive Moomba Outback that would do the same thing. We switched props and the black smoke went away. Turns out it didn't like the low rpms with the extra weight and 3 blade prop. If you are using the stock prop, you might want to look at getting a more aggressive one.

Do those have the screen on the fuel pressure regulator like the response monsoon motor does ? Sounds like a good possibility

I agree with you. My '05 VLX was doing the same thing. The screen was all gunked up.

Edited by TheBoy82

We are running the stock prop, all factory ballast plus 600 pound Surfside 5 adults in the boat while surfing and approximately 10. 8 mph. The bug does not seem to struggle or bog at all.

The pictures on the first page is what your looking for its going to be mounted on the back by the fuel pump it has 1 bolt and a clamp that holds the regulator in place