Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeskate sizing

G-Pac

Just tried wakeskating for the first time this month and have really taken a liking to it. I am riding a LF Armada that is 41 inches in length. My wife bought it for herself, and the sales-person told her that it would also work for her much larger and heavier husband (5'9"/185 lbs vs 5"4"/110) Crazy.gif

I am able to ride the Armada and have progressed since starting, but the board does not feel as stable as an older (albeit, heavier) skate that a friend of ours lent us one weekend. I could not figure out the size of the borrowed board, but it was an older style and did not carve/cut as well as the Armada (maybe b/c it is so much smaller?!?!?!).

Can anyone advise me on the proper sizing of skates, and also a solid make/model in the correct size for me?

Thanks in advance!!

G-Pac

Here's what Wakeside says:

"Generally speaking, the size of your wakeskate is a personal preference. If you want to do more wake to wake type tricks, go with a bigger wakeskate. They have more surface area, which in return will create more pop off the wake and give softer landings. For more skate type tricks choose a smaller wakeskate. The shorter decks will react quicker, not have so much swing weight, and feel more like a skateboard than a wakeboard. Mid range is usually about 42 in. or 107 cm. and you can shoot up or down from there. The size is not always directly related to the weight of the rider like wakeboards are, so you should find the size that fits your style the best."

I'm just a couple inches taller than you with a similar weight and I ride a 107. I've been very happy with that size.

Here's what Wakeside says:

"Generally speaking, the size of your wakeskate is a personal preference. If you want to do more wake to wake type tricks, go with a bigger wakeskate. They have more surface area, which in return will create more pop off the wake and give softer landings. For more skate type tricks choose a smaller wakeskate. The shorter decks will react quicker, not have so much swing weight, and feel more like a skateboard than a wakeboard. Mid range is usually about 42 in. or 107 cm. and you can shoot up or down from there. The size is not always directly related to the weight of the rider like wakeboards are, so you should find the size that fits your style the best."

I'm just a couple inches taller than you with a similar weight and I ride a 107. I've been very happy with that size.

Should have thought to look there (wakeside), but that input was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks much for the feedback.

*disclaimer* I'm not wakeskating yet, I'm still doing the homework before buying, but here is what I'm thinking.

The older more stable board you eluded to is probably wood. The Armada's description from the manufacturer starts right out with "we couldn't get this shape out of wood so we didn't..."

I would guess that the 'instablity' of the armada has more to do with being physically lighter and perhaps more buoyant.

I'm getting ready to buy a left over HL Phriction 117 and went 'big' not because I'm particularly heavy (195) but because I want the flexibility to ride slow. Plus I have to assume the larger board will be an easier start and that can't be bad considering I have to idea what the start even looks like.

The Armada does feel more positively buoyant than neutral. The biggest difference I notice is the carving of this board compared to the older (yes, wooden or wood/glass mix). Could just be that it is so much smaller, but it turns on a dime and is a blast to ride.

Thanks for the feedback, I am looking into a larger board now and will post when I make a decision. Good luck with your homework, but don't let that keep you from trying a skate out, I did it on a whim while waiting for a patella tendon sprain to heal early part of this season and I am totally digging it. Jumped on a friend's board and got up on the first try....did not stay up long at first, but once I got the hang of it I caught the bug. I tried to do a HS back roll on it today just to get a feel for the invert mechanics w/o a wakeboard strapped to my feet/legs. I got huge air and had a yard-sale, but I initiated the rotation for the backroll and had a nice pain-free landing (well mostly pain free). Good luck!!

I went ahead and bought the HL Phriction 117, the deal was way too good to pass up. It should be here Tuesday. Since I've never been on a wake board, surfboard, skateboard, kneeboard or even combo skis it should be a hoot figuring it out.

I might initially decide on a riding position (probably RFF), take the "front" fin off and get a handle on how to ride it that way and then put it back on later. Good idea or bad?

You'll have a blast. Everything becomes new again. Getting up, crossisng the wake, etc. There's no reason to take the front fin off - you won't even know it's there.

I second the recommendation to leave the fins on. The skate will spin on the surface much more easily then a wakeboard. Treat it more like a skateboard when you spin, stay centered and balanced (vs. weight on your heels/toes to release the fins on a wakeboard) or it will come out from under you before you know it. I got my friend up today for the very first time on the skate (he has only wakeboarded less than 6 times ever) and he was throwing surface 180s from switch and regular on only his 3rd set today....he is better on the skate than the board already!