Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another wakesurf board thread...

kwebster1

OK crew. Wanted some input from some other experienced riders that have done lots of testing. I currently have the ronix carbon one skimmer from 2014. Unfortunately had a little mishap over the weekend and did some damage. While I may still fix this board, I wanted input from others that have hopefully ridden this board and had the ability to compare it to others. So there really wasn't anything I didn't like about the board but feel that some of the price may come from the name. So for the 700 it costs for a new one I thought, why not consider some others. I love skim style riding and don't want any other style board. I liked the speed of the ronix, wouldn't mind if it were even faster. The response was great and the spins were decent (some limitations could be from the rider, me) I can nail 360s every time but riding switch from a 540 wasn't yet in my bag. I was just learning to do airs. So, anyone have any advise? I can get phase 5 and others like lf, hyperlite ronix etc. Curious about inland surfer, shreddstix, some of the more uncommon but great boards. I would like one that is a little bit stronger if possible. We did damage the ronix last year from the rack bungees. I know the board are fragile but it would be super cool if they had something that was strong yet nibble. But maybe I'm pipe dreaming....let me know guys. I am willing to spend the money if the quality is there.

I have a quiver of Inlands as a result first surfing a few of them and second a boat dealer giving me a discount I couldn't pass up. My most surfed would be the James Walker Flyboy. It is very fast and agile, airs and spins like it was born too with ease. The Keenan Pro Skim or Black Pearl sounds more similar to what you are looking at or may have ridden. Inlands are pricey new but well worth it. Check around for a close out sale I've seen prices drop on sites like Boardco. I also would see if a dealer in your area might have demos or an event like Southern Surfest or a Crew outing. Cheers! Let us know what ya find.

I ride a P5 Danielo Carbon. 51". We have a 54" as well and it's a great board. However my favourite skim so far is the Victoria Factor PCX. Also check out WakeWood for durability and awesomeness. The Beaver is a great skim.

I posted this on wakeworld today and i think it is relevant here

A skim style wakesurf board made by a company that knows how to make skimboards makes a big difference.

many wakeboard and surf style companies build skim style boards with the same materials and features of surf style boards and they make lousy skims imo. They dont really ride like skimboards

Skimboards need thinner rails since having the rail in the wake is what gives the rider control. To have a thinner board the foam needs to be stiffer and stronger to make up for having less foam. That's why you will see skimboard companies use high density PVC (Divinycell). EPS foam is too soft and flexes too much when in skimboard thicknesses in my opinion.

You can find really good skim style boards under $600, just make sure it is made of PVC (dinvinycell) and isnt more that 5/8"-3/4" thick. Carbon Fiber isnt really necessary unless you are doing airs. The PVC core is stiff enough with e-glass for most riding.

Phase 5 (Zap Skimboards) and Victoria Skimboards have tons of experience building skimboards and have spent a lot of time developing excellent shapes to be ridden behind boats.

And like Nick said, you will notice that poorly made skimboards are covered in paint to hide whats going on. Higher end boards will be vacuum bagged with the color pigment to take out all the excess and make a stronger and lighter board. They will also have more of a matte finish to keep the weight down rather than have a bunch of shinny stuff and paint added afterward which just adds weight.

I'd like to have my 250# friends demo a Trident. Do you have connections?

I have connections locally here in Kansas. A good friend is a P5 rep. He gets several boards every year to demo. He buys them and sells them at the end of the season. I haven't been on a Trident. I ride a Model X. I have also been on the Hammerhead, Quest (loved this board), Jam, Oogle, Diamond, and the Wire.

I have connections locally here in Kansas. A good friend is a P5 rep. He gets several boards every year to demo. He buys them and sells them at the end of the season. I haven't been on a Trident. I ride a Model X. I have also been on the Hammerhead, Quest (loved this board), Jam, Oogle, Diamond, and the Wire.

I would love to be able to demo these boards. You can PM me or let me know who to contact to get something setup.

These are really good responses. The in depth build of a skim board was an awesome read and really makes sense.

I guess my next question, being that I know exactly how the ronix rides....how would anyone compare the suggested boards to that ride? Its interesting to know how much I enjoyed it being that after reading the post wakemitch put up, my board is definitely thicker than the 3/4 inch.

My other fear is, I bought the LF Duom before and it hated it with a passion. So lets make sure we don't go that route and find me something good!

Im doing more research. Not sure how much of a difference this makes but it may be huge. So wakemakers classifies the ronix carbon one skimmer as a hybrid. The doum is considered a skimmer. Do I prefer a hybrid then? Or is the doum just that bad.

The Doum Skim is compression molded which makes it ride totally different than most boards. It is wakeboard construction and is heavy and slow. Its a good shape, but bad construction which really hurts it.

If you like the Ronix then you will love a Phase 5 or Victoria. It will do everything the Ronix does but be more responsive and lively.

Sounds good. I will do some more research into the Danielo. With that board you aren't finding yourself catching edges on the spins are you? That was a killer difference from the ronix to the lf. Couldn't 360 the lf for some reason, back on ronix, 360 90% of em.

One thing you should know here; that Ronix One Skimmer is not a true skim board. It always tripped me out why they named it that. That board is a hybrid, that actually rides as much like a surf style as a skimmer. That said, I loved it and I think it's a great board because it's so versatile. I actually owned one for a season, it was just too slow for me (205#) in the back of the wave. The construction of it was 'meh'......alright. Certainly not the quality of a Soulcraft or the like.......but not as poor as Triple X.

So all that said, if you decide to go to a true skim board, you're going to notice a big difference (for the good, if you really like skim style riding).

I can definitely recommend a P5 Danielo. Great board, great construction, true skim style. WakeMitch might be able to recommend the Victoria equivalent. To be honest, I haven't ridden a ton of true skimmers (and some of the ones I have weren't sized correctly) so I'm not gonna be the biggest help.

Anyway, hope that helps a little.

I've ridden a P5 Danielo and own a Victoria Factor PCX. Both are fun boards and you could get used to either. When I ride them back to back I feel the Danielo is a little less forgiving when trying to edge hard (wants to bury). Whereas the victoria likes to be ridden that way and can be very fast once you lock in that edge. I cannot comment on flex or pop or anything else. Just the basics. Both spin like a top

Both are of excellent construction. To me the P5 looks like a top quality machine made board. The Victoria looks like a top quality hand made board. Not sure if there even is a such thing and not sure if that is how they are made though.

I'd like to have my 250# friends demo a Trident. Do you have connections?

Joe I have one hanging in my garage. It's my buds but you could certainly try it. Maybe AFun will make the trip to your place and he can bring it. He keeps drooling over Natiques still..... It is a BIG board that is fun to ride and very fast. Did I mention it is BIG?

I've ridden a P5 Danielo and own a Victoria Factor PCX. Both are fun boards and you could get used to either. When I ride them back to back I feel the Danielo is a little less forgiving when trying to edge hard (wants to bury). Whereas the victoria likes to be ridden that way and can be very fast once you lock in that edge. I cannot comment on flex or pop or anything else. Just the basics. Both spin like a top

Both are of excellent construction. To me the P5 looks like a top quality machine made board. The Victoria looks like a top quality hand made board. Not sure if there even is a such thing and not sure if that is how they are made though.

P5 uses a lamination for graphics on the base and a gloss covering for the top. The boards look incredible. But it definitely adds weight and cost. P5 (the high end stuff) and Vic are built the same way. They are all cnc cut, layed up by hand, vacuum bagged, and hand finished.

Victoria uses pigment in the resin for color and hand done resin art (unless it is ordered with a lamination graphic), and then it is all vacuum bagged to suck out all the excess to keep it as light as possible. And for 2015 all of the boards come with a matte finish doesnt have any extra coating or gloss added. It keeps the board lighter and stronger. But it doesnt look "perfect". Each board will have its little unique things going on. In previous years Vic used gloss on their wake line (skim line has always been matte) because boaters like the look, but they didnt want to release heavy boards to the public anymore. They can be ordered gloss if requested for no extra cost.

What's interesting is Zap Skimboards, which is the Skim division of Phase 5, has all their boards matte as well. In skimboarding all the serious manufacturers dont do gloss, it cracks easier and is heavier.

• Like 2

Obviously I'm biased because I ride for and work for Victoria, but I'm honest when I say good things about Phase 5. I think they make great boards as well and they do some cool stuff. And I try them out every chance I get to see what's going on. We just do things a little bit differently, but that's what keeps things interesting

My wife and I both have multiple phase 5s and recently switched to Vics. We find the Vics lighter and more forgiving, plus you can have custom resin art with whatever colors you like vs a stock graphic P5. The Vics are less money too depending on the model. The customer service at Vic has also been top notch.

• Like 2

Man, now im more confused than ever. Apparently im used to hybrid but it sounds like any higher end board would fit the bill. Victorias website is down. Wakemitch you may want to look in to that. So Im thinking then it may be down to trying the P5, victoria, or inland. Why can;t we all just love a simple cheap game like basketball!!! $30 gets you a decent basket ball and all you gotta do is throw it in a hoop. haha. Not spending $700 just on the board not to mention however much any of us spend on the boat and fuel. Whatever, just venting. Wouldnt change it it. love it. nothing better. So do you guys think we can narrow it down to one or two from each company that I can do hard research on? Like the Victoria PCX and factor. and Inland Black pearl and flyboy or something?

Joe I have one hanging in my garage. It's my buds but you could certainly try it. Maybe AFun will make the trip to your place and he can bring it. He keeps drooling over Natiques still..... It is a BIG board that is fun to ride and very fast. Did I mention it is BIG?

You guys come visit some time in June and bring that Trident. I like my P5 Model X but that's not going to float my 250lb+ friends too well.

We love company so don't be bashful.

I mean, I'm not planning on jumping 3 feet for airs on a skim board nor do I plan on going pro. Just don't want to be limited by a board. It's just hard for me to understand why the one is called a hybrid. What makes it hybrid vs skim? I dunno. I really just need to ride some board to answer some questions. I can sort of demo some phase 5 locally. I think I would have to for sure buy one though and they only carry ronix and p5.

It's just hard for me to understand why the one is called a hybrid. What makes it hybrid vs skim?

A hybrid is a surf board in the shape of a skim (Ronix one skim) or a skim board in the shape of a surf board (phase 5 model x)

While it sounds like the best of both worlds, they generally just end up being decent beginner boards.

I am no beginner wakemitch! Haha. So for skim to surf hybrid is it like a skim with more push? Or are the rockers relatively different?