Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

prop question

chip89

i have a 2014 vlx with the 33o hp - switched props to the 2419 and can't get the surf wave to set up. all 4 tanks full with both plug and play filled, 6 people in boat. seems like the engine is working to hard..... should i simply switch back to the 1235......is the 2419 to much prop

the 2419 was supposed to help with that issue, i.e. more weight up front, when we ran the 1235 it was pretty gosh darn good was just trying to make it a little better, so i may be better off going back to the 1235-thanks

Try a acme 2315 or oj wake pro 945 if you can, both seem to perform better than the 1235 when running lots of weight.

I had 1235 with the same engine and switched to the 2315 and am pleased with the results engine turns more rpm but fuel consumption went down ans lost some top end speed but the trade offs are worth it.

If you could surf fine with the 1235, you shouldn't have an issue with the 2419 either. Do you have more rear weight in the boat this time? If so, the issue becomes prop angle. With the bow sky high, the propeller is trying to push the boat up out of the water instead of thrust forward creating wasted energy keeping that bow in the air. Bow weight will reduce the prop angle and help you achieve enough speed for the wave to set up.

I found the 2315 and the 1235 to be of not much difference to be quite honest. Have both and dont see an improvement in the wave. Maybe performance and fuel though

Edited by saidainc

I found the 2315 and the 1235 to be of not much difference to be quite honest. Have both and dont see an improvement in the wave. Maybe performance and fuel though

There is a huge difference between the 2.

I saw 8seconds difference, 2315 faster, than the 1235, same boat, back to back, 0-23 full ballast.

thanks for all the input - did not add more weight when switched props - rpms went to 35-really seemed to be working hard - going to try the 2315 next-if i read the posts correct i will lose some top end speed but gain fuel economy ???? correct

You may not have enough power to swing the 15" prop. Maybe try the 2079. It is a 14.5"x12". Seems weird that you were doing fine with the 1235, and now struggling with a 2419 (which is a much more aggressive prop). The only thing I can suggest is to drop diameter.

What position is wedge in?? That makes a huge difference. Noticed you haven't mentioned it. I have a 2014 vlx. All hard tanks full and 750 plug and play in rear full and have roughly 200 lbs in each gunnel up front and now another 550 up front and have no problem surfing with wedge 3 clicks up but go to 4 and it really struggles. I am running the 2313. The 1235 wouldn't hardly pull it before I put the 550 up front. Haven't tried it again since, pretty happy with the 2313. Also usually have a crew of 5 or 6. But have even ran with 9 with no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wedge with both props was all the way down-i was playing with the wedge moving it up with the 2419 but no luck. before i bought the 2419 acme rep was concerned that the 330 hp may be a bit light for the 15 dia 2419 but said to try as it was the dealers suggestion. looks like he might be right and the smaller dia may be best.

Chip- lots of advice on this thread is all over the map.

Before you waste money, this is what you need to know:

If the 2419 won't get it done one your boat, NO prop will get it done. It's a horribly inefficient prop that only does one thing well: 0-21mph with max weight. End of story, no other prop will improve what you are trying to do. It's high rpm, low top speed, lots of wasted gas, but does give max 0-21mph Max torque.

If you still can get it done, you need to work on your prop shaft angle, too much weight in the rear or not enough in the bow. It may sound counter intuitive, but adding 500+lbs in the bow to your "get stuck" setup can actually give you the extra speed you need to get going. Your prop is lifting up the boat vs pushing you forward.

Remove weight from the rear.

Add weight to the bow.

Or do both.

But don't buy a new prop unless you want to get worse performance for your situation.

Edited by nyryan2001

If any of you all are interested in selling your 1235, send me a pm. My wife missed the trailer during loading, got the boat turned side ways and scraped the prop on the ramp!