Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The reason you guys hate tubers...

ibelonginprison

I get that pulling a tube can mess up your water, but I have a 7 and 4 year old. They aren't ready to learn how to wakeboard yet and I'll pull them in a tube so they can have fun. I don't go where there is glass so not to ruin what everyone loves. I think it is harsh to say you hate tubers because most tubers on my boat are young kids. The people that don't take others paths in consideration and put children in danger are the ones that could be hated.

On another not, my 7 year old wants to learn how to water ski, so I have a pair of trainer skis to get him started. He has seen me fall hard and isn't keen on jumping on the wakeboard as of yet.

Your kids are old enough to learn a number of water sports: kneeboard, wakeboard, waterski.

Your kids are old enough to learn a number of water sports: kneeboard, wakeboard, waterski.

One's 4 year old is not necessarily another's. Same could probably even be said for the 7 year old and whether he's ready to learn other water sports or not (although by the sounds of it he is).

And for what it's worth (which undoubtedly isn't much), I'm over 40 and still love to go for a good tube now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

One's 4 year old is not necessarily another's. Same could probably even be said for the 7 year old and whether he's ready to learn other water sports or not (although by the sounds of it he is).

And for what it's worth (which undoubtedly isn't much), I'm over 40 and still love to go for a good tube now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just saying... it's a cop out to use age as an excuse.

A tube will only delay the kids getting into watersports (I don't consider a tubing a sport). They will love tubing, no doubt. That will only make them choose tubing over anything else. It's the easy button. I find the kneeboard to be the best starting sport for the little ones. They can go at just over idle speed and stay laying on their bellys until they feel comfortable enough to try and scooch up to their knees. I take the strap off the kneeboard when someone is just learning.

I think tubing can be ok on a lake in water that is churned up already. It also needs to be wide with lots of room to manuver.

Yesterday I saw a guy zig zagging on the Willamette. If a kid fell off on one of the bends it would be difficult to see. Not to mention if a surf or wakeboat came by you could really hurt someone if you pulled them through it. My daughter realized why I wouldn't let her tube after we went through a wave thrown by a new Malibu.

Idiots in boats or jetskis piss me off whether they are pulling tubes or wakeboards. It just seems like they are much more likely to be pulling tubes. Probably because the idiot boat drivers are only on the water Memorial Day and July 4th so they dont have enough water time to learn any watersports.

I only had one "bad" incident this weekend though. We were headed back to the dock abotu an hour before dusk Saturday and a boat that was stopped decided to go full throttle 90 degrees across my bow pulling a tube just as I was about to pass him.

We had the kids out on the tube Friday jsut fine but by mid morning Saturday, I had to tell them there was just too much traffic.

• Like 1

Idiots in boats or jetskis piss me off whether they are pulling tubes or wakeboards. It just seems like they are much more likely to be pulling tubes. Probably because the idiot boat drivers are only on the water Memorial Day and July 4th so they dont have enough water time to learn any watersports.

I only had one "bad" incident this weekend though. We were headed back to the dock abotu an hour before dusk Saturday and a boat that was stopped decided to go full throttle 90 degrees across my bow pulling a tube just as I was about to pass him.

We had the kids out on the tube Friday jsut fine but by mid morning Saturday, I had to tell them there was just too much traffic.

It's cause you're a smart and responsible father.

Some of these boat drivers must have high dollar insurance policies on their kids, cause they sure acted like they wanted them gone.

FYI - the new Trident Marina (ex Ryan's Creek Marina - it was bought out in Feb., at Big Bridge) has been great so far with our dry stack storage. New dock with lots of courtesy slips. Friendly people, even on the Holiday weekend.

The new restaurant is really tasty as well. AND - they have a 'call ahead and we'll bring it to you at the dock' service that I'm going to try out next weekend.

I'm only doing it for a month while I get the LS swap finished, but I may go from being a "load up on the trailer" guy to being a "store it at the Marina" guy after a few more trips. They're spoiling us!

• Like 1

My problem with boats pulling tubes is that the drivers are unpredictable. No matter how much you try to stay clear, it is darn near impossibe.

The people pulling multiple tubes in the middle of the channel (main waterway where barges, yachts, and all things imaginable) are a living contradiction to Darwinism.

Are wake surfers allowed to criticize tubers?

The ones that wake surf off in a slew away from docks and people? Yes.

Ones that roll on 4000 lb's of ballast past a busy area blasting white people rap out of 4 pairs of WetSounds, aka Flo Rida and Pitbull? ... probably not as much. But at least they aren't weaving dangerously and erratically. They're more of an inconsiderate nuisance than a danger.

I have a tube and I pull my 5 y/o on it with one of our 5 y/o neighbor kids. I don't go in coves, I won't pull them early in the morning even in the main channel. When I do pull them, I realize that other drivers may be confused as to which direction I am going in. Thus, when I see another boat anywhere close to me, I either cut it or maintain a straight course until the other boat is gone. If I am pulling them and another boat or jet ski decide to follow me, I totally stop and let them go past and go away. No reason for me to risk someone's life. I am not a big fan of the tube, but it's part of life. Kids love it. Yes, I work with my 5 y/o on the kneeboard and other items before I let him tube.

Whether I am pulling a tube, wakeboard, kneeboard, surfer, or waterskier I see that person(s) as my responsibility. I treat all other boaters on the lake as if they have no common sense. I drive the boat very very defensively. On the water, you can never ever stop thinking 5 steps ahead and paying attention to EVERYTHING. I will stop in the middle of a run or alter my course dramatically to remove myself and/or my rider from a potentially hazardous situation. With that said, my buddies and everyone else say I pull better than anyone else they have ridden with. I strive to offer straight sets with good water.

I used to get mad and flustered, throw my hands up, yell at idiotic drivers of other boats/skis, but I realized that not everyone on the lake knows or even cares how they are driving and how that effects others on the lake. I also have had a daddy moment, that my kid is almost 6 and watches everything I do.

• Like 2

I had 4 hot ladies on 2 tubes behind my boat this weekend, if I had pics (which I might) could you haters make an exception? :biggrin:

Pics or it didnt happen HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

I had 4 hot ladies on 2 tubes behind my boat this weekend, if I had pics (which I might) could you haters make an exception? :biggrin:

Oh yeah... exception made, with proof of said activity. You even get a badge of bro-honor. lol

I'm not AGAINST tubes. I just saw more than my fair share of mindless boating with tubes in tow this weekend. It was shocking at the sheer number of idiots towing tubers.

They far and away were more prevalent and idiotic than the PWC's... which for me, is unusual.

Any idiots can mess up the water and be dangerous. Not just tubers. We tube the odd time, but you have to pick a spot that will not bother others and always be respectful. I have had issues with idiots surfing more than the dumb tube pullers. I love the guy that thinks its cool to surf 30 ft behind your transom while you are floating and having a swim. There are idiots everywhere.

I'm hoping one of the go pros on my boat captured the s*** show I encountered over the weekend...(probably just be incoherent swearing/yelling)

I tried to tow my friends wakeboarding... We quit about two pulls in after two jet skis were following my rider by 30' and a tubing boat dropped his kid about 250' in front of my boat. (he seriously powerturned and whipped in front of my line) It was pretty fun feeling like I couldnt stop, couldnt go left, and couldnt go straight. So I have to turn right towards shore and shallow water, and then go to nuetral.. By the time I could stop my boat safely without the jet skis smoking my rider, we were left with about 8 feet of water, and 30' to shore or so) (banks lake has some crazy sand bars)

Knowing someone personally who had been struck by a boat in the head and is now a quadripelic/mentally handicapped, I couldnt not follow them back to camp and have some words. Just pissed me off, so wreckless and with his own kids...

when we pulled up to their campsite, we had 8 people in the boat and ballasts full. I pushed about a 2 foot swell into their tent. LOL

Wakesurfing was great though.

I get that pulling a tube can mess up your water, but I have a 7 and 4 year old. They aren't ready to learn how to wakeboard yet and I'll pull them in a tube so they can have fun. I don't go where there is glass so not to ruin what everyone loves. I think it is harsh to say you hate tubers because most tubers on my boat are young kids. The people that don't take others paths in consideration and put children in danger are the ones that could be hated.

On another not, my 7 year old wants to learn how to water ski, so I have a pair of trainer skis to get him started. He has seen me fall hard and isn't keen on jumping on the wakeboard as of yet.

1) get a boom. I don't know how to rig it up to your boat, but I have my old "curved boom" and I've figured out how to hook it up for kids. I can teach any kid, 4 or older, that wants to learn. I'm probably 20 for 20. I guarantee they are riding in 30 minutes. Falls are at 8-10mph. The boat is always close to them. Not much to fear.

2) Play games on that tube in the ski run. Go in a strait line at 5ish mph. Have the kids have a contest trying to stand up. You want them to fall in the water and go back to get them. This gets them over the fear of being out in the water.

• Like 3

seriously though... I made you an award for when you post the pics.

Remember Ndawg... sharing is caring.

Pics or it didn't happen

in case Ndawg didn't see the other responses....I am calling BS....pics are the only way to reclaim your

tarnished honor. (picture all of us slapping you across the face with a glove)

It's cause you're a smart and responsible father.

Some of these boat drivers must have high dollar insurance policies on their kids, cause they sure acted like they wanted them gone.

FYI - the new Trident Marina (ex Ryan's Creek Marina - it was bought out in Feb., at Big Bridge) has been great so far with our dry stack storage. New dock with lots of courtesy slips. Friendly people, even on the Holiday weekend.

The new restaurant is really tasty as well. AND - they have a 'call ahead and we'll bring it to you at the dock' service that I'm going to try out next weekend.

I'm only doing it for a month while I get the LS swap finished, but I may go from being a "load up on the trailer" guy to being a "store it at the Marina" guy after a few more trips. They're spoiling us!

We are about 10 minutes from Big Bridge by land. Crazy that its over an hour by water.

I agree, the restraunt is good. I know its new so they still have some growing pains - their other restraunt in Houston is better for now. But with the same owners / chef, I expect it to catch up. Hopefulyl it sticks around - the last couple have lasted less than a year each.

I havent had any interaction with the new owners at Trident yet, but from all acounts they ar eworking very hard to win back the public after the disasters from the previous owners.

• Like 1

My 2yo daughter and I had our first tube ride this weekend. It was awesome and she absolutely loved it. It was a great introduction to being pulled behind a boat for her.

• Like 2