Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The reason you guys hate tubers...

ibelonginprison

I can't imagine how a tuber could ruin Memorial day water?

Wasn't the water all messed up and full of Walley's already?

Oh, didn't ruin anything for me. I was prepared for the Memorial Day Intelligence Massacre so I mostly stayed out of the way.

But my God, it's like being at Wal Mart on a full moon next to a FEMA trailer park on payday. Just filled with home grown, extra special kinda stupid.

Saw it all today from tubers... In skinny slews, weaving from dock to dock rocking the snot out of everyone. Doing power turns around boats with downed riders. Slinging tubes near wakeboarders trying to cash in on their wake, without waiting for the boarders to be safely past. Towing the tubes through heavily trafficked no wake zones through marina waters under a no wake bridge, going 8-9 mph... causing a wake... while everyone else dodges the tube shaking their head. Approaching a no wake zone, then power turning at the edge of it, slinging the Tube right near the "no wake bouy" - sending wakes all through the no wake zone. Even trying to run a tube through a slalom course. While other boats were approaching.

Mostly I was able to be safely away from them, except one guy.

I was coming up on a busy threeway "T" intersection, I was turning right, and I was going slower than some folks so I hugged the shore on the starboard side to be out of the way of cross traffic and some other boats that were towards the center of the channels.

Well a guy was coming around the corner from the opposite direction (coming from my right, starboard) - he was still headed straight as I was rounding the corner, putting him on my port side already since I was halfway through turning,

Looked like this... I was coming from the bottom, turning right. He was coming from the right, turning left

V

V

V

V

| <<<<<<<<<

^

^

^

^

^

so I turned more right and hugged the shoreline a little more giving him the right of way, so I wouldn't drive straight in front of him and cut him off, or worse have him hit me. It wasn't the optimum situation, passing between him and the shoreline, but there were 10-12 boats already in my view going various directions so I gave way the best I could since he was already on my left and I was committed to passing with him off my port side by this point. All he had to do was keep driving straight - not alter his path at all. There were no boats behind me at the time, so he was clear to do so. And we would have passed by without incedent in 10 seconds. Well, he turned towards me. So I checked the depth and went more right. He turned MORE towards me. That's when I saw him towing his kid on a tube. Depth was already 18', so I just slowed down because I didn't feel comfortable buzzing a shallow area, he finally turns slightly away, driving past me, giving me a dirty look and his hands held high giving me a sarcastic slow clap. I was like "dude, you're towing a tube through a heavily trafficked main three way intersection around a corner, on your "left" side of the channel, and you're pissed cause there was a boat already there who yeilded to you cause he didn't want to cut you off?" It's a busy weekend through some narrow channels, sometimes you just end up in the way cause thats how it falls and this guy wanted to be a putz about it.

I almost had a bag of milk sperry moment, but instead kept going and turned my rap music with lots of cuss words (which was previously barely audible) up really loudly for his kid to hear till he was around the corner and gone. Mature, I know. But maybe his son will ask him what the particular phrase playing at the moment means and he has to hit Urban Dictionary to find out. It's at this point, I win.

Only reason I don't have a tube is because I know my kids would not be wakeboarding/kneeboarding/surfing/foiling if I had one. They are fun but they take no skill and kids tend to like "easy". I have also found that there is a fine line with tubes, separating fun and pain. I have seen it too many times where people are having a great time on the tube and get pushed a little to far and next thing you know there's crying or concussions. If you want to ride something easy on my boat, lay on your belly on the kneeboard and hang on. If you wanna try to get up on your knees, all the better. If not, at least you tried. So that's why I hate tubes. I only hate tubers when they tear up my water. I especially hate them when they ride the only wind blocked spot on the lake. Other than that, they're not so bad [behind your boat]. I will admit that I don't hate tubers any more than power turning wake boarders.

• Like 2

Mostly I was able to be safely away from them, except one guy.

At least you can be comforted by knowing you upset him without even trying.

The bad side to this is that he's training his kid.

Tubers, gun owners, jet skiers, wake boarders, are all the same. Its not the tool they are using that makes them annoying, it's the tool that is operating them. :crazy:

My daughter had a friend go with her to the lake this weekend, both 9 years old. I asked her friend "Do you want to learn to wakeboard?" and she seemed scared. Stopped making eye contact with me, as I explain the use of a boom, slow speed, etc. Not a fan. "Do you want to tube?" -- "YEAH!" with a big smile. So we tubed.

Our lake was surprisingly empty, calm, no breeze, really low traffic. Seemed weird.

Went back up to the marina where I'm dry-stacked to clean the boat out. Was there 5 minutes and saw one guy do this. Within 30 minutes another one came through. So I took a picture, per TMC bro-code. The whole area from the buoy to the right is idle only / no wake because there's a bridge just off camera to the right, and I'm at a marina with a boat launch and a lot of wet slips. This guy rocked them all.

image.jpg1_zpsreeku6jb.jpg

Edited by ibelonginprison

Thought this was posed as a question at first. Glad I don't have to go on a rant.

Rant away, I'm sure it will be well received after this holiday weekend.

post-15240-14325917719702_thumb.jpg

*** for illustration purposes only ***

Cheers to all those who tow tubes in narrow waterways that are main transit lanes so if your kiddo falls off and you launch her of G wakes (him driving 30, me 24mph, my wake let's say 10mph, 40mph resulting launch for kiddo) all the other boats can run up on her in the water because they aren't paying attention.

The reason I don't tubers is most of them are i/o boats who don't know how to do anything else but get in your way, and for all the reasons above.

Around here their not just the I/Os. But anyone with more money than sense. Half of them own weekend cabins on the lake & Malibu or Mastercraft toobing boats. It's a status symbol, like driving a Lexus or Mercedes.

• Like 2

I get that pulling a tube can mess up your water, but I have a 7 and 4 year old. They aren't ready to learn how to wakeboard yet and I'll pull them in a tube so they can have fun. I don't go where there is glass so not to ruin what everyone loves. I think it is harsh to say you hate tubers because most tubers on my boat are young kids. The people that don't take others paths in consideration and put children in danger are the ones that could be hated.

On another not, my 7 year old wants to learn how to water ski, so I have a pair of trainer skis to get him started. He has seen me fall hard and isn't keen on jumping on the wakeboard as of yet.

Edited by jdiaz78

Almost as bad as the three dudes buzzing their jet ski into my rollers. Felt bad for the guy sitting in the middle.

Edited by saxton15

I've never been a fan of tubes but when you have kids out on the boat that are not your own, and they do not know how to do anything else, you either need be rude and and kick them off he boat or throw the tube in the water. I'd rather be a good sport and host so I toss he tube in he water and off we go. Most times it's after we have worked on kneeboarding, skis and wakeboard for sure so I at least tried.