Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help! Drive Shaft Vibration

LakePowellDreamin

Bakes Marine are one of the most helpful sources for Malibu parts.

Of late, Malibu prop shafts generally come supplied with the driven coupling as an assembly - maybe you could go that way and then you either have a spare shaft or, if it turns out yours is bent, you have a new one to install.

If it's only the driven coupling half that is damaged, replacement should be reasonably straight forward albeit much more difficult to access than on my direct drive arrangement. The hub is secured onto a taper on the shaft with a nut. The nut is secured with an Allen head set screw that goes in from the outside edge of the hub.

You will need to inspect the drive end coupling hub as well to ensure it is not damaged. Have a close look with a flashlight and mirror. Also use the tape-and-stick/wire method to check it for run out (wobble). Hopefully it's in good shape.

The driven side of your coupler looks like steel, and is probably ok, but take Greenman's advise and check it anyway. I suspect that the only problem with it will be surface rust that you can knock off with fine sandpaper.

Update: Called Bakes online today to order the coupler. They have been extremely helpful. I spoke to Paul and asked him to look at this thread. He saw the wobble video and thought it could be something more than just a cracked coupler and the missing bolts. He explained how to do a more precise shaft test. I'll post a video.

Edited by LakePowellDreamin
  • Like 1

Update:I ordered the coupler from bakesonline.com cost around $200. I picked up replacement stainless steel bolts and brass nuts myself, and took it into the dealership this morning. The dealership is quoting me $1,290 for the labor to replace coupler. They said one of my bolts is seized and requires a grinder to get it removed. It feels like I'm getting gouged, but I've got no point of reference. Anybody want to give me their opinion?

• 1 month later...