Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard line length and shifting trends.

skiatook_bu

What line length do you wakeboard at?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What line length do you wakeboard at?

2. 2. Boat Speed - round up/down decimal

I am just curious what line length people are riding at?

I have read about trends going to shorter line and also the other way to longer lines. In the comments, you can list lengths for other riders and speeds. If you have changed lengths and what were the results? I have some fairly good riders that have actually slowed down to 22-23 and 70-75 feet this year.

I have heard the same from instructors at Westcoast Camps, advanced riders are going slower with shorter lengths. Focusing more on longevity and limiting there hard falls to avoid injury.

Good friend of mine is advanced rider and he rides at 70-75' at 22.5-23 mph behind our vlx... seems to love the wake at this speed.

I am not that great of a rider, so I ride at 60' at 19-20 mph, its a good length for me, I can easily go wake to wake HS and land on the downward side of the wake. I can come close to a TS W2W but still cant seem to get far enough across. Rarely do I ever case the wake... I used to ride at 65' at 20-21 mph but I am really liking the 60' with slower 19-20.... usually wedge 1 click up with center ballast filled.

You can't throw advanced tricks on short lines at slow speeds that require airtime like raley's, switch crypts, etc. When you learn how to actually get air, you want to have more time in the air to control the trick and spot the landing. Short lines means narrow wake, slow speeds mean harder cuts to go big. So yeah, if you are learning, learn on at 65 line at 20/21 - Then when you get it dialed in and want to take it to the next level, be ready to step up your speed and line length. Most of the guys I ride with are riding 80ft lines at 23.5-24 depending on boat/ballast -

• Like 2

I ride 70ft at 22.4, but I can't throw any inverts so I'm beginner-intermediate

I am at the same as you on length and speed...sometimes i run at 22.6mph, i cant tell the difference though . I can get some nice pop and my wake to wake is nailed down. I doubt I will ever be ninja enough to go invert. Edited by dezul

I am at the same as you on length and speed...sometimes i run at 22.6mph, i cant tell the difference though . I can get some nice pop and my wake to wake is nailed down. I doubt I will ever be ninja enough to go invert.

IF you cant tell the difference slow it down and drop some weight. Learn to ride when it doesnt hurt and youll be plenty ninja to go upside down.

IF you cant tell the difference slow it down and drop some weight. Learn to ride when it doesnt hurt and youll be plenty ninja to go upside down.

My boat is paddlewheel and fluctuates too much to notice the difference. My line length and speed is only relative to my type of boat. When I get on other boats, it changes. I hopped on an older malibu earlier this week and rode at 65' cause that was where the wake felt the best at. I couldn't do any grabs though cause the hangtime wasn't there for my slow self.

The usual length is 78' at 23 mph, but have have been going to 82' at 24 mph. I once towed a guy behind me boat that ran 92' at 27mph, you all can probably guess who that was though.

The usual length is 78' at 23 mph, but have have been going to 82' at 24 mph. I once towed a guy behind me boat that ran 92' at 27mph, you all can probably guess who that was though.

Mr. Vandal?

I think it all depends on the shape of the wake and the type of board.

Mr. Vandal?

I think it all depends on the shape of the wake and the type of board.

Yep, its a small world in wake over hear in SoCal. It was absolutely insane to watch.

I've slowed down to 22.4-23 depending on rider and 70 feet. I can get the same wake at that setup as I used to at 24- 24.6 and 80 feet but can do it with less weight - around 3000 instead of 4000. It also allows us to ride longer without getting worn out so quick.

• Like 1

Yep, its a small world in wake over hear in SoCal. It was absolutely insane to watch.

Id love to watch that dude ride. Definately my favorite pro rider. How can a guy hit the flats everytime, all day, everyday and not need a fresh pair of knees.

When working on my toe side I drop down to 65' and 20mph, only bow tank full, wedge down or 1 click up. My normal speed is 22 and 70', full MLS and wedge 3 or 4 clicks. .