Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dogs in the boat?

mountaineerhill

Probably the same as dogs and sticking their head out the window of a car. Better yet: Dogs like TRUCKS!

Cue the F-250 promo pics with Feline!

Our boat goes no where without our dog. I would give up the boat before I leave her behind.

Claudio

Edited by cstk421
  • Like 3

My view in the past was no way with dogs on the boat. However due to a new 7ish lb puppy in the house it appears that rule will be changing if I ever want to get out in the boat, so I'm curious to hear the ideas since she has some pretty sharp claws. I think at a minimum that the carpet is coming out.

We bring our chocolate out with us when no one else is with us wanting to play.

I bought snap out carpet with the idea that it would come out when she is with us, but finally learned late last year that she hates it without the carpet (she couldn't get traction with her paws). I now leave the carpet in, and vacuum more. She's happier, and doesn't cower when we're under power.

Finally got the boat out yesterday. The day ended somewhat tragically though. A boat we were following flipped around and the driver dove in the water. We then realized he was going after a dog. A golden retriever fell off at over 50mph. The wife was then trying to get back to them but couldn't drive. We ran over there and got the guy and dog up onto the swim step. My wife (nurse) attempted some mouth to snout but the dog was gone :(. 14 years old. Keep your dogs safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dog loves the boat. All I have to do is get out the ski gear and she starts going crazy.

Same with me except replace the word DOG with NEIGHBORS

• Like 3

Ding Ding Ding!!!! We have a winner.

Here's a tip if your dog ever gets quilled that I learned last night. The quills are barbed so they are hard to get out. Cut off the tips of the quills (this releases the pressure inside the quill) then pull out by twisting and pulling.

IMG_20150525_014118927_zps7l1tvh5s.jpg

Edited by DocPhil

Did you perform this yourself Doc?

Of course...you know how much a vet costs on the weekend? I don't like the dog nearly enough to pay that fee.

• Like 3

Ding Ding Ding!!!! We have a winner.

Here's a tip if your dog ever gets quilled that I learned last night. The quills are barbed so they are hard to get out. Cut off the tips of the quills (this releases the pressure inside the quill) then pull out by twisting and pulling.

IMG_20150525_014118927_zps7l1tvh5s.jpg

Had this happen to a few dogs while bird hunting. A vet that I used to hunt with gave me that little tip. Still sucks to have to deal with that.

Had this happen to a few dogs while bird hunting. A vet that I used to hunt with gave me that little tip. Still sucks to have to deal with that.

See I'm basically a vet too! Jack of all trades!

I have had good and bad experiences with dogs.

When I was 16 we had about 100lb german shephard, who when my mom went water skiing jumped out at about 30mph to save her. He didnt have a life vest and he freaked out and was sinking my mom and drowning her trying to stay afloat himself. I remember by Dad pulling the dog out of the water with one hand. He just had like super Dad strength or something... it was crazy.

Flash forward 10 years, my boat, my dog, I carry a dog towel that I lay down for him when he gets in and out over the back. I trained him to lay in the walk way area by leashing him up to one of the window struts in his life vest harness for the first few times out. Now he just lays there when I tell him it's time to sit down lol... got to love how smart australian shepherds are. His life vest also makes it easier for him to get up on the swim step, and it will give you piece of mind not having to watch his every move in the water... Also as mentioned, the handles are a life saver for pulling them out if needed. I typically use them to pick him up and set him in over the side of the boat.

I take my current dog with us all the time on the boat. He's a 75# boxer mix, no issues with nails or such. Fur, that's a different story but I'll put up with it, he's my bud. It's funny, when we go on our annual vacation to the lake, he goes along. The dog gets up in the morning, goes for his walk, upon returning runs down to the beach out on the dock and jumps in the boat. He'll spend most of his day sleeping in the sun on the boat.

Our last dog, 115# Sheppy Rotty mix, wasn't as keen to go on the boat, nor going in water more than ankle deep. I found out why one day when I drug him out into the water. He sunk. The dog couldn't swim. Seemed to do all the motions right, but he went under, butt first pulling the nose section with it. We understood at that point and didn't request his company on any future outings.

• 5 weeks later...

Trying to train him to stay on his bed....so far had success with not being on the seats, but sometimes when I'm distracted he'll creep off of the bed with maybe one toe still touching!

20150621_133657.jpg

Had our friends puppy on the boat too last weekend, he's at the sleepy stage so the boat just lulled him to sleep and he hung out wrapped in a towel. Wondering what my dog is thinking in this pic while the puppy chews his dock bungee/leash!

20150619_133702.jpg

Have to say no way for our 90 lb Sheppard and 80 lb pointer. I have dog hair everywhere I am. In my camaro, at the office, everywhere. Also I don't want the distraction. My buddy takes his dogs out but he has a 28ft bowrider, and he anchors off most of the time

• 6 months later...