Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dogs in the boat?

mountaineerhill

Ya'll have convinced me!! think i'm gonna keep him at home this long weekend but i'll bring him on a short trip one weekend here soon. I'v trained him that couches and chairs are bad so he will probably love the boat seats.

Good idea if he hasn't been out on the lake before; it will be good to ease him into getting used to the boat flying across the lake and whatnot with shorter trips. If he was a lab or something, it's guaranteed he'll love it. The German Shepards I know are 50/50 on loving the water and being terrified of it. My dogs are boston terrier mixes - they love being in the boat but ain't jumping in the water any time soon.

waiting for Phil to cruise through this one...

I'm telling my wife tonight that I'm going to take her cat this summer with us. This should go over well.

we used to take our 7 pound yorkie all the time in our old boat and he always seemed to enjoy it but with the open bow boat he always trys to hide and doesn't want to sit with us or on the seats. Don't understand it but we do not take him much any more unless we are going for a sunset cruise or something.

We have a lab that's the most well behaved dog I've had to date. Mild mannered, obedient, never wanders even though hes outside in an unfenced yard all day............until he sees water. Then he turns into an absolute friggen lunatic. Will never have him in our boat.

I grew up on a lake with labs, they were in the boat before anyone else and went everywhere with us. People stepping on seats has done more damage than the dogs every have. Now I don't own a lake house :(, so the current dogs don't go with us very often, but every once in a while. I have an older, not so pristine boat and interior. As much as I wish it was mint, every time I'm out with a bunch of kids climbing around and having fun, I'm so glad I don't have to be a boat Nazis and yell at them. Really reduces my stress level which in turn allows everyone else to have a better time.

One more dog thing I'd like to share... getting your dog on the swim platform.

If you have a large dog that swims up to the platform and can get their front paws on top, you don't need to lift or pull them out. Simply put forward pressure on the back of their head (behind the ears). This will give the dog leverage to pull up on the deck.

It is far less effort and pressure than pulling on a collar, nape of neck, or life vest. My 9 yr old can easily help the 70lb dog on the boat with this technique.

As long as our ballast is full, the platform is sunk, the dog can board by itself.

My yellow lab is just as much of a family member as any of us, but she's only allowed on the pontoon. She gets ticked off when she does go out if we have a ton of people, but since she's never been on any of the Bu's we've had, she knows no different.

Technically he's not a dog....he's a Mog

Half man....half dog. He's his own best friend. :)

hmmm, i was thinking that is the right hand :biggrin: