Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dogs in the boat?

mountaineerhill

How many people actually bring their dog with them? If so what precautions do you take

My 115lb German Shepard always paces around the boat as we load it up but i'm afraid he will tear the seats to hell if he gets in. We keep his nails clipped but how much damage can I expect

ahopkins22LSV

I bring our 115ish pound mastiff lab mix. He has not done any damage in two years. We keep his nails clipped as well. We just try to keep him from pacing or jumping on the seats too much but he does get in and out via platform so he is on the back seat and trunk pads quite often.

post-23201-14323080160786_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

My view in the past was no way with dogs on the boat. However due to a new 7ish lb puppy in the house it appears that rule will be changing if I ever want to get out in the boat, so I'm curious to hear the ideas since she has some pretty sharp claws. I think at a minimum that the carpet is coming out.

Ours always come with us, but both dogs are small. One is 7 lbs the other is 17 lbs.... nails trimmed monthly, no damage to date on any boat of ours.

We keep a bowl in the boat though so they have water throughout the day

Edited by sidekicknicholas

In my '98 with the original worn interior, I have no problems with dogs. One of my fears about upgrading to a new boat or even getting a new interior is how neuritic I'd become over things like this. If I had one of these new models with the prices they want, I'd probably have a hard time letting certain people in the boat!

Ours is around 30 pounds. If we go, he goes. He knows the word boat so well we have to spell it out when we aren't actually going to the lake otherwise he sits and waits at the door. We keep his nails trimmed and have to vacuum more often. As other have said, he adds to the boating experience.

• Like 2

I have a 100lb Rhodesian ridgeback. No problems at all with the upholstery. I always have a cheap bottle of VLR from Walmart and usually do a quick wipe down after ever day on the lake.

• Like 2

Always comes along. Sometimes, I get left behind...

Claws have never been an issue. We bought a 5' x 5' piece of wetsuit material that we cover the back seat and transom if needed (credit Bunji for that idea)

post-5643-0-38562200-1432309731_thumb.jp

Edited by DIE2SURF

In my '98 with the original worn interior, I have no problems with dogs. One of my fears about upgrading to a new boat or even getting a new interior is how neuritic I'd become over things like this. If I had one of these new models with the prices they want, I'd probably have a hard time letting certain people in the boat!

Sorry about the nicks ;)

My view in the past was no way with dogs on the boat. However due to a new 7ish lb puppy in the house it appears that rule will be changing if I ever want to get out in the boat, so I'm curious to hear the ideas since she has some pretty sharp claws. I think at a minimum that the carpet is coming out.

I'm with you. Here's my short experience...

I have a 70lb, 1 year old lab. She's been out on the boat with us 4-5 times.

1) You'll be a nervous wreck at first, but the vinyl holds up pretty well to the dog. Ours was a spaz the first few times, and I'm shocked she didn't ruin a seat.

2) If you can, enforce rules. I spend a lot of time training my dog for hunting; she understands obedience. The rest of the family wasn't down with enforcing rules the first couple outings ("Dad, let her have fun!"), and our dog was a pain. She was jumping in the lake when a kid was about to ride. She lept on the tube and scratched the kids. She'd run around while the boat was underway. This past weekend, I brought along the e-collar (which she loves because she thinks something good is about to happen). I had her sit in one place until she was invited to move about the boat, get in the water, etc. Everyone had more fun, less yelling, less crying, etc.

3) Consider a doggie life vest. My dog is a badass swimmer, and I thought swim vest were for wimpy house dogs. My dog looks like a beaver cruising around our dock swimming for long periods at a time; she never tires out. Swimming around a floating boat is different. Anchor lines, tube lines, poor visibility near boat, blah, blah, blah. Also, the dog needs help getting on the back deck. Life vest will make your outing more enjoyable.

4) Our dog gets regular walks on the street/sidewalk. That may help with the sharp claw issue...

Edited by flapjack
  • Like 3

I whole-heartedly agree with the dog life vest as flapjack advised. Some dogs (especially labs) are obsessed with swimming, so much so that they get exhausted. Once they are too tired to swim, they can sink like a rock. That would be tragic.

The Ruffwear K-9 Float Coat is excellent.

post-5643-0-56051300-1432313958_thumb.jp

Edited by DIE2SURF
  • Like 2

I'm with you. Here's my short experience...

I have a 70lb, 1 year old lab. She's been out on the boat with us 4-5 times.

1) You'll be a nervous wreck at first, but the vinyl holds up pretty well to the dog. Ours was a spaz the first few times, and I'm shocked she didn't ruin a seat.

2) If you can, enforce rules. I spend a lot of time training my dog for hunting; she understands obedience. The rest of the family wasn't down with enforcing rules the first couple outings ("Dad, let her have fun!"), and our dog was a pain. She was jumping in the lake when a kid was about to ride. She lept on the tube and scratched the kids. She'd run around while the boat was underway. This past weekend, I brought along the e-collar (which she loves because she thinks something good is about to happen). I had her sit in one place until she was invited to move about the boat, get in the water, etc. Everyone had more fun, less yelling, less crying, etc.

3) Consider a doggie life vest. My dog is a badass swimmer, and I thought swim vest were for wimpy house dogs. My dog looks like a beaver cruising around our dock swimming for long periods at a time; she never tires out. Swimming around a floating boat is different. Anchor lines, tube lines, poor visibility near boat, blah, blah, blah. Also, the dog needs help getting on the back deck. Life vest will make your outing more enjoyable.

4) Our dog gets regular walks on the street/sidewalk. That may help with the sharp claw issue...

Already bought the vest, although the test fit putting it on her was a wrestling match. I'm assuming a beagle can swim - last one we had could but don't want to find out if she can swim in 55 degree water with rollers. Also figure that it will make it easier to spot the orange if she does hop out at a random time.

Ours is a 25lb Shiba Inu and we got him a life jacket and little booties for this paws even though we trim his nails often it was worth the piece of mind. The life jacket has handles on the back so its easy to lift him out of the water. On the old boat I'd just have to spend more time vacumming the carpet, on this boat I think I'll just remove the snap out carpet on day we take him, everything else is easy to wipe down.

One more dog thing I'd like to share... getting your dog on the swim platform.

If you have a large dog that swims up to the platform and can get their front paws on top, you don't need to lift or pull them out. Simply put forward pressure on the back of their head (behind the ears). This will give the dog leverage to pull up on the deck.

It is far less effort and pressure than pulling on a collar, nape of neck, or life vest. My 9 yr old can easily help the 70lb dog on the boat with this technique.

Our 2 RR's go out with us regularly. I use a dremel tool a couple times a week to keep their nails rounded and smooth. Ever since she was a puppy, the older gal has been the best observer in my family - she gets very anxious every time we idle away from a skier or rider and doesn't take her eyes off them until they are back in the boat.

post-92-0-60397600-1432312440_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-36174300-1432312587_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

This what I bought. Yours looks a lot easier to get on.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyjen-2520-Easy-Fit-Adjustable-Preserver/dp/B0081XIKYG

It's not bad at all. He isn't a huge fan of it but it floats him just fine. We take it off when he gets in the bot because I imagine it would be really hot to have on all the time with his thick black coat.

Sorry about the nicks ;)

Haha, like I said, if it was perfect, I'd care way more about every little blemish and probably harp on my crew! In this aspect, I prefer used boats. Who caused that guage? You, me, previous owner? Who cares, go boating and have fun. I think I am already responsible for a few anyways.

Ya'll have convinced me!! think i'm gonna keep him at home this long weekend but i'll bring him on a short trip one weekend here soon. I'v trained him that couches and chairs are bad so he will probably love the boat seats.

Always comes along. Sometimes, I get left behind...

Claws have never been an issue. We bought a 5' x 5' piece of wetsuit material that we cover the back seat and transom if needed (credit Bunji for that idea)

the picture in this post makes me smile. have a great memorial day weekend crew and be safe.