Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Eff this impeller!

This darn thing won't come out for nothing! I got about an 1/8" out of it and that's all including ripping a fin off. Paint can openers and needle nose. Cranked the boat a couple times too with the distributor cap wire off. Ideas?

2000 23 LSV

No, no beer unfortunately. I work nights and get the afternoons to work on the boat. I live in Tulsa and we FINALLY got two days with no rain. (Boat stays in a storage unit) We've had 11.7" of rain in like 2 months and 4-5" more by Monday, therefore the maintenance list on the new boat has grown to be pretty long. Finally hammered it all out today. Filters, fluids, plugs, cap/rotor, impeller, belt and lubed the rudder although I think the bottom zerk is bad, I couldnt get it to take grease. Wires looked clean thankfully.

As to the impeller tool, I've dumped about $2500ish in this thing the last month between the "cool" stuff, stereo and maintenance what nots between the boat and trailer. Boat was in great shape when I bought it but if I don't know it's been done, it's getting done for peace of mind basically.

SO, if I can cut some cost somewhere, I will. I'll snag one up next time I do it after I recoupe some cash.

I think I just wasn't doing it right with the can openers. Once I put both on there and grabbed the inside, it popped right out.

Edited by triscadek

Hee hee. It always amazes me how many peeps are more than willing to take on the tremendous expense of owning, driving, and storing a boat, all the while not blinking twice about the cost of

associated skis/boards, ropes, and other paraphernalia, yet they seem so darn resistant to the simple fact that they actually make a tool for this job! Sure, it can be done without it, but why would

anyone want to?

Impeller puller cost me like $50, purchased ten years ago. So, it has cost me about $5 per season [because I'm one of those OCD guys that actually changes my impeller every year]. It works

first time every time. No lube necessary. No bumping the engine needed. No prying and cursing required. And, I know that, should the need ever arise for replacing my impeller on an emergent/

urgent basis while out on the water (I keep the previous year's impeller in a plastic baggy), its a predictable 10 minutes-or-less job.

Having a DD I can change the impeller with paint can openers just as fast as a Vdrive guy can with the puller.. That said if I ever get to upgrade to a Vdrive I will be getting the puller. Access is everything.

No, no beer unfortunately. I work nights and get the afternoons to work on the boat. I live in Tulsa and we FINALLY got two days with no rain. (Boat stays in a storage unit) We've had 11.7" of rain in like 2 months and 4-5" more by Monday, therefore the maintenance list on the new boat has grown to be pretty long. Finally hammered it all out today. Filters, fluids, plugs, cap/rotor, impeller, belt and lubed the rudder although I think the bottom zerk is bad, I couldnt get it to take grease. Wires looked clean thankfully.

As to the impeller tool, I've dumped about $2500ish in this thing the last month between the "cool" stuff, stereo and maintenance what nots between the boat and trailer. Boat was in great shape when I bought it but if I don't know it's been done, it's getting done for peace of mind basically.

SO, if I can cut some cost somewhere, I will. I'll snag one up next time I do it after I recoupe some cash.

I think I just wasn't doing it right with the can openers. Once I put both on there and grabbed the inside, it popped right out.

If you hadn't asked the crew, it would still be stuck.

Found using one of those multi grip type pliers to grip the central bore & the outer portion of the impeller hub worked well.

Pull the impeller at the end of each season, store it in a plastic bar tied a round the steering wheel.that way, should Alzheimer's kick in next season the bag on the wheel will ring alarm bells to put it back in.

Get several seasons out of the impeller.

This method of not prying paint can openers or screw drivers against the side of the pump housing will ensure the seal works every time as the face will have no risk of damage.

Toyed with long nose pliers to grab the fins but this would potentially rip off the fin or score the inside of the housing impeller face.

Just my $0.02 worth.

I also like to pull the impeller in the fall and mine always comes out easy (by hand wiggling it) since I add some anti-seize to the shaft in the spring when putting it in. I'm sure you could use regular grease too. Anything to prevent gunk buildup should work. No paint an pullers or tools required.

Having a DD I can change the impeller with paint can openers just as fast as a Vdrive guy can with the puller.. That said if I ever get to upgrade to a Vdrive I will be getting the puller. Access is everything.

Ha, since when is a Vdrive an upgrade. :)

• Like 3