Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 F-150 to Have Auto-guided Trailer Backup Control

Cory

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/05/ford-unveils-pro-trailer-backup-assist-for-2016-f-150.html

This is an interesting feature. While I don't have much trouble threading the needle when backing our boat, I do curse my little utility trailer which completely disappears behind the bed of my truck when close to straight.

A new 2016 probably isn't in my future, but a 2017 is a strong possibility...

(Another F-150 thread :))

Edited by Cory

Interesting concept but I wouldn't go out of my way to add this option. Backing a trailer isn't the most difficult thing on the planet. Now on the infrequent times I have my wife operate the truck when launching or landing this device may prevent me from having to sleep on the couch after a trip to the boat ramp.

it actually seems more difficult. turn the knob which was you want the trailer to go? thats weirder than turning the steering wheel.

Seems far inferior to the reported feature on the new XC 90 (or was it the Q7?) that is true back up. No driver input other than brake. Think, auto-parallel parking car.

I'd rather have the wife and eventually the kids learn the right way (non-electronic nanny controlled), but probably a feature I would add on my next truck at the sub-$1,000 price tag I think I saw skimming the article.

Technologically cool, but just another gizmo to fail.

These trucks have become a cluster of gizmos. Does one more really make a difference?

Edited by Cory

after watching the video, not what I was hoping for. I'll stick to the old fashioned way. My wife will learn the hard way.

I'd have to try it before passing judgment on it. I'd be more interested in seeing how it works on my little 8ft utility trailer than my boat. Our garage door at our cabin is only 106" wide, while my boat is 102" and the approach is not straight either. It usually takes me a few attempts to get the boat lined up and in. I wonder if this would help???

I'd have to try it before passing judgment on it. I'd be more interested in seeing how it works on my little 8ft utility trailer than my boat. Our garage door at our cabin is only 106" wide, while my boat is 102" and the approach is not straight either. It usually takes me a few attempts to get the boat lined up and in. I wonder if this would help???

Find a way to get the 360 degree bird-eye view camara capture the trailer, and I would think it would.

I wonder if dealers will let people try it out on a test drive? As the article stated I'm sure it takes getting used to. It seems to me a tight fit is going to be a challenge whether using the steering wheel or a knob on the dash.

These trucks have become a cluster of gizmos. Does one more really make a difference?

Well, that is why I buy the SLT/XLT level of equipment in trucks. So that there are fewer things that I consider unnecessary to fail. My son has a 98 Grand Cherokee with every bell and whistle that you could possibly get and it is a great example of what happens when electronics (mostly useless) start going bad. The best one is the memory seat that moves based on which fob you unlocked with - awesome random seat movement in a car with only one driver.

I wonder if dealers will let people try it out on a test drive? As the article stated I'm sure it takes getting used to. It seems to me a tight fit is going to be a challenge whether using the steering wheel or a knob on the dash.

Does seem like a tough feature to sell without a demo

I wonder if you can get a tow package without that feature? It's not something I need.

No way can you hold onto a man card with $1,000 joystick trailer backup computer drive option, just not right.

I can just see it now, "the Wally Backup Feature" brought to a dealership near you.....

Lose you man card.

Get a glitter embossed Wally Card.

All the more reason for another F150 thread.

Dream come true, I'll take that in Black please, So last time I had the wife back me down, 10 minutes later she gets out and an old man tries & does the same thing... What better way to convince your wife you need this truck!! I will have one for sure,

The older I get the less I care about all this Bull-shish.

More and more ways to pry even MORE cash away from people , and a buttload of new problems that will arise because of it.

Edited by Bawshogg
  • Like 3

That's an awesome feature! I wonder what limitations it has on turn radius. We back our trailer into the garage on an uphill pitch and nearly jackknife it to get it in smoothly, would this allow you to do that?

Edited by saxton15
ahopkins22LSV

I wonder if you can get a tow package without that feature? It's not something I need.

One would hope but I could see the answer being no.

The older I get the less I care about all this Bull-shish.

More and more ways to pry even MORE cash away from people , and a buttload of new problems that will arise because of it.

This is why I just bought the cleanest 2005 I could find in my area in three week search. The new trucks are amazing and cool. But there is still something the pulls me in about a truck just being simple.

When I see this thing back up a single spot jetski trailer, I'll be impressed. Big boats and utility trailers are pretty easy. Those little short trailers, no thanks, they don't seem to follow the rules of physics nor track straight to begin with.

Friend of mine in Fla had one of those Chebby trucks with the four wheel steering that was available for about 3.5 months. If you want a vehicle to manhandle a trailer, bring back that system. Wow....