Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Filling up with gas

aralizadeh

Hello all. Just got 24 MXZ. Very excited! Question is how do you usually fill up your gas tank? Do you go to the marina on your lake or do you lug your own containers of gas? If so, what size do you use to fill, etc? I think my boat has a 70 gallon tank!

I usually fill my 24 up while listening to my visa cry! Not sure if tank size changed, but my 14 has 78 gallon tank. 78 gallons of premium...$250/tank. I trailer, so costco is my normal stop. I am about to buy a big gas caddy next month, as we are taking a 4th of july trip to a remote lake. Most marinas here only have 87 octane, and i do not trust the age of the gas. Plus it is usually $1.50~$2.00 more per gallon. So in my case marina gas is only for last resort.

• Like 3

I do everything. Trailering to the gas station is the cheapest/easiest way. If there is ethanol free gas at your marina that isn't too expensive that is the second best option.

I typically will make sure to use only ethanol free with stabil at the end of the season. You don't want ethanol in there all winter. During the season I burn so much that I just get the cheapest thing above 89 octane.

• Like 2

I have two 14 gallon Gerry cans and a couple more 5 gallons. We have a gas station a 5 minute drive from our lake house, so I just go fill those up and load the boat up from the dock. I save a lot of money this way rather than the expensive gas docks.

Ethanol free at the marina. It's usually around $.50 higher per gallon but I don't mind paying extra. Trying to find ethanol free at local gas stations is difficult and it's no fun lugging gas cans down to the dock. I don't trailer....sits on a lift at the lake.

Good grief, how much do these boats burn these days. I dump a 6 gallon can of 89 in my sporty which will last 3-4 hours at slalom and barefoot speeds. After that I'm pretty tired tired so I just but the boat away for the rest of the day.

6 gallons for 3-4 hours of skiing? That is a little hard to believe unless you are counting the time the boat is off. I know how much we burn through in a Prostar and LXI for 32MPH sets and 6 gal doesn't go far.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

I think we get about two 15 minute full throttle barefoot runs with 5 gallons. Granted we sit down(butslide) and rest a second after the first 2 miles.

Also to the OP, in any filling format, lift up your back bench seat and remove the tray to observe how full the gas tank is. Especially if you are pumping gas at a marina.

I fill up before launching. Then drag cans down if it runs out before we pull the boat mid summer. Fill before re-launching then cans again if necessary.

Also to the OP, in any filling format, lift up your back bench seat and remove the tray to observe how full the gas tank is. Especially if you are pumping gas at a marina.

Why? Never heard of anyone doing this and have never seen it done before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 gallon cans and a jiggler syphon for me. Using the syphon hose I dont spill a drop.

That is how we fill up the inlaws lxi that lives on a lift. Works great if you have to fill from cans.

So, being a newbie here to owning a Malibu and the forums, what is more important? I've got the 350.

- The Octane? And if so, what grade? 87? 89? 93? Manual says 89 or better as I recall.

OR

- The gas being ethanol free?

I trailer my boat, and always gas up before going out for the day. The Octane is, obviously, easy for me to control. The ethanol-free part, well, not so easy.

In my previous boat (11 Stingray 185LS w/ 3.0 carburated Volvo Penta) I didn't worry much and just ran 87 octane fuel from either a BP or an Exxon station near where I park the boat. Both stations pump "may have up to 10% Ethanol" gas. I do have an Ethanol free option or two, but I need to check and see on the octane they offer. Thinking it might be only premium 93.

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

Jesse

Sometimes I will siphon, using my 3 six gallon tanks from my 1970 boat, especially if I think i will use more than a tank in one day. But normally we pull the boat and go to the nearby gas station. It takes 1/2 hr, start to finish. Carrying and siphoning gas to the boat takes just as long and introduces more dirt into the tank. It also increases the risk of spillage.

Edited by electricjohn

So, being a newbie here to owning a Malibu and the forums, what is more important? I've got the 350.

- The Octane? And if so, what grade? 87? 89? 93? Manual says 89 or better as I recall.

OR

I trailer my boat, and always gas up before going out for the day. The Octane is, obviously, easy for me to control. The ethanol-free part, well, not so easy.

In my previous boat (11 Stingray 185LS w/ 3.0 carburated Volvo Penta) I didn't worry much and just ran 87 octane fuel from either a BP or an Exxon station near where I park the boat. Both stations pump "may have up to 10% Ethanol" gas. I do have an Ethanol free option or two, but I need to check and see on the octane they offer. Thinking it might be only premium 93.

Jesse

Octane is the top priority. Ethanol free is mainly better for long storage periods. Your boat will run fine off E10.

i trailer it to the gas station before i drop it in for the season. after that, i have a gas caddy that i can squeeze 12 gallons in. because the wheels are cheesy, i bought a nice dolly to strap it to and push it to the dock. I replaced the end with a ball valve so i can put it in the tank and walk away. Works well. I also put startron in every gas can i fill.

ahopkins22LSV

OR

Jesse

Run 89 or 87 and you are fine. My family and I have never run ethanol free gas and have been perfectly fine for 20+ years of boating. Plus all of our friends who run the same. Some stabil in the tank over winter storage periods and you are fine. I personally run 89 most of the time but friends bring fuel all the time that is 87 and there is no difference in engine performance.