Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New (to me) boat - first time post. advice on upkeep

marroquin

Hi everyone - I've been reading this site since fall - you all are a great resource for information. Anyway, at the end of last fall I bought a 2005 iRide with 127 hours. While I'm not new to boating, this is the first boat that I've owned. I live in MN, so I've only been able to take it out twice so far this spring. From conversing with a buddy who has a boat, he advises spraying & wiping down the hull with a 50/50 vinegar/water mixture after every time I pull it out of the water (I trailer my boat everywhere).

What other kind of maintenance do you guys perform on your boat throughout the summer? I plan on buying some teak oil to oil the swim platform on some (to be determined) interval. How often do you wax your hull? What else should I be doing on a regular basis to keep my boat tip top? What about the trailer?

thanks!

boat%20pic_zpsrgmnxf8i.jpg

Wax it and then wipe it down with a towel right after you pull it out of the water. Some folks use either spot remover spray or wax as you dry as part of their wipedown, it does help a bit on the darker colored hulls like yours and mine.

I typically just use the towel at the launch (out of the way) and then every couple times use some Eagle One Marine Wax as you Dry for a second wipe down at home. The 50/50 mix should work as well as any spot spray you can buy - I bought a bottle of something last year and it smelled like vinegar.

I wax mine twice a year with a good paste wax, the spray stuff I use seems to help keep wax on the boat.

Congrats on the boat, I hope it finally warms up soon. haven't had mine in the water once this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Boat-Bling-HS-Premium-Remover/dp/B006GWVBQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432134759&sr=8-1&keywords=hot+sauce+boat+cleaner

I use this every time I pull the boat out of the water.

Wax 3 times a year with your choice of wax.

The interior gets this now:

http://www.amazon.com/Boat-Bling-VS-Detailing-Product/dp/B006GJYKWI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432134759&sr=8-3&keywords=hot+sauce+boat+cleaner

As for the teak research teak sealer many on here have had great results with it. This will save you from having to oil it all the time.

Keep it clean and keep up with the preventive maintenance and it should last you for a long time. Also if you have any questions the crew is a great resource.

Edited by jb 156

+1 on waxing twice a year and the 50/50 vinegar water solution for water spots. I use Meguiar's Flagship wax and 303 is what i have always used for the vinyl.

congrats on the boat! I've always liked the blue/black/white gel color combination.

by the way.....how far is the drop beyond the "danger drop off ahead" sign in your pic?

The most important part of keeping the boat looking good is the wipe-down and hitting the spots with vinegar solution as others have suggested. People comment all the time that I must spend hours waxing my boat, I think I have only put a full wax job on it 2 times since new, other times its the quick spray polymer stuff.

Great looking boat!

Pick up some Boat Bling Hot Sauce for all your water spots.

I leave my boat in the water from May to September. I pull it out twice a summer to give it a full wax and change the oil/filter if at the 50 hour interval. Other than that I wipe and clean my boat at the end of each weekend before I cover it for the week. I use the Hot Sauce on the hull right to the water line to remove all the water spots.

+1 on waxing twice a year and the 50/50 vinegar water solution for water spots. I use Meguiar's Flagship wax and 303 is what i have always used for the vinyl.

congrats on the boat! I've always liked the blue/black/white gel color combination.

by the way.....how far is the drop beyond the "danger drop off ahead" sign in your pic?

This was at the launch where I bought it from the guy last fall after the test drive. I can't remember entirely, but I don't think there was really much of a point of a danger sign - maybe just for idiots that don't realize that it's a boat launch :)

FWIW, the vinegar/water mixture, or Ducky spray if you don't want to mix it yourself, while effective at removing the water spots, actually removes your wax.

But, if you already have a good coat of wax, or similar product (I use Starbrite Marine Polish with PTEF), on your hull, a simple wipe down with this chamois:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16767897?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227009554030&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839568472&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78652667072&veh=sem is all it takes to keep your boat looking great. My boat has almost the exact colors as yours, and I very rarely have to resort to using vinegar.

The Starbrite lasts longer than carnauba wax, and I only use it twice a year. In addition to the Starbrite, about every third or fourth trip out, I spritz on some

Babe's Boat Bright after the chamois wipe down.

Edited by srab

FWIW, the vinegar/water mixture, or Ducky spray if you don't want to mix it yourself, while effective at removing the water spots, actually removes your wax.

this is correct. If the water spots are heavy, 50/50 water vinegar may be necessary. if they are light a 80/20 blend usually works well with out removing too much wax.

If you ever have extreme hard water build up issues that can't be removed with vinegar, hyrdochloric acid at low concentrations will work very well without damaging the gel coat. sno-bol toilet cleaner has a 15% Hydrogen Chloride Active Level and will completely dissolve the hard mineral build ups. it will also remove ALL the wax. Just be sure follow the safety label for proper handling as it can cause mild burns to the skin.

Hi everyone - I've been reading this site since fall - you all are a great resource for information. Anyway, at the end of last fall I bought a 2005 iRide with 127 hours. While I'm not new to boating, this is the first boat that I've owned. I live in MN, so I've only been able to take it out twice so far this spring. From conversing with a buddy who has a boat, he advises spraying & wiping down the hull with a 50/50 vinegar/water mixture after every time I pull it out of the water (I trailer my boat everywhere).

What other kind of maintenance do you guys perform on your boat throughout the summer? I plan on buying some teak oil to oil the swim platform on some (to be determined) interval. How often do you wax your hull? What else should I be doing on a regular basis to keep my boat tip top? What about the trailer?

thanks!

boat%20pic_zpsrgmnxf8i.jpg

Good to see you on here, CM! I was pumped when I saw your FB post with you and your bride in the new 'BU!! Welcome!

Feel free to PM with any questions. Let me know when you're back in town visiting the parents. It would be good to see you. Don't think I've seen you but once since your sister's wedding.....

So far, you've been given really good advice. For me, since I'm hoist bound all season, I wash and wax at the beginning of the season and do a mid season wax. I really like the Performance Boat Candy products for the hull and I really like Boat Bling products for the vinyl.

Last season when I picked up my new to me RLXI, it was filthy....black hull and filthy. When I washed it, it was full of water spots, scratches, etc. I did a vinegar wash, followed by a very light wet sand (after I filled some gel coat gouges). I wet sanded with 1600 in the tough spots and 2000 in the not so tough spots. I followed that with an application of each of the 3 products offered by Performance Boat Candy......crystal cut compound, crystal cut polish, and 2 coats of crystal gloss. It looked fantastic. I maintain by a wipe down with speed gloss after each use and wax mid season, wash and wax before the winter nap, and she still looks good in the spring. Before it went in the water this season, I did a quick wash and wax using crystal gloss and it's looking awesome.

Again, good to see you on here.