Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raw water pump

How do I know if my water pump is bad? I had the boat creeping up to 200 degrees so I pulled thermostat and tested it. Works fine. Water to 170 degrees on oven and opens up. Changed impeller old one looked ok but three years old. Lines look clear. Should I take apart oil and trany coolers? I just opened where the hose connects too and looked good. Do I need to open screen? Water comes out of boat when fake lake is hooked up. When I was winterozong last year boat didn't want to suck up fluid from bucket. So my question is my water pump bad? Why else would boat run so hot? 98 response 350 carb

Pull your waterlines that run between the raw water pump and the trans cooler. Trash will collect in the bend and clog up the trans cooler when trying to pump water. Check there and make sure the trans cooler is not packed with old impeller bits and lake trash.

The pump housing should not go bad, as long as the internal surface is smooth the impeller should move a lot of water.

Have heard of the engine water pump dropping its impeller or the impeller cracking so the shaft just spins inside the impeller.

There was a recall awhie back for a similar issue.

Result would be little water being circulated unless underway with the raw water pump doing all the work.

Once you have checked the transmissin screen as suggested in the above posts, next area would be the engine water pump

See Post 7 from Bozboat in the link below

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54092-overheating-problem-1988-skier/?hl=%2Bwater+%2Bpump#entry813641