Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New steering cable yet it's stiffer?

1996 Echelon LX; 400 hours

I felt I needed a new steering cable last season. I replaced it this winter only to find the steering is STIFFER. I greased it and that didn't change anything. When at idle the steering seems loose. In gear under a load it's stiff, especially at further tighter rudder deflections.

So I noticed a sloppy play if I reach down and shake the rudder. Is this normal? Could the stiffness be due to the rudder "racking" when it's under load and at a high deflection (tight turn position of the rudder) and binding the shaft?

Thanks,

Woodshed

have you greased the rudder? Does the rudder freely move? Is the cable tightly bolted to the tiller arm?

Something else is going on, grease the rudder, if that doesn't help re-pack the rudder? Otherwise check the routing of the cable and also check how you routed it through the steering box? Your cable should be super smooth and low-resistance. My rudder actually has play (i need to re-pack) but it's not causing any steering stiffness.

My boat was exhibiting the same as yours (i.e. easy at low speeds, harder at higher speeds) but my cable replacement completely fixed the issue. I wonder if you somehow got a bad cable?

Edited by solorex
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies,

I greased it yesterday and have the same symptoms. It is easy to move when not in gear or sitting still. It's only tight under a load and if making a tighter turn.

Woodshed

It does sound like the rudder is binding. Disconnect the steering cable and verify that it works smoothly, then grab the rudder from under the boat and move it back and forth. Do the same thing again, but pull back firmly on the rudder as you turn it. Does it get hard to turn?

Jason,

I'm having problems seeing your gallery AND PM'ing you. Can you PM me so we can make contact? I'd like to get those pics and maybe ask a question or two?

Thanks

Woodshed