Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 TXI Exhaust

I have a new TXI with the PCM 350 motor. I was out skiing the other day and while I was resting in the water, I noticed that all of the exhaust was coming out of the port exhaust outlet. I had the driver rev the motor and confirmed that all the exhaust gas was coming out that side and only warm water was coming out the driver's (starboard) side. Visually inspecting the starboard exhaust pipe, I could see some type of fiberglass plug that takes up the majority of the exhaust pipe. It is located about 34" inside the exhaust. Is this NORMAL? I know the PCM manifolds come together into one downtube then split again into two pipes. Seems odd that only one exhaust works. The boat seems to run fine and getting good times in the course. I am a little concerned that max rpm is only 4400 but also operating at 4000' above sea level. My 2012 with Indmar would hit 4850

Seems odd!

Is the 'plug' like a deliberately moulded, solid piece of material or more like a wad of loose material that might be the attenuation lining collapsed from inside the silencer?

ahopkins22LSV

Exhaust only coming out one side at idle is not un-normal. My 13 does that.

Not sure what should or shouldn't be in the exhaust. Does it look like water is flowing out equally when the boat is at speed and you are behind it?

RPM difference could be a difference in props. Are they the same?

Also, lets see some pics of the TXi!!

• Like 2

Exhaust is definitely coming out of port only at speed. It is a molded piece of fiberglass that looks like a partial dam. How do you add photos here?

Exhaust is definitely coming out of port only at speed. It is a molded piece of fiberglass that looks like a partial dam. How do you post photos here?

ahopkins22LSV

Exhaust is definitely coming out of port only at speed. It is a molded piece of fiberglass that looks like a partial dam. How do you post photos here?

Use an online image host like Photobucket then copy and paste the IMG code link into the text box here.

Doesn't the 2015 have a pcm motor, and aren't they traditionally single exhaust pipe?

Yes. I know on the '15 TXi's I have looked at they have dual exhaust tips. No idea if that means they are functional or for show? I do know the '15 Axis with PCM only have one exhaust port. :dontknow:

The PCM engine in the 2015 TXI does indeed have a single exhaust pipe coming off the engine; however, this tees into dual exhaust pipes just aft of the engine (as noted previously). With the boat out of the water and running the engine with a "fake-a-lake" or transom flush kit, you should see water coming out of both transom exhaust pipes, although there's typically a slight imbalance in the flow rate between ports.

With regard to WOT RPMs, I see about 4750 at around 1700 ft elevation with the stock 525 prop and PCM 350. Yes, a bit low relative to the 5000-5300 stated in the Crusader owner's manual, but if you assume a 3% power loss for each 1000 feet of elevation, then the observed WOT RPMs are in the ballpark, based on the low end of the sea-level RPMs in the manual.

Here are a couple of pic's of my friends TXI exhaust. Both manifolds merge into 1 pipe that runs to the muffler that divides it back to 2. Not one of Malibu's best ideas, looks like someone realized at the last moment that the motor has 1 exhaust and the boat has 2.

post-82-0-36426600-1432516767_thumb.jpg
post-82-0-93493500-1432516755_thumb.jpg

So are there more then one engine option and are they all PCM's? If not I might think its best to make all hulls the same and just deal with the one option engine as needed. I have not looked at new packages. One should not look if one has no plans on updating, or one could find explaining spending large amounts of cash to one's wife! :whistle: As said most PCM's may be all I have seen are single exhaust.