Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

After market integration into 2015 possible?

67King

Greetings. Got a spray date yesterday. Have to finalize my order pronto. On my Axis, I went stereo delete, and put in a nice Wetsounds system. Would like to do the same here, but given that the stereo is now integrated into the dash, I'm not sure how that would work.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to maintain factory controls if I get no stereo equipment, and do a full system myself? Lotta coin to do the factory system, and I'd ultimately rather have what I want, anyway. But I am afraid that if I don't get it from the factory, I won't have hte controls.

I feel your pain. On my previous boat I did radio delete, no wiring and no batteries and had a custom installer put in a complete custom system, including wiring. Exactly what I wanted.

I am taking delivery on my new boat this Thursday and between the dealer and the custom stereo shop, they both convinced me to install the factory stereo, and then add the amps and speakers I want to get the system to sound the way I want it to.

They convinced me that they have not found a way to do stereo delete and utilize the integrated controls, and that even if I were willing to forego the integration of the dash and the dash controls, it would hurt my resale.

Additionally, I can always bypass my stereo with the WS EQ or another DSP if I choose to do so, and still have the factory integration if I want it. It certainly costs more to to have both.

In any event, this is where I ended up and I was pushing the custom installer to figure out some kind of work around and he was certainly motivated to sell me a custom system, and he advised against doing so.

Having said that, there are a lot more resourceful people on this board than me, and I will be interested in hearing what they chose to do.

I do have a friend that has a 2015 23 LSV with the factory stereo and he said if he were to order the boat today he would have gone radio delete and lived without the dash integration. I do not have my boat yet, but if I understand correctly, if you do radio delete, you are only giving up 2 things, the control of the fat knob (not sure what you call it, but it can control volume, mute, song adv, from a very convenient location) and the song information on the screen. The screen integration is difficult to replace, but the convenient volume control, mute and song advance can be found on just about any custom system you put in. If you have a play list and simply stick your iPod or iphone in the glove compartment and you do not care about seeing what is playing on the screen, stereo delete may be a good option for you.

Again, as I do not have my boat yet, I may be missing something else. Best of luck with your decision. I am interested to see what you decide.

The last new boat I ordered was a 2010 23 LSV. I ordered just the Rockford head unit because of the integration issue. I was concerned about using the cheap Rockford unit as my source signal but decided to move forward knowing I could change it out if needed. The final system sounded great. The best I have ever heard. The price of the head unit only was very reasonable. The boat came with the amp wiring, amp board, and fuse block already done. The holes for the cabin speakers were already there but covered with vinyl. I just had to cut the vinyl and drop in my speakers. The cabin speaker wiring was already there. The tower was wired as well. I did rewire the tower with a more substantial wire. Other than that the work Malibu did was first class. The head unit only price was a steal considering how much time and money it saved me.

• Like 1

I'm currently having my Install done as I type, I ordered Stereo delete and my buddy said it looked fairly simple to buy the Black box on line and install it, He said all the wires are there, We may mess with that later, Right now I just want to get on the water, But he seem to think it was no big deal, But again we have not tried it yet, I'm also using the Exile BT so really the knob is cool and I did like the volume fade when you throttle down, But really it was not enough to order mine with the stereo pieces I was just going to get rid of anyway, Stay tuned I'm sure someone on here will try it soon!

I'm currently having my Install done as I type, I ordered Stereo delete and my buddy said it looked fairly simple to buy the Black box on line and install it, He said all the wires are there, We may mess with that later, Right now I just want to get on the water, But he seem to think it was no big deal, But again we have not tried it yet, I'm also using the Exile BT so really the knob is cool and I did like the volume fade when you throttle down, But really it was not enough to order mine with the stereo pieces I was just going to get rid of anyway, Stay tuned I'm sure someone on here will try it soon!

I owe you a big "THANK YOU!" When I submitted my order, I assumed there was no way to do any integration, so I had resigned to getting the factory stuff. Then I saw your boat in the thread about pictures of new boats, and saw that it had no speakers.......so I dug into some of your stuff. Was going to PM you, but decided to post here in case anyone else was looking. And I'm guessing given your brother's profession, our taste in music isn't too, too far off......

Bottom line is that you are right about the black box. Ended up getting in touch with the right person there, and they confirmed that it can all be integrated through that. So i ended up changing my order. Ended up doing tower speakers, though, since they are already what I'm looking for, and given the customer service I've gotten from Malibu on this build, I would like to go through them as much as I can. I'll use my dealer to order the rest of the Wetsounds stuff (XS808's, likely Syn4 amps, and XS12 sub).

• Like 1

I owe you a big "THANK YOU!" When I submitted my order, I assumed there was no way to do any integration, so I had resigned to getting the factory stuff. Then I saw your boat in the thread about pictures of new boats, and saw that it had no speakers.......so I dug into some of your stuff. Was going to PM you, but decided to post here in case anyone else was looking. And I'm guessing given your brother's profession, our taste in music isn't too, too far off......

Bottom line is that you are right about the black box. Ended up getting in touch with the right person there, and they confirmed that it can all be integrated through that. So i ended up changing my order. Ended up doing tower speakers, though, since they are already what I'm looking for, and given the customer service I've gotten from Malibu on this build, I would like to go through them as much as I can. I'll use my dealer to order the rest of the Wetsounds stuff (XS808's, likely Syn4 amps, and XS12 sub).

Sure, it's easy enough to buy a RFX6000 aftermarket... they're pretty cheap too. But hold that "thank you" until you're sure that black box will give you complete factory integration:

* stereo controls on screen

* artist & title displayed on screen

* Viper 2 bluetooth

* Full use of Sport Knob (volume, mute, track skip)

If you're right and all it takes to light uo all that functionality is a black box, then that's awesome. But it would be a departure from what Malibu (not my dealer) told me directly when I was making this same decision months ago. I believe there's a proprietary link between the black box and the dash screen that Malibu will not sell you unless you bought the factory sound pack. That module is the x factor.

Like I said... I hope you're right. If you are, I'll be having a conversation with Malibu about misinformation.

Sure, it's easy enough to buy a RFX6000 aftermarket... they're pretty cheap too. But hold that "thank you" until you're sure that black box will give you complete factory integration:

* stereo controls on screen

* artist & title displayed on screen

* Viper 2 bluetooth

* Full use of Sport Knob (volume, mute, track skip)

If you're right and all it takes to light uo all that functionality is a black box, then that's awesome. But it would be a departure from what Malibu (not my dealer) told me directly when I was making this same decision months ago. I believe there's a proprietary link between the black box and the dash screen that Malibu will not sell you unless you bought the factory sound pack. That module is the x factor.

Like I said... I hope you're right. If you are, I'll be having a conversation with Malibu about misinformation.

I was told the same thing about the magic box between the dash and the black box. However with that said, if I was doing it again, I would go stereo delete.

I was told the same thing about the magic box between the dash and the black box. However with that said, if I was doing it again, I would go stereo delete.

hard to argue that... so I won't.

I just hate to see a guy order stereo delete thinking factory integration will be a snap.

One thing I don't like about stereo delete is having that huge sport knob sitting there with only one function... speed control. For that reason I might just skip it all.

I looked over the system pretty closely as I have been all over a certain 15 VLX the last few months. It appears to be easily doable, but I cant be 100% sure until I'm done with my own testing. All the cabling is in the boat.....and connected at one end. I am 90 percent sure the link between the BB and your display.....is guess what? Under your dash. The cable that runs into the OB compartment is exactly the same as a remote input to the BB. So we shall see. Think about the data that is transmitted through a remote with a display ,somewhat similar to what on the display right? And all the functions of the MTC stereo controls are exactly the same as the RFXMR5BB. I would be willing to bet your sport knob is just a "remote" but we shall see.

Think about the source of your information for just a minute Dave...I ain't saying you are wrong....yet, but just sayin.

I get told lots of things by manufacturers all the time that are not necessarily true.

I looked over the system pretty closely as I have been all over a certain 15 VLX the last few months. It appears to be easily doable, but I cant be 100% sure until I'm done with my own testing. All the cabling is in the boat.....and connected at one end. I am 90 percent sure the link between the BB and your display.....is guess what? Under your dash. The cable that runs into the OB compartment is exactly the same as a remote input to the BB. So we shall see. Think about the data that is transmitted through a remote with a display ,somewhat similar to what on the display right? And all the functions of the MTC stereo controls are exactly the same as the RFXMR5BB. I would be willing to bet your sport knob is just a "remote" but we shall see.

Think about the source of your information for just a minute Dave...I ain't saying you are wrong....yet, but just sayin.

I get told lots of things by manufacturers all the time that are not necessarily true.

I'm certainly not vouching for my source, Baws. Only saying that if I was lied to he will be hearing from me. This is my 4th Malibu... I deserve better from the factory.

We should compare notes... I'm pretty sure I identified the cabling/interface between the BB and the Viper 2 screen. If Vince's boat has that same cabling, then I think we have our answer.

Edited by IXFE

And if that source is a local guy, don't get so fired up just yet. He only knows what they (Malibu)share with him. Sometimes the guys at the factory don't even know what engineering does and someone that had no concept of what really is going on inside those boxes released that statement to the sales division . My best bet. That interface was a joint venture between Patrick Industries..(read Rockford) and Medallion to combine the two for integration purposes.

Vince is game for grabbing a BB and we shall see what the outcome is in the next month or two.

Sure, it's easy enough to buy a RFX6000 aftermarket... .

I'm trying to buy the boat with the BB already installed......by Malibu......from the factory. There is a "special build instruction" note in the order form that dealers have that I am hoping will be done. It does not sound like they have requests like this, so maybe it is as simple as asking the right question to the right person. It also probably helps a whole lot that I'm both local to the factory, and buying an end of the year run (where lots of folks apparently don't want a "year old" boat when they take delivery).

That said, I've put in a couple of iPod interfaces into prior cars I've owned (Mazda, Audi) that plugged into the factory input on the head unit, and they worked great. Of course, the one that didn't (Mercedes) was a factory one, so who knows?

• 3 months later...

Never ended up playing with. Being homeless and having a new baby consumed me so far this year , and wakesetter67 was pretty happy with his existing setup and never really seeked to persue it. We talked about giving it a shot this off season.