Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

surfgate not extending

So after de-winterizing my 2013 lsv I've been having to workout some kinks. Started with our pnp then the presets not working and now the surfgates won't deploy. They worked until I reset both computers which fixed the preset issue. I made sure to enable surfgate on both screens and calibrated them but still nothing. When calibrating is all that needs to be done in simply hitting the button and waiting until they retract or do I need to be moving? Tried it on the lake once and once in my driveway. When I calibrated them in the drive way the motors made noise but did not actually see the gates move. So as of now the boat is ready to go except the surfgates not working. Have done a tone of reading but didn't find an answer.

If I remember correctly you do have to be moving for the surf gate "paddles" to extend (and for the wedge to retract, but not deploy). Take a hairdryer on the no-heat setting and put it on a jack stand blowing on the paddlewheel or an air compressor hose on a very low PSI blowing on the paddlewheel to trick the computer in to thinking you're moving. Make sure your dash is in paddlewheel mode and not GPS mode for testing.

Most important part of the test: don't let your wife/girlfriend see you using her hairdryer to fix the boat, she just won't understand!

So you're saying to calibrate them I should be moving? I'm pretty sure my boat is only equipped with gps but I'll check for a paddle wheel.

no you don't need to move to calibrate. you DEFINITELY don't need to be moving to put them into service mode (also in the setup menu). In service mode both gates will extend. If they don't both extend in service mode then you have an issue.

Okay, when they calibrate do they move? Ill try the service mode. what's interesting is that they had always worked until I reset the maliview and mls screen. Would depth have anything to do with it? We have only been boating in a private lake that's 5 feet deep so far this season.

Not sure about the service mode but my dealer the gates will not deploy unless the boat is moving between 7-15mph. Maybe try that out?

look at page 2-9 and 2-10 of the manual.

http://www.malibuboats.com/assets/files/2014MalibuOwnersManual(1).pdf

service mode only works if you aren't moving (which makes sense because it deploys both gates).

Although it's not depicted on the picture in the manual, my recollection is that service mode is in the viper (maliview) setup screen right under or right above surfgate calibration.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far. I've looked at pages 9 and 10 multiple times now and never noticed the service mode section. I have also look at every possible option in the setup menu on the maliview and have not seen service mode like it's talked about in the manual. I'll check again tonight.

Just checked the 2013 manual I have saved on my phone and it does not have the text saying "surf service". Maybe the 13s don't have that feature?

Called my local dealer and they said to make sure it's all enabled, which it is, and that I have up to date software. which I do. I'm pretty sure at least. hopefully I can trouble shoot this and not take it in. The dealer is 90 minutes away.

I had an actuator go bad on my '13 and only the starboard gate would not deploy, but the port side would. I got a SG High Voltage warning on the Maliview display, ended up switching out the actuator and a blown fuse...I think the actuator held water and went bad over the winter. Have you tried lake testing in surf mode after your updates?

I haven't had any warnings or nothing strange happen other then they don't extend. I can click the button for left or right but it will just stay yellow and nothing happens. I'm almost 100% sure they worked the trip out before I reset the maliview. If I can today ill run it out to this private lake. The thing with this private lake is its only 5 feet deep and we have yet to surf on it. Any other lake is 90 minutes out...

Took it out for a quick spin and success they worked! so yesterday I went to turn on my batteries, I decided to run only battery #1. Well turns out the negative terminal had come off, so I fixed that then continued to check everything was enabled and calibrated the surfgates in the driveway. Today I took it out. Initially I left all ballast empty and turned on the right gate. Nothing happened. I then started filling the ballast and calibrated again. This time around they worked flawlessly. Spent another 30 minutes playing With the wave. So what fixed the issue? I don't have a clue but hey they work.

• 10 months later...
On 5/20/2015 at 9:54 AM, shawndoggy said:

look at page 2-9 and 2-10 of the manual.

http://www.malibuboats.com/assets/files/2014MalibuOwnersManual(1).pdf

service mode only works if you aren't moving (which makes sense because it deploys both gates).

Although it's not depicted on the picture in the manual, my recollection is that service mode is in the viper (maliview) setup screen right under or right above surfgate calibration.

As usual TMC comes through. Had a surf gate issue yesterday. HAD (past tense) is the key word. 

• 3 years later...

Thanks for your story. Did you figure out how to open surf gate. I have the same issue today that I sent factory reset but I cannot get the surf gate to open. The wedge is working fine. Did you find a solution how to open the gates? Thanks