Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OJ 948 Prop test - 22 VLX/409 engine

I was able to get out on the lake today and run the OJ 948.

Here is some data I was able to collect....

Surfing: Hard tanks full, 800 in each locker, 650 bow bag, 4 people in boat, wedge, 11.2 mph - 3250 RPMS

Cruising speed: 26mph - 3500, 30 - 3900 (4100 with the 2315), 33 - 4300, 36 - 4800

Planing out: Full hard tanks, Wedge, to 23 mph - 8.3 seconds

Full hard tanks, 800's in each locker, 650 bow bag, Wedge, to 23 MPH - 19.4 seconds

Next week I will be at 2000' elevation and I am going to run it, this will be a great test. So far I really like this prop, notice the RPMs when surfing.... nice!

Here is a pic of the touch screen while surfing, also more throttle to give. I did not try and go past 11.2.

20150518_173935_zpswmypjn4i.jpg

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2

Ryan I want to say 2315 was around 7.5 seconds, the 2315 was also better for full ballast, wedge, bags (800's/650 bow) at 13.6 compared to the 19.7. I never run that heavy for wakeboarding... it looks like the 948 will drop RPMs approx 200-250 on average over the 2315. For surfing the 2315 with identical setup was at 3500 rpm and the 948 was at 3250 which is 250 less. The 2000' elevation test next week will be the true test for this prop.

Thanks for the report looks like might be a good prop for a lighter loaded 22 with a 350hp? I'm not real impressed so far with the 2419 mine came with seems over kill in the bottom end and rpms way high for cruise.

Sounds good, was just trying to extrapolate mentally what the 948 might do on my 22vlx 350, I really don't like the 2419, I'm 4000 rpm at 30mph cruise. Definately a stump puller but I'm only stock plus 1100lbs for surf and wake. I'm leaning towards the 945 but haven't decided yet.

Edited by catalac

I demo'd the 945, also a great prop...really close to the 2315. It won't be as aggressive as the 2419, next step down.

From reading your review of the 945 sounds the same as the 2315, did it have any lower rpms vs the 2315 at same speeds? I would think 15/13 should be lower than the 15/12... Maybe not exact math on the pitch when manufactured?

From reading your review of the 945 sounds the same as the 2315, did it have any lower rpms vs the 2315 at same speeds? I would think 15/13 should be lower than the 15/12... Maybe not exact math on the pitch when manufactured?

Eric from OJ has posted that their pitch #s and Acmes are not translatable 1:1.

They are almost identical in rpms and performance. If anythong the OJ was a tad better in pulling out of hole weighted. Just based on dealing with Eric at OJ I would go with his prop, his customer service has been excellent.

• Like 2

After reading everything here, I am confident that the 948 is my sweet spot prop I have been looking for. I will be ordering one in the next few days. Thanks for taking the time to post all of your tests!

Mrnate450 if you want something inbetween the 1235 and 2315 I think this would be a great choice for you. I will have altitude test on it next week.

Edited by Fman

I think I want a 15" prop... if you want to come over and grab the 925 you can give it a run. I am sure Eric would not mind. I can even bring it to work so I will be closer to your house...I work out in orangevale.

Fman thanks for posting all the prop info is an excellent resource my dealer today agreed to swap my 2419 for a 2315 no charge on my 22vlx. 2419 was way overkill hoping 2315 more versatile prop.

They are almost identical in rpms and performance. If anythong the OJ was a tad better in pulling out of hole weighted. Just based on dealing with Eric at OJ I would go with his prop, his customer service has been excellent.

Eric is awesome to work with. He is also great at letting you know when something new comes out that is working well. NYRyan worked with him on a 16x15.5 for the 550 G23s (think they have a 1:48 gearbox?) and when that worked well for them, he called me and asked if I wanted to demo one that could be cut for the MC splined shaft on the 7:4 with 1.5 ratio. He sent it to me free of charge and just told me to let him know if I wanted to keep it, and we would work out a trade, or a return, depending on how it worked out.

I have been watching this thread and a couple others very closely. I am VERY curious on how to prop my new MXZ when she arrives beginning of July. I ordered the LSA in that boat, factory prop options are very limited, so i went with 15x14 (2247). I am thinking i will need a bit more pitch, 15" is all the diameter the BU will accommodate.

Edited by DarkSide