Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Wiring Questions?

First off, I am very new at this but I suspect something is not right. Opinions are greatly appreciated.

1. I have 2015 vlx with two batteries. A deep cycle and a cold cranking. Which one is each used for? I am assuming that the cold cranking is the engine and the deep cycle is the house.

2. The only + line that goes from the cranking to the battery switch is on the common.

3. On the 2 switch I have + stereo, a line that runs to the driver side, and a big 2/0 AWG that appears to run to the engine.

4. The + on the 1 switch goes directly to the deep cycle battery.

5. The - from the engine terminates on the deep cycle. The - stereo and driver line terminate on cold cranking battery. There is also a - line that connects the two batteries.

From what I have read the engine and house should be separate, but I am really confused with what is going on.

The only reason I suspected something is because the terminals on the deep cycle were never tightened and had completely come off.

Is your 2015 outfitted with an ACR and an OFF/ON/Combine switch or just the 1/2/BOTH/OFF switch? huge difference in how they are wired. Neither battery should be wired to a common posts of the switch. Can you verify if the switch has 3 or 4 threaded posts.

Dont worry too much on the ground cables since the boat technically has a single ground reference, the engine block.

You wont have an ACR with a 3 stud OFF/1/2/BOTH switch. Its certainly possible that the switch an batteries are wired incorrectly. The only cables wired to the battery B+ studs/posts, would be the cable leading to the switch. The auto bilge should be battery direct, but I think Bu is still wiring it to the boat side of the switch. ALL loads, such as stereo, will be wired to the "C" post of the switch. The cables from the batts will be terminated to the "1" and "2" posts.

1) cranking battery is for cranking engine, deep cycle is for house

2) that's right

3) seems wrong I would run everything that needs power to the common, the 1 and the 2 go to each respective battery. With your set up as described can you operate the stereo when the switch is on (1)?

4) this is ok

5) this is ok

When sitting with engine off and stereo on keep switch on the deep cycle, in fact leave it on the deep cycle unless it won't crank, then flip it to the craning battery to start and back to the deep cycle to charge

6) never ever turn switch off when engine is running

This is how I run my vintage SSLXI with no issues. Search for the blue sea solution if you Want to wire it so you never have to switch or worry about this again.

1) cranking battery is for cranking engine, deep cycle is for house

2) that's right

3) seems wrong I would run everything that needs power to the common, the 1 and the 2 go to each respective battery. With your set up as described can you operate the stereo when the switch is on (1)?

4) this is ok

5) this is ok

When sitting with engine off and stereo on keep switch on the deep cycle, in fact leave it on the deep cycle unless it won't crank, then flip it to the craning battery to start and back to the deep cycle to charge

6) never ever turn switch off when engine is running

This is how I run my vintage SSLXI with no issues. Search for the blue sea solution if you Want to wire it so you never have to switch or worry about this again.

If the switch is on 1, the stereo will run fine. My mind says that it shouldn't because stereo is on the 2 thread. Doesn't make sense.

Should I move the stereo and driver's side cable to the common or to the 1 thread? Should I move the cold cranking cable to the #2 switch that has the engine cable already on it? What is the common thread exactly used for?

My limited understanding: the common powers things, the cable from the one switch goes to the first battery (call it cranking) the second cable goes to the other battery (call it deep cycle). When the battery switch is set to one all is running off the cranking battery when it's set to 2 all is running off the deep cycle battery.

Shawndoggy is the crew internet electrician, so let's see what he says.

If the switch is on 1, the stereo will run fine. My mind says that it shouldn't because stereo is on the 2 thread. Doesn't make sense.

Should I move the stereo and driver's side cable to the common or to the 1 thread? Should I move the cold cranking cable to the #2 switch that has the engine cable already on it? What is the common thread exactly used for?

If thats the case, then the switch is not wired in the best way

Doesn't Sound right. This is what I should do.

1. #1 switch will be direct to deep cycle

2. #2 switch will be to cold cranking

3. I will place the engine, stereo, and maliview/mtc leads all on the common thread.

So, just to make sure I am doing this right, I should have the switch on both (1+2) when out on the boat and starting. When anchored and relaxing with the engine off and stereo on, I turn the switch to #1.