Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying a Salt water boat to freshwater?

Lakemartin

2013 with 44 hours corvette ls3 motor I have the spec sheet but don't know how to upload a pic. Don't know of any documented maintenance. The spec sheet said salt water resistance package with transom flush kit

Just look it over for salt damage (pitting and rust). If you don't see any then don't worry about it. My Bu has seen salt water plenty of times. I just make sure I do a good flush and wash each time.

• Like 2

My buddy just bought a salt water boat with very low hours and the engine belt pullies had to be replaced from rust damage. Other than that all was good. I would not worry just check it out good.

Sent into space with tapatalk

Plus you should be able to use saltwater use as an excuse to get a better price as lots of buyers are fearful of a saltwater boat. Don't forget to give the trailer a thorough once over since I'm assuming its not galvanized... You may want to wash it really well with a product like salt away and then watch closely for rust if you end up buying the boat.

If it looks clean buy it! The places you WILL find rust are the engine mounts and whatever bolts that aren't stainless. I have a salt water boat that is 50/50 between salt and fresh, You wouldn't ever know.

surface rust on engine mounts is nothing to worry about. I sprayed some rust converter with a coat of paint to seal them up.

If its a factory salt package, the trailer should be galvanized, it could be painted over galvanized.

If you do buy, go through the entire boat and replace any rusted hose clamps. They use some cheap SS hose clamps that still happen to rust.

I wish I could show yall a pic of something

Upload to a pic hosting site then paste the link here

Edited by NCVride

That boat is sweet, but the bottom paint would be a deal breaker for me and will hurt your resale. If you can live with it, it has everything else you would ever want. I wouldn't worry about the salt as long as you don't see pitting and oxidation like other have said.