Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

lemon?

usualsuspect355

Given the first post it sounds like its because he hasn't gotten a replacement boat?

I'm unclear on if/when that was requested. On engine number 2? After the scratch in the floor?

I'm concluding they have no interest in my story. I only joined to let it be known my difficulty with malibu, evidently they only want positive stories. In other words they want the next 'me' to be as shocked as I was at how my boat held up.

One thing you should be clear about is that this site is not run by nor is it for the benefit of Malibu. Some members drink a lot of the Malibu punch, but mostly we're just a bunch of helpful folk trying to learn things from each other.

So back on topic (a rarity for me), I bought a 1999 boat with 155 hours on it a year and a half ago. I put 30 hours on it last year, for a total of 185 hours over 16 years. Did I buy a lemon, too? I ask because you seem to think that 120 hours over three years is barely using it.

I had to add fresh water cooling and change all of my exhaust and fuel hoses because they were cracking. Maybe it *is* a lemon!

I'm unclear on if/when that was requested. On engine number 2? After the scratch in the floor?

To the contrary, it sounds more like he specifically didn't want another boat, because his wouldn't be one-of-a-kind any more.

To the contrary, it sounds more like he specifically didn't want another boat, because his wouldn't be one-of-a-kind any more.

Ranger has been selling that gel scheme for years :)
  • Like 3
ahopkins22LSV

So, I work in a manufacturing career that buys LOTS of components/parts from Tier II/III suppliers. We are Tier I so we assemble those parts and then sell them to the OEM. We are responsible for the final ship item. When the customer has an issues, it is our issue. We replace the unit. We obviously feed the issue back to the supplier if it is a supplier issue. This is how I would imagine the business agreement is with Indmar And Malibu. Malibu did what they should have with the engine(s) imo.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

So to build on my last post I did go through a similar situation. 1.7 hours into owning a new response, the transmission seized. I was mad but the dealer replaced under warranty in less than a week. Figured that was pretty dang good and went on with boat ownership through the summer. Put another 57 hours on the boat, had a second trans fail and the engine blew. I won't lie, I was very mad and started a thread here venting the situation. Malibu was just going to replace the drivetrain under warranty. I was not okay with that answer and told our dealer that we want a new boat. They made it happen for us. So my point is that we requested the new boat. Malibu nor our dealer offered it. And in reality they don't have to. Obviously we are now very happy with both the dealer and Malibu. The differences I see in your situation to mine is that we did this immediately and only took the boat back after the first trans failure, not the second trans/engine failure. You have the right to be mad as I was too. Not sure what your options are at this point though

We tried to go that route exactly. Again we were told by dealer if we wanted to fight for a new boat replacement they would back my history of problems but it would be me dealing with malibu. From what everyone said in forums it would at best probably get me boat value from malibu. At 75 hrs that seemed like I would financially not be able to afford another 10k in 1 summer for buying another boat.

Talking to malibu isn't as easy as everyone makes it out to be. Maybe things have changed but all I could get was a response to see my local dealer.

Talking to malibu isn't as easy as everyone makes it out to be. Maybe things have changed but all I could get was a response to see my local dealer.

Same response I got when I had so many warranty issues with my LSV. Customer service acted like they were concerned and no one ever called me back

My dealer drove to Tennessee to get 2nd new engine so I didn't miss anymore lake time. By end of summer I put 40 hrs on a brand new 23' loaner. They definitely lost their profit from my sale.

Google review on Arrowhead? Just a thought, however it sounds like you are related to just about everyone in the shop, which makes this transaction all the more complicated? I am sure your friends are just delighted with how things turned out, potentially pawning off shop errors on the manu? This thread is pointless unless Bob Barker pops out behind a curtain with a new boat for you.

Review latest: "I sincerely ask that you never purchase a boat from this dealer."

Edited by Sride

I have heard several deals fall thru like that with them. Sometimes think they are spread out too much and get in over their head with sales. Having a friend that is a salesman there and knowing a mechanic thru flight school wouldn't make us family but I've spent enough time there I might as well be now.

I get how everyone gets skeptical of the OP coming in here and starting with this thread, but cut the guy some slack. It's fair to ask the questions everyone is asking, but why assume the OP is guilty without getting the story first? There has been much talk in the last few years of Malibu's decline in QA/QC on these forums and then at times everyone is so quick to defend Malibu in these situations. I'm sure there is fault at many levels as has been pointed out before, but I'm with Doc on this - those of you that are fortunate enough to have new boats spend what some houses cost in my area on them. Why wouldn't you expect superior craftsmanship and QA/QC?

Also, this seems like a winter time thread - isn't riding season here? I thought we'd all be too busy on the water to get to 9 pages this fast. lol

• Like 3

There should be no cosmetic problems that come from replacing an engine. If there is, that's a dealer issue. All that's required to change an engine is to remove nuts holding the interior in place, bolts that hold the hatch superstructure, and unbolt the engine from the stringers.

We all know you leg hump your dealer weekly but this is the trash many other owners have to deal with.

I got served up this crap of a service call a few years back from Wilson Watersports under Mr. Awesome himself's coordination, Blake Moore, Jackie Springer's go to Bro.

post-15240-14319988758178_thumb.jpg

His wife handed me the shipping label off the crate the tranny was shipped in bulk freight as my service record!

Broken and stripped off bolts, on support structures, that stripped out the one bolt be managed to get right from being over stressed.... not replaced bolts and a pinched CAN cable killing most of the electrics- blower, lights, wedge etc cable HE did and refused to make things right after a tranny swap hack job.

So ya, other than that, major boat repairs are awesome. Unless it's you with your dealer 85.

What's your point Ryan? You had a bad dealer? I have a good dealer? Cool. Right on both. Neither of which has anything to do with op's gripes. If there is interior issues after it was taken apart he should be bothered. But that's a dealer issue.

We all know you leg hump your dealer weekly but this is the trash many other owners have to deal with.

I got served up this crap of a service call a few years back from Wilson Watersports under Mr. Awesome himself's coordination, Blake Moore, Jackie Springer's go to Bro.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1431998875.950640.jpg

His wife handed me the shipping label off the crate the tranny was shipped in bulk freight as my service record!

Broken and stripped off bolts, on support structures, that stripped out the one bolt be managed to get right from being over stressed.... not replaced bolts and a pinched CAN cable killing most of the electrics- blower, lights, wedge etc cable HE did and refused to make things right after a tranny swap hack job.

So ya, other than that, major boat repairs are awesome. Unless it's you with your dealer 85.

Blake hasn't been with 'bu for a while now.

• 10 months later...

Here's my take on the issue:  The OP said that the dealer mechanic is his buddy - perhaps he's looking to blame Malibu instead of his buddy.  Sounds to me like your anger should be directed more at your dealer.  I can totally understand why Malibu doesn't answer customer calls...that's why they have dealers.   Also, indmar has done great by sending 2 new engines.  The floor crack sucks, but it appears to only be cosmetic at this point and can be repaired.  Nuts and bolts come loose, it happens on boats (just like an RV) - you tighten them and move on.  

Not calling OP lazy, just saying that maybe he is a little naive.  All boats have problems and boat ownership requires us to be a little more hands on with regard to upkeep and maintenance.

Finally, posting Ronnie's private message publicly on the forum just shows a lack of class.

• 1 month later...

Lake season has arrived, and back in the shop is the boat. Took it out for 1st time this year and the touchscreen no longer works on the dash. Dropped it off with dealer and now they are telling me the throttle is stuck.  Guess this is normal boat problems right???

11 hours ago, usualsuspect355 said:

Lake season has arrived, and back in the shop is the boat. Took it out for 1st time this year and the touchscreen no longer works on the dash. Dropped it off with dealer and now they are telling me the throttle is stuck.  Guess this is normal boat problems right???

Sorry your troubles continue...   I would not tell you what to do but,  if it were me I would be cutting bait at this point.  Even with the best makes and models there is bound to be a "bad" one.   I remember a few years back my BMW dealer told me about a new 7 series they bought back from the owner.  That particular one was just plagued with issues.   I have bought and sold over 25+ new vehicles in my lifetime so far and several were just not as good as the rest.  Let it go.  Life is too short. 

Seems to me you have lost confidence in the boat.  You are not going to be happy going out on the water if you worrying about the boat all the time.  Either work with Malibu and your dealer to get another or move on if you cannot trust Malibu.  I like Malibu and would hope you give them another chance.  If not Mastercraft and Nautique make fine boats too.   Good luck on what ever you decide.  

• Like 3

Suspect, is your dealer taking care of you on the issues? Quick turn arounds, best he can?

If you are getting good service... It's hard to gripe. It's when you get a QAQC trainwreck and sloppy customer service where things really go bad.