Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

lemon?

usualsuspect355

Has the 410 indmar. Only lost 2 engines, 3rd seems to be good but then again only has 120 hrs on it. Great lake, Corp does what they can to limit fun but but beautiful area.

the 1st engine would do 5-10 mph faster than the next 2. Not that bu was to blame for the loss but losing speed wasn't direction I wanted to go.

Was my 1st day on the water alone in the new boat. Should point out I'm not counting time getting everything ready at ramp dock, had worried they would say boat didn't get proper time to warm up or something but that never was an issue.

Nothing like sitting in the middle of the lake in your new silver flake malibu that is putting up a tower of smoke overhead. Only boat in distance was a cobalt which I wish I could have seen the registration #'s b/c they never came to offer help. I eventually floated into area with trees b4 a buddy could arrive .

Time to warm up? The engine is controlled by an ECM system.

If the ECT or CHT sensors sends a stage 2 voltage to the ECM, the following sequence is followed:

1. Audible Warning Signal Activate

2. Lamp Signal Activate

3. Disable Adaptive Fueling Program

4. Escalate to Power De-rate Level 2

5. Execute Force Idle (Limp) and/or Engine Shutdown

This is all after a de-rate of 1/2 for stage 1.

Edited by Sride

I was probably idling for 5 minutes or so, then went slow out of a short no wake area. Dealer did test and I had been out 3 or 4 times without engine failure. All the wiring around engine and the paint was what caused so much smoke. I thought I had done something horribly wrong but it was deemed completely random by malibu.

Edited by usualsuspect355

I will admit I had music up but the 1st engine died about 30 seconds into day. the hose for the exhaust came unhooked and overheated. Engine sensors didn't register til too late they said

I'm interested in the concept that 'the hose for the exhaust came unhooked' (post #18) causes an engine catastrophic overheat. Generally, in my experience, the water that is directed to the exhaust has finished its work cooling the engine and this water is simply now on its way back to the lake and cools the exhaust on the way.

I can see how this results in very hot exhausts and potential to damage adjacent wiring, hoses etc but can't imagine how it deprives the engine of coolant...

Alternatively, it is known that the raw water pump does not always prime at idle speed after initial startup and protracted idling with no raw water delivery could eventually result in overheating.

• Like 3

The hose was from what I understood was for water to the exhaust manifold area for cooling. They thought the engine was ok other than cosmetic and wiring, sadly it wasnt. After several wks I got boat back only to have it shut down every 10 secs because of sensor warnings or some internal protection. They then tore engine apart and discovered needed replaced. My knowledge on engines etc is limited so don't get to caught up on my analysis.

The hose was from what I understood was for water to the exhaust manifold area for cooling. They thought the engine was ok other than cosmetic and wiring, sadly it wasnt. After several wks I got boat back only to have it shut down every 10 secs because of sensor warnings or some internal protection. They then tore engine apart and discovered needed replaced. My knowledge on engines etc is limited so don't get to caught up on my analysis.

Sounds like they decided it was just easier to swap the whole thing out rather than chase electrical gremlins.

Fair enough. I'm sure they didn't replace the engine for no good reason!

The engine that failed a piston or rod is most unlikely to have had anything to do with your particular boat and would have lunched itself in whatever boat it may have found itself in so not likely a real contributor to your possible 'lemon' status.

Very sorry you've had so much trouble with your boat. Mine has been fabulous...

Edited by GreenMan

From my research I never quite met the lemon law requirements. I just felt like if it was a product I had sold and it seemed to be falling apart time after time maybe I would want to get it out of circulation. I now realize I should have been more demanding.

From my research I never quite met the lemon law requirements. I just felt like if it was a product I had sold and it seemed to be falling apart time after time maybe I would want to get it out of circulation. I now realize I should have been more demanding.

I understand that most people on this site will kind of discourage you from making some noise but why should you? It is your boat, not theirs. No one here knows what trouble you have gone through.

It is your opinion. If you feel that you were wronged then raise hell man. Call and email Malibu directly. Make some noise.

If it were me, I would probably have a new boat by now. But then again, I am a PITA customer.

Thanks for understanding, funny how I put more hrs on a dealer boat the 1st summer than my own new purchase. If the dealer hadn't been so cooperative I would have been sitting in Tennessee in Malibu parking lot waiting for answer. Instead I was too busy enjoying the water in dealer boat thinking Malibu would make things right on mine. I'm now concluding mine never had a chance to be right after it left factory day 1.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I may have missed something, but if the dealer has been working with you through all of the previous issues, what makes you want to go a different route now? Why not continue to work with them so they can make it right?

Would you purchase my boat used at a price that doesn't reflect all the problems it has had? I assume not, be crazy if you did. The boat is cursed it seems, some might call that a lemon if it started directly out of the factory. Others probably would say you bought a bad product, curious what Malibu thinks.

Would you purchase my boat used at a price that doesn't reflect all the problems it has had? I assume not, be crazy if you did. The boat is cursed it seems, some might call that a lemon if it started directly out of the factory. Others probably would say you bought a bad product, curious what Malibu thinks.

Wouldn't phase me a bit to buy a boat that had a brand new motor put in it.

so aside from the engine issues (not insignificant, but not really malibu's "fault" either... they buy powertrains from Indmar) there's a hairline crack in the gel and a bilge pump went out? Those don't sound like "end of the world" issues to me.

The engine / reliability stuff tho... I get that.

Sub, ignition, 1 side of cup holders, 1 seat, 2 side cushions coming off fiberglass, 2 engines, tower raised 1 inch off fiberglass, etc all in 1st summer from factory. Didn't know I was buying Bayliner quality at cobalt price.

1 that ruined 2 in 3 months as well as numerous other issues, wow.

The boat does not ruin an engine, the hull is not haunted. While the engine issues sound bad, there is nothing about the hull that is going to make the next engine throw a rod or overheat. Loose screws are a fact of life on a boat, first thing every season is to go through and nut and bolt the boat, vibration loosens stuff no matter how well you build.

Sub, ignition, 1 side of cup holders, 1 seat, 2 side cushions coming off fiberglass, 2 engines, tower raised 1 inch off fiberglass, etc all in 1st summer from factory. Didn't know I was buying Bayliner quality at cobalt price.

This is all stuff from 3 years ago that was corrected - correct? Current issues are loose screws, likely a loose wire on the sub and maybe a bilge pump that went out?

1) Tighten screws

2) Check sub wires

3) Check bilge pump to see if there is a piece of debris from the bilge jamming it or if it is actually dead.