Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

lemon?

usualsuspect355

Starting to question craftsmanship. If that's not a common problem for bu owners then what's it take to get Malibu to offer a new boat. My boat is 4 yrs old but will only be 3rd summer to use. I won't even list all the minor problems it has had (sub, tower loose, ignition etc) but rather just the significant. In the 1st summer i had 2 engines fail and need warranty replacement. Today, 2nd time out this year, I suddenly find a hairline crack between drivers seat and port side bench seat in the fiberglass floor. Wondering if it's time to contact an attorney rather than bother the dealer again. The dealer has remained patient with me but I know they are frustrated. Any1 have any advice? Love the boat design, don't get me wrong.

Edited by usualsuspect355

Just joined and first post. Sorry but that does loose a little credibility. Like Doc asked, did you buy the boat new? What caused the engine failures? If the dealers is making repairs and working with you why would you need an attorney?

I'm not necessarily questioning credibility, just trying to gather more details. I am not sure if that would be covered under the hull warranty. I doubt it.

I will give him that 2 engine failures in 3 summers is pretty nuts.

I would like some more information on what happened with those.

As always, the devil is in the details. A lot of good knowledge on this site but you will have to expand your story so we can possibly help

Edited by DocPhil

I don't think there are 'lemon laws' that you may associate with automobiles in the boating industry.

Malibu does not manufacture engines...even without details I don't see how two engines failing is their problem.

Minor Problems are common to boats in general and to my knowledge have never resulted in someone getting a new boat.

Hairline crack in fiberglass floor would not warrant a new boat.

I don't think an attorney will do anything for you....but I could be wrong. Call some and let us know wht they say.

It also depends on how much your dealer will go to bat for you.

I know personally of individuals on this site that have gotten trade in value equal to what they paid on a new boat for much less than has happened to the OP

• Like 2

It also depends on how much your dealer will go to bat for you.

I know personally of individuals on this site that have gotten trade in value equal to what they paid on a new boat for much less than has happened to the OP

Not going to happen on a 4 year old boat.

The 1st engine was a hose coming off and cooked engine at 24 hrs. 2nd was a rod or piston at 75 hrs. Ordered custom from factory and had 3rd engine installed less than 3 months into owning her. The boat has numerous interior issues with screws stripped from replacing 2 engines. Dealer felt I should have received new boat but they were at Malibu mercy. Said they would b willing to stand behind my decision. Seeing the crack across the floor today and finding the bilge no longer works has me fed up. Boat will have less than 200 hrs total and has been in for nonstop issues. Day 1 taking boat out found sub not working, ignition sticking, and all the screws came out of center window. Feel like I'm forgetting some things that day. Should have known right then this was going to be a difficult relationship.

Maybe just posting my story on forums will get someone's attention, spending 85k on a boat has to buy better craftsmanship than this nightmare.

Nothing to do with credibility, but your first post just seemed like you came here to complain. If I were in your shoes I'd probably be mad too, but there are two sides to every story. What were you looking to get out of this thread? Legal advice?

Edit, you posted again before my response. Doubt your thread will stop any one from buying a malibu...

Edited by Pnwrider

So their floors regularly crack within a few years?? That gives me new sense of confidence in their product. Maybe just posting my story on forums will get someone's attention, spending 85k on a boat has to buy better craftsmanship than this nightmare.

Just an idea of how their boat holds up. This has become embarrassing to own. Sorry for duplicate. Thought it didn't post.

When your hose came did you have any alarms? I sucked up a plant last summer and it sounded like an air raid was coming. I shut it down and had no damage. I have heard of people who crank their stereos and can't hear the warning at idle.

Edited by Dodger40

Maybe just posting my story on forums will get someone's attention, spending 85k on a boat has to buy better craftsmanship than this nightmare.

Oh complain enough and you will get someone's attention.

We can name this thread "lemon gate"

• Like 2

If my truck had lost 2 engines in 3 months I hope ford would have considered the truck somewhat unique for their product and done something more than just keep putting a new engine in. At this point my dealership has redone half of the manufacturing it feels, now it seems like day by day the other half is falling apart.

I will admit I had music up but the 1st engine died about 30 seconds into day. the hose for the exhaust came unhooked and overheated. Engine sensors didn't register til too late they said

So their floors regularly crack within a few years?? That gives me new sense of confidence in their product. Maybe just posting my story on forums will get someone's attention, spending 85k on a boat has to buy better craftsmanship than this nightmare.

Stress cracks in the gel of boat floors are not all that unusual. It's just the gel, not structural.

As for the engines, bad luck I guess. Not sure I buy overheating and destroying a motor in 30 seconds.

My point exactly, it sure seemed odd. Trust me, I made it from ramp to middle of channel and that was the end of the day. 30 seconds might be longer than actual.

Can you post pictures of the stress cracks? Where do you boat? Is it a rough lake? With semi flat bottoms Malibu's don't do well in rough water. Not saying it is ok to stress crack, just curious what the conditions were.

I will post some pictures tomorrow morning, didn't get any while out today. Beaver lake in Arkansas, far from rough.

Wow, that looks like a cool lake. It must be super clean to offer scuba diving.

I am so sorry you had such bad luck. I have 290 hours on my VLX and it has been great. Nothing worse than being excited for a day of fun and your boat breaks down.

To loose 3 engines is really bad. It makes you wonder if you were sent new motors, or "remanufactured" ones. I am guessing yours was a 350 monsoon?