Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Marine Stereo to buy?

kayakwv

Have to replace my head unit in my 2005 VLX. Just looking for a media player for iPods with Bluetooth and radio. I've got a Kicker Amp and Sub, with Rev 10's. I think my original receiver was a Sony Xplod.

What are my options? Was wanting an Alpine, can't find one online since they are discontinuing.

My local stereo shop has only these two options:

Kenwood KMR-M312BT

Sony DSX-M50BT

...or I could buy online.

What are your opinions?

-thanks.

PS: I think I might move the new unit from the arm rest to left side under the dash, and put a phone pocket under the arm rest. Opinions?

Edited by kayakwv

Why not just go with a ZLD or WS420-BT EQ as your head unit, you get the zone control and can bypass the head unit entirely. They both have line-in, and BT capabilities

They are lower profile and will mount up fairly flush to the helm

Edited by Stevo

Definitely considering running just an equalizer only like the 420. I will say I am still kinda used to the "visual" component of seeing the digital displays of volume and radio station of a traditional head unit. Plus we do use the local radio stations quite a bit, which aren't always streaming.

I do like having a good stereo, but haven't put a lot of $$ into it, since it's not as high a priority as the surf wave for me.

But my current head unit is shot, so I've got to pull the trigger on something soon, so we have some tunes in the boat for summer.

what were you gonna spend on a HU? i kinda see it is a 2-for -1 in your case getting the functionality of a HU, and Gaining an EQ for zone control for those REV'S (except loosing the local radio)

Pioneer has a non-marine digital media receiver for around $130. I'm curious how vital marine grade is with something as ample as a media player.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pPlIg2d2VV1/p_158MEXM70B/Sony-MEX-M70BT.html

That is what I just replaced my stolen head unit with. It's modeled after specs Earmark originally recommended for my mid-level stereo build. 3 pre-outs for tower, cabin, and sub amplifiers with 5V each. The rear USB input actually has an extension built in, so I'm able to run the USB from the back of the unit near the dash, and plug my iphone in there. That was a nice little touch which kept the front USB free and didn't require a longer iphone cable just to get to the back of the head unit.

Any experience or opinions on the Kenwood kmr 312BT?

with EQ, that's a fine HU. Without EQ, I'd spend the extra $50 for the one hethj7 linked because it has 5v preouts vs 2.5v (if you use eq, you get benefit of EQ's stepped up voltage, generally in the 7v-ish range).

Tow it to my house and I will install EQ and HU for $999!

I went with the WS-420BT and I'm throwing in this head unit for cheap just to get AM/FM and weather band radio

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMR87WB-IN-Dash-Weatherband-Function/dp/B004HJ5B7W

This is exactly what I would do. Get the ZLD or 420 and a cheap HU for over the air radio.

I'd leave it under the arm rest since it will rarely be used with BT on the EQ.

All I had was the Sony Xplod HU, so to replace it with a $125 or so HU is probably all I need. But I wanted to look at all my options before installing anything. The Wetsounds 420bT looks pretty awesome.

So would it be overkill to have a HU like the Kenwood as well as an EQ like Wetsounds 420BT? Loaded question I know! I'm an admitted novice on the stereo issues. Lol.

All I had was the Sony Xplod HU, so to replace it with a $125 or so HU is probably all I need. But I wanted to look at all my options before installing anything. The Wetsounds 420bT looks pretty awesome.

So would it be overkill to have a HU like the Kenwood as well as an EQ like Wetsounds 420BT? Loaded question I know! I'm an admitted novice on the stereo issues. Lol.

No not overkill, if you use regular FM radio. If the radio has bluetooth, though, you don't really need the 420BT. Just use the regular 420SQ and the HU's BT.