Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

On Board Charger

I am thinking about adding a 2nd battery. I am planning on going with Blue Seas battery switch and ACR, wired like the attached diagram (thanks shawndoggy).

My current battery is an EverStart MAX-29DC and I my 2nd battery will probably be the same unless you guys know some reason I shouldn't do that.

I am trying to decide what on board battery charger to add. I am thinking about ProMariner ProSport 8, but I have 2 concerns:

1. Is 8amps enough? I will almost always have +16 hours of charging time between uses (typically it will be days), and I do not expect to be fully depleting the batteries.

2. Is there a better charger in terms quality/value I should be looking at instead?

Also my objective is to have a set up that only requires plugging an extension cord into a charger. Not having to disconnect batteries and connect a charger to the batteries. I think the ProMariner ProSport series will work for that, correct?

post-28780-0-96587900-1431718527_thumb.j

I just ordered ProMariner ProSport 20 Generation 3 20 Amp, 12/24 Volt, 2 Bank 3 Battery Charger -

For me I went based on recommendations from some neighbors/friends who have used this setup - But I may very well spent 8-12 hours a day on the lake, and my batteries will not get fully charged if I'm anchored out with lights/music running.

I have the 20 amp pro mariner 2 bank. I looked at the 8 amp and it was slightly smaller and a few dollars less. It probably would be fine.

Yes you will permanently connect the charger to both batteries and just plug in the AC outlet when you want to charge.

I am thinking of installing this outlet to the hull.

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-Genius-GCP1-Black-125V/dp/B009ANV81S

Any thoughts?

Yeah I am sure I will not miss the extra $30 when I am trying to charge the batteries quickly, and the size/weight increase probably doesn't matter much since it will be mounted to the wall of the locker.

Any thoughts?

I always hate cutting holes in the boat, and for me it will not be a big deal to plug it up in the locker. But it would be a pretty cool feature, and if you can plug it in without having to get in the boat I can see how it would be convenient.

I've had the Guest 10 amp, dual bank charger for like 6 or 7 years & never had any battery issues. I plug it in when the boat is near the house, but it'll be on the water for weeks or months at a time in the summer.

Any thoughts?

Besides the hole in your boat, you'll probably need a hole in your cover too. No obvious gain for me so I'll pass.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I have had a pro-mariner on board for 5-6 years now. When I had a slip it was great, I would plug it in after every weekend. I actually bought mine at Bass Pro - they run them on sale about 1x a year, was cheaper than any online price I could find. It is an older model, 2 bank, 12 amp.

Note that once a battery is dead the charger has a really tough time bringing it back. It really is designed to maintain batteries, not charge dead ones.