Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need advice on how to get to the packing nut! (pics)

So I'm trying to replace the packing and I read I needed two wrenches. I get in there and the packing nut is what I expected but the backing "nut" has a round shape, not a hex. How can I hold onto this while trying to turn the packing nut?? That round piece is just strapped to a rubber hose so it is loose and just starts to turn with the packing nut!

Okay, can someone tell me how to add pictures without using a site like photobucket?

Thanks!!

If you are a CrewSupporter (paid membership worth every penny), then you can attach pictures directly. You get MalibuCrew discounts with a paid membership.

Perhaps use a large pipe wrench or Channel Locks (slip pliers)

Edited by DIE2SURF

So I'm trying to replace the packing and I read I needed two wrenches. I get in there and the packing nut is what I expected but the backing "nut" has a round shape, not a hex. How can I hold onto this while trying to turn the packing nut?? That round piece is just strapped to a rubber hose so it is loose and just starts to turn with the packing nut!

Okay, can someone tell me how to add pictures without using a site like photobucket?

Thanks!!

sounds to me like you have a dripless packing setup (probably OJ), not a traditional packing nut. You don't have any packing to replace.

Die2surf ....THANK YOU. That picture makes it so clear. haha I didn't realize that thin piece was a separate nut. I don't have a proper wrench as of now though. I'm using a way too long slip nut wrench from lowes.

Edited by thomasjg23

No prob. That link in my previous post is the full write-up on it. It's gold.

If you can see and have access to the Resources tab on this site, click on Articles and on page two is a write-up entitled Shaft Packing Replacement. Many more steps and pics there as well.

Edited by DIE2SURF

Shawndoggy is right, those wrenches are great...as long as they are the correct size. I bought them, and they ended up being too small for my '98 Echelon. They didn't fit onto the stuffing box nut OR the thin backing nut. I was bummed... ended up using two very large slip wrenches.

Yeah, I'm looking at using two very large slip wrenches tonight... I'll update everyone on how it goes! (I don't even know if I got the proper width packing, I guessed at 3/16)

I tried the slip nut wrenches, gave up & ordered the blue wrench, so much easier! Especially since you want to be adjusting on the water. I also found the big nut does not need to be tightened very much to slow the drip, 1/4 turns gets it done.

I don't have a lot of fabrication equipment, but I cut some thin steel the shape/size I needed (like the open end of a wrench) then stacked several pieces together, welded them together (laminated), then welded an old socket to them to make a couple of crows feet...worked great and a couple of people on here have used those wrenches as well.

Irwin vice grip wrenches! I keep two in my boat at all times. They make one that has an angled mouth that is designed for hex nuts and bolts. They fit the packing nuts very well, but are also handy to keep in the boat for other stuff too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So quick update/question! I'm not seeing ANY drip. I know the packaging says virtually dripless but I feel like there should be at least one/minute! Install was easier than I thought once I got the nut off, Now that it is on I hand tighten it all the way and there are no drips. I feel like any looser than hand tight would be a bad thing! The nut is definitely getting hot. It isn't steaming but it is hot to the touch! Opinions??

Thanks guys!

How much packing did you put in? If memory serves it should just be enough to make a circle around the shaft. Not overlap.

Did you get all the old packing out?

That's why it has a jam nut. You should be able to adjust the packing nut and lock it with the jam nut so that it isn't hand tight any more. Back it off until it either runs slightly warm or until you see the 6-10 drips per minute in gear, then lock it with the jam nut. It may take a few iterations to zero in on getting both nuts just right.

Once you get the nuts jammed together, you can bump both at the same time with your wrench to make fine adjustments. Bump the packing nut tighter to cause fewer drips, and bump the jam nut looser to cause more drips. This will help set the jam nut at the same time you are getting the drips (or heat) just right).

Mine runs barely warm but hardly ever drips. YMMV.

So, I wanted to adjust the drip rate on my VTX to lessen the drip rate.(current 1 drip -2 seconds, would like 1 every 10 seconds) Obviously we have a V Drive and nuts are tough to get to. Trying to confirm the nut is 2" Not the 1 7/8" wrench Bakes sells ? Have adjusted in the past w shorty wrench I had but it has been lost or misplaced and getting a pipe wrench ect... in there is rough. Any tips appreciated (sorry for hi jack)