Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to us 2014 VTX

14VTX

We just upgraded from our '98 Sunsetter after many years of great service to a '14 VTX. I am a little intimidated by all the technology but I will get there. We are going our surfing for the first time this weekend. Previously we were primarily a ski and wakeboard family.

How should we set up to surf for the first time? Wedge all the way down and adjust from there? And the surf gate tab should be extended on the opposite side of the boat where the surfer is going to start?

Really excited about the new boat.

I'd assume that to surf the first time that you would just hit the surf preset for the side you want and start there. It'll have ballast setting, speed, wedge and should have surfgate settings.

Edited by oldjeep

Agree with oldjeep, use the presets in the menu and it will get you started. There will be a "surf left" and a "surf right" in the default presets. They work surprisingly well and take care of everything for you (wedge, ballast and surf gate).

Congrats! You got a fun summer ahead.

The preset advvice is solid. You'll probably want the wedge a click or two up.

My advice is to go ahead and get 4x 400 lb sacks. 2 for PnP, one in the walkway, one in the bow. You'll be glad you did and it will save a lot of frustration for new folks trying to drop the rope. Regular side wave is pretty squishy with stock only.

Agreed with the preset advice. Definitely a click or 2 up on the wedge and fill the front ballast (if you have it) as it's not on the preset

Congrats! You got a fun summer ahead.

The preset advvice is solid. You'll probably want the wedge a click or two up.

My advice is to go ahead and get 4x 400 lb sacks. 2 for PnP, one in the walkway, one in the bow. You'll be glad you did and it will save a lot of frustration for new folks trying to drop the rope. Regular side wave is pretty squishy with stock only.

I'm still trying to dial in my surf wave also. 1250 lbs. stock ballast, pnp 450's in each locker. Based on the above are you suggesting another 400 in the walkway and 400 in the bow?

I need heavier friends....

Presets work well, but definitely need weight in the bow, even with bow tank, otherwise you'll never plane out. I have the tank and usually put another 200-300 lb bag up front. Much more and you'll constantly dip the bow (maybe it is just my driving). Another bag in the walkway or even against the seats on your surfside helps too, but not necessary. 10.8 is my speed, 0-2 clicks up depending on size of surfer. Anything more wedge washes the wake out. Sometimes I lighten up the non-surf side back pnp back (I have the 550 bags), but not sure if that actually helps or not.

The presets are terrible. make your own

10.8 to 11 mph. Full MLS , I have 600lbs in both lockers, wedge 1 click up, 600lbs in the bow. I can also add a 540lbs bag in the cabin if my crew is light.

Edited by Chrisjjbrown

I don't mean to highjack the thread but I've been wondering about surfing with current on the river. If I'm going up river against a 2.5-3 mph current do I set the speed at 8.4-8.6? What about down? Am I over thinking this?

I got a "Max current draw" warning once from going too fast against the current, I think.

I would think the opposite. The paddle wheel will give your speed relative to the water, regardless of current. The gps will read relative to stationary land, it will read you are going faster with the current, if you are going 20 with a 5mph current the gps will read 25mph.

Thanks, sounds like I will start with the presets then play with it from there. Working on uploading a pic. We were hoping to get out this morning but it is raining.

If new to surfing, always turn away from the wave after you cut throttle. Example your rider is regular, when they fall cut throttle and turn to right, if they are goofy turn left. This keeps you from fighting your own wave, something you never had to worry about with wakeboarding as wake was same on both sides. This will keep the bow of your new BU much drier. Have fun and +1 on adding more weight.

I'm still trying to dial in my surf wave also. 1250 lbs. stock ballast, pnp 450's in each locker. Based on the above are you suggesting another 400 in the walkway and 400 in the bow?

I need heavier friends....

Yeah. Maybe the sacs I have are 450s. But the walkway one is crucial. A couple hundred lbs of girls in the bow will suffice, but pushing 400 will be better. Trust your driver though, that bow will be begging to dip!