Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dash vents?

triscadek

What are the vents under the windshield with the duct hose used for? They're on both sides. I have a hole in the floor on both sides, wasn't sure if they were vents for that or? The hole in the driver side has the cables running down into it.

Well I thought about both until I saw an identical one like mine in Florida with the vents coming out down by the drivers feet. Doesn't make sense for the port side though.

Doesn't seem there are any inlet vents to the engine compartment....

Well... initially when the boat was made, the 3" vent and hose went in the gunnels on the sides of the boat all the way to the engine compartment. They could have been torn up at some point, but that was their initial location.

The holes you speak of on the floor lead to the ski locker. I personally use them for running speaker wire, the battery cables (moved to port side compartment), ballast drains and for the heater hose lines.

Source: I have a 2001 VLX. I assume its very similar

Edited by jonredcorn

The 3" coming from under the floor is, just that, a vent. The one you saw in Florida by the drivers feet was most likely a heater tube.

Wow. That is an example of a timeless boat design. Take off the decals and it still looks like a modern boat.

square vents under windshield are for the engine.

The vent under the helm (and in the walkthrough) are heater vents.

Ah ok. Yeah mine is pretty much identical minus the heater vent and wood grain on the dash. I have carbon fiber. I have one solid thick black stripe vs the two he has, I have no decals though. I'd love to round up a newer tower on the cheap to make her look a bit more modern.

Should be air intake to the engine compartment so gas fumes can be exhausted.

The effort for vents in the front of the boat take too much effort for fume exhaust. There is no advantage to front vents when a boat is at rest, and the builder do a lot of work to put in vents and route hoses. (Your blower hose conspicuously goes to the bottom of the bilge to vent fumes.)

The vents in the front of boats is to push fresh air into the engine compartment when the boat is moving to increase performance.

I had given thought to removing the starboard side duct and just letting the air come in under the dash as I have 3 amps mounted under there with a custom sub box and matching carpet that makes it look factory, which cuts air flow. It wouldnt help any at the beach, however when cruising with a rider out back is usually when the stereo is at its highest. I would think that should help some. I'd leave the port side hooked up. The previous owners never even had them mounted, just hanging. So obviously the boat runs decent without both.

I had given thought to removing the starboard side duct and just letting the air come in under the dash as I have 3 amps mounted under there with a custom sub box and matching carpet that makes it look factory, which cuts air flow. It wouldnt help any at the beach, however when cruising with a rider out back is usually when the stereo is at its highest. I would think that should help some. I'd leave the port side hooked up. The previous owners never even had them mounted, just hanging. So obviously the boat runs decent without both.

I would think having cool fresh air to the engine for better performance would be more important than fresh air to an amp rack...but that's just me...