Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cover Recommendations

Mechmaster

I'm looking for a trailerable cover for my 98 VLX. Does anyone have any recommendations other than Rankin or Covercrafts (I know the consensus is these are the best, but the Rankin is a little expensive for me right now and Covercrafts doesn't have a pattern for the 98 VLX).

I'm looking at these guys right now:

http://www.skiboatcovers.com/

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

I'm looking for a trailerable cover for my 98 VLX. Does anyone have any recommendations other than Rankin or Covercrafts (I know the consensus is these are the best, but the Rankin is a little expensive for me right now and Covercrafts doesn't have a pattern for the 98 VLX).

Those would work, but I think the biggest reason why everyone loves Rankin and Covercrafts is that they do not have straps around the bottom to the boat. So you don't have to worry about rubbing. There are other reasons that they work better as well, but that seems to be the biggest reason.

I ordered the Malibu strapless cover from my dealer two weeks ago. As soon as it arrives, I'll post some pictures.

Strapless Cover

If you don't mind my asking, what was the cost for that cover?

Not sure what the final tab will be. Waiting on taxes and shipping charges (to be drop-shipped from the manufacturer). I expect it to come in less than the Rankins/Covercrafts.

I ordered the Malibu strapless cover from my dealer two weeks ago. As soon as it arrives, I'll post some pictures.

Strapless Cover

I have this cover and am mostly happy with it. It trailers great but I've found a couple of drawbacks (on mine at least).

1. The reinforced cleat openings do not match up with the cleats themselves.

2. Unless you have a fuel air separator do not fill up and then trailer with the cover on. Any gas that comes out of the overflow vent will pool between the rub rail and the strap and run all around the back of the boat. This was a nasty little surprise which probably is not good for the boat or the cover.

Other than these two items the cover has been great.

Edited by stusumm

Strapless Cover

I have this cover and am mostly happy with it. It trailers great but I've found a couple of drawbacks (on mine at least).

1. The reinforced cleat openings do not match up with the cleats themselves.

2. Unless you have a fuel air separator do not fill up and then trailer with the cover on. Any gas that comes out of the overflow vent will pool between the rub rail and the strap and run all around the back of the boat. This was a nasty little surprise which probably is not good for the boat or the cover.

Other than these two items the cover has been great.

Others have made similar comments regarding the cleat openings. Since my cleats were not done at the factory and I don't plan to use it as a mooring cover, I opted to not have any cleat openings.

Stusumm - Good info on fueling with the cover on the boat. Thanks

Mike at skiboatcovers, (The Canvas Shoppe), makes great covers. This is my third cover from him. First cover for my 1990 Supra was still is great shape when a sold the boat in 1999. The last one he custom made for me to fit the new Xtreme tower on our RLXi. I have never trailed with the cover on for more then a couple of miles myself. I would call to make sure he has a pattern for your boat since our local Malibu dealer has gone inhouse for his covers.

What kind of material is the new Malibu cover made of ? Is there lining around the inside for the windshield, etc. It seems to be 60% of the cost of a Rankin, so that makes it kind of attractive.

What kind of material is the new Malibu cover made of ? Is there lining around the inside for the windshield, etc. It seems to be 60% of the cost of a Rankin, so that makes it kind of attractive.

The Malibu (Commercial Sewing aka Vacuhold) covers are made from Surelast, "SURELAST™ is an all-weather polyester fabric that is 100% solution dyed and urethane coated. Since its edges won't fray during production, SureLast is a fabricator's delight. With a warranty against loss of color, SURELAST ™ resists any degradation from sunlight, mildew, rot or atmospheric conditions."

Commercial Sewing isn't planning on making the cutouts for cleats for Malibu anymore since Malibu isn't consistent with cleat placement. They are still making them for MC boats since MC uses a template for all their rigging.

I got a new cover from CS that doesn't have the cutouts or the through the cover vent anti pooling pole. Mine has a strap in pole almost like the ones that come on a MC boat. (An MC dealer is a good place to look at CS covers.) Because the pole straps inside the boat, my cover can be used on a 21.5 XTi, 21.5 VLX, Sunsetter, Sunscape... w/Blade/Illusion tower. It also seems a lot better for towing than my original CS cover did.

But, they probably don't make one for a 98 boat unless it's the same as a V-ride or something current.

Edited by sgtsandbagger

Mike at skiboatcovers, (The Canvas Shoppe), makes great covers. This is my third cover from him.

Hey Larry, are these guys in Flint?

Yes, they are on 3198 1/2 South Dye Road. Mike will do just about anything, car, truck, motor home, boat, house awning, you name it. Very big shop with a hugh drive in area.

I have the new Malibu strapless cover. I don't have any complaints so far. I have some pictures of it on the trailer and moored if anyone would like to see them. It was half the cost of some of the other manufactures. My cleats don't line up exactly but they are pretty close.

I have the new Malibu strapless cover. I don't have any complaints so far. I have some pictures of it on the trailer and moored if anyone would like to see them. It was half the cost of some of the other manufactures. My cleats don't line up exactly but they are pretty close.

Which tower do you have on your V-Ride? If you have some photos kicking around, that would be good as well. Thanks, Mike

Can you post these pictures, or PM me and I'll shoot you my email to send them to. We're looking for a good trailer/mooring cover as well.

DC9669:

Is this your boat:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...html?1150300310

Cover looks pretty good. How would you compare the material to Sunbrella?

Do you have a mildew problem under the cover, or does it breathe enough?

That's the new Malibu cover. It breathes pretty good as long as it's not put on a wet boat and then put in a garage.

I may have one for sale next week. It'll fit any of the newer 21.5 boats w/ the blade or illusion tower. Not cutouts for cleats either :)

That's the new Malibu cover. It breathes pretty good as long as it's not put on a wet boat and then put in a garage.

I may have one for sale next week. It'll fit any of the newer 21.5 boats w/ the blade or illusion tower. Not cutouts for cleats either :)

Please PM me with Price info if you do. I am interested.

so this cover is available directly through Malibu? Also, there are no poles, or is there a pole in the back. Is there any puddling in the back?

It has one pole in the middle that has vent holes under the cap. Mine doesn't fit as good as I would like, but hopefully it will stretch out as time goes by. Good looking cover and at least Malibu is trying to put out a good cover.

It has one pole in the middle that has vent holes under the cap. Mine doesn't fit as good as I would like, but hopefully it will stretch out as time goes by. Good looking cover and at least Malibu is trying to put out a good cover.

One dealer I asked for a quote from for this cover said they ordered several for their new boats in the yard, but had some issues with mildew.

Can anyone comment?

Edited by Mechmaster

One dealer I asked for a quote from for this cover said they ordered several for their new boats in the yard, but had some issues with mildew.

Can anyone comment?

Mine is the only Malibu boat I've seen in person with a CS cover. All of the new Mastercraft boats at the dealer have them on the outside boats, they don't use covers on the inside boats. The MC dealer and my dealer love the CS covers.

I haven't had any problems with mildew or condensation in my boat but, I tow it home without a cover and make sure it's dry before I cover it.

Quote from my earlier post, "It breathes pretty good as long as it's not put on a wet boat and then put in a garage."

Another consideration might be the climate. Oklahoma is pretty humid but not like some of the Southeast. Arid climates shouldn't have any problems with moisture. In Mississippi I used one of the solar powered vent fans on the top the pole to keep the old boat aired out.

Edited by sgtsandbagger
so this cover is available directly through Malibu? Also, there are no poles, or is there a pole in the back. Is there any puddling in the back?

It is directly available through your dealer. There is one pole on my V-drive. It goes in the back. I just didn't have it in place since there was not a chance of rain when I put the cover on and took pictures. I love not having a bunch of dew and bugs in the boat every morning now.

As far as mildew goes I cannot comment. My boat stays inside during the week so I dont cover it then.