Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wet Sounds HT-6 - Thoughts on this amp?

kstateskierMO

I'm currently running 4 RF 6.5s in my RLXI on a RF 400-4D (for sale in classifieds). Wanting to add a 12" sub under the drivers feet in a custom kick panel.

I didn't really want to add a second 1x amp to power the sub. Considering upgrading to the 6 channel Wet Sounds 900x6. Anyone running this amp?

Setup would probably be Front speakers on channel 1&2, rear speakers on channel 3&4. Bridge 5/6 for the sub.

Comments welcome. Below is the amp I wanna run. Not sure on Sub yet. Probably find a RF 12" so everything matches, but open to a JL or something else.

x867HT6-F.jpg

This is the one of the amps that came with my SP2 package. I, personally like the amps and the system but I am also not looking for the highest output system that many others do.

The dealership had to replace the HT-6 (brand new) and wound up changing me to the Syn-6 because of "chip related issues causing feedback in the system". I do not profess to be extremely knowledgeable on stereo equipment, so other than this is what the dealership did and said, I have no real meat to back their statement. Best of luck.

I'm sure the HT6 will get the job done, and you'll have the support from WS if you have any issues.

Here's a couple of alternatives capable of sub duty.

Clarion XC6610, very similar to the HT6 and does more than rated. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_71987_Clarion-XC6610.html

PPI P900.5, I love these amps. Been rocking them on my boat since 2011. Well reviewed everywhere http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Power-P900-5-5-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00DRMQ2N2

If you'd be willing to go for 2 amps, a PPI P600.2 and P1000.1 would serve you well. That's a wapping 1600 watts for $280

PS: I understand where you're coming from on matching everything, but if performance is your goal I'd try to look past brand name and focus on value. Example, I run 6.5" Silver Flute mids in my truck. You've probably never heard of Silver Flute and you probably wouldn't believe that this $30 driver is the same driver used in the $6k/ pair Gemme Tanto's as well as other hifi boutique speakers.

• Like 1

Appreciate the info - keep it coming.

@CRFRider - I considered the Clarion. I had a full Clarion system in my Mastercraft once upon a time and it always served me well and never faltered. Heck its probably still in there as I type this and I haven't seen that boat in 5 years.

PPI, actually never heard of them but I'll do my research and see whats out there on them. I'd rather not run two amps. Thats just a wiring challenge I don't want to deal with. However it would be easier if I added a second amp because I could just buy a one or two channel amp and be done with it.

@CRF-Rider

I decided to follow your recommendation and pick up the Clarion XC6610 in 1000 watts x 6. Amp board and amp should arrive this week and I'll get to work on it. Will probably pick out a sub shortly.

Cool man. That amp is not 1ohm stable, so remember when you go to pick out a sub, make sure it's 2ohm if it's a single voice coil sub, or 4ohm if it's a dual voice coil sub. I'd look for a sub with a high sensitivity rating and use a ported enclosure so you'll get the most bump for your buck. You're not going to get much power from the amp for sub duty.

• Like 1

He cannot get a 2ohm sub on that amp(clarion) properly. He needs a 4 ohm sub or a DVC 2ohm sub.

That amplifier will do 85 watts to each 4 ohm inboat @14.4 volt

So at 12v he will see maybe 65 watts of it...

For the sub it is 250 watts bridged @ 14.4v

So he will see 220 maybe at 12v..

Low end 4 ohm sub is what will fit.

• Like 2

Soooooo.... reco's for 4ohm subs in 12"? Planning a sealed box probably hidden behind the drivers kick plate.

Wet sounds 12"

JL Audio 12"

Which JL 12, they offer about 9-10 different models. Unless you are looking to upgrade the sub wattage (new amp) in the off season, then I would look for a 12" woofer thats going to be a better match for the current amp. The Wet Sounds XS-12 would allow you to upgrade to something in the 500-700 watt rms range latter, as well as maybe the JL W3. For your current amp, the W0 or W1 would be a better match, as well as the Kicker Comp series. Honestly, I prefer the Kicker KM10 marine 10 over the Comp-12. The KM-10 is a prefect match power wise and comes in a single 4 ohm and even includes LEDs.

• Like 1

Not planning on upgrading amps again. This x6 Clarion is all I'm planning on running. 4 interior RF 6.5s and a sub. My slalom boat doesn't have tower speakers :D.

Kicker KM10? I like the red LEDs - would match my interior LEDs. Can this go in a sealed box?

1.25 cuft. sealed and it will pound (for a 10) on 200 watts.. I say a 12 on 200 watts won't be as musical...

Edited by Truekaotik
  • Like 1