Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Height Record. -Hydrofoil

Big Jay D

Unreal. ..I'm impressed!! :) and at the same time can only imagine what a crash from that

hight would feel like. I know my BF crashes can be brutal....but man, from that hight,

there got to be some serious pain. ....Still wanting to give foiling ago though!

This wasn't me. I should have clarified. It was Ben Ferney out of Spokane, Wa. My PR is 60 frames.

The trick to dipping the foil before the trick is line tension and foot pressure. Using the available line tension to apply foot pressure to sink the foil. It's all explained in the "Air Technique" thread on foilforum.com.

Couple of fun facts about 60 frames per second of hang time. Height is based off of 30 frames per second film speed. So 60 frames is 2 full seconds (or real near it) of air time. Height is calculated with a fairly simple mathematical equation. 2 seconds of hang time equates to 15.6 feet if I remember right. Velocity up at its peak is a bit over 22 mph. Boat speed was 27 for the above trick. So to transfer a base speed of 27-28 to an upward speed of 22 takes a bit of skill. Now obviously velocity at the wake is more than 27 because the rider is also moving across. Pretty awesome stuff.

• Like 1

What wing setup are you flying? NICE AIR! I thought for sure it was going to be a front though :-D

He is running a prototype wing and an Xtreme Venom rear wing.

• Like 1

Unreal. ..I'm impressed!! :) and at the same time can only imagine what a crash from that

hight would feel like. I know my BF crashes can be brutal....but man, from that hight,

there got to be some serious pain. ....Still wanting to give foiling ago though!

Crashes from that height do happen. But it's pretty rare. This was in 2011. Coughing up blood afterwards.

Crashes from that height do happen. But it's pretty rare. This was in 2011. Coughing up blood afterwards.

Ouch.....Blood....Whoaaaaa ... Hey still want to give this ago, and I'll be happy to

just ride the foil to start.

Edited by Dare2goBare

on the last year of the ride last year, i was hitting it pretty hard and got lost in my invert. didnt know what direction i was in. rang my bell and thouhgt i broke a couple ribs. It can hurt but its woth the fun!

• Like 1

on the last year of the ride last year, i was hitting it pretty hard and got lost in my invert. didnt know what direction i was in. rang my bell and thouhgt i broke a couple ribs. It can hurt but its woth the fun!

After reading that you may still be concussed! HaHa!

Edited by DUKENO1