Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best way to pull a Big guy out of the water

malibu87

Everything that sixball said or get him out on a boom to get his technique right and confidence up. Most importantly have him eat less and move more.

You put that guy on a boom and you better have a damn good bilge pump cause he is going to put a lot of water into the boat. I find a big is a lot like pulling my wife up. You have to give the power very slow and then add power much later than you think. With my wife I give her about 1/4 of the throttle and stay there until she is almost up and slowly roll it forward. A bigger guy you will not stay at the 1/4 throttle as long but roll into it slowly.

• Like 2
  • 4 years later...

Driver is just as important as skier in this scenario. I’ve been a long time show skier and instructor so I’ve seen just about every mistake made on a start and have probably made them all as well! We had to learn to take whatever pull you get back in the day  but when you get older and a little bit heavier things just don’t work the same so you need a little help from the driver. 

As a driver, you can help the start by simply watching what the ski is doing as it is coming out of the water. If it is starting to submarine you can stop rolling it up or even give it a little jog off throttle to keep your skier from punching out the front because he’s standing up too early. (Very common)

I always get beginners started with a very light pull to get the ski straight first then progressively roll them up. It’s not always the same pull though. If the ski is planning properly, I continue with a fairly aggressive roll up of the throttle. If they are standing on it too early or they look like they are too far forward, I’ll leave it or back off to allow them to recover and get their hips back under them.

A full throttle start for a big dude is usually going to be a fail and will quite often send the handle in the boat at 80mph or over the bow ...then you get to dig the swim mask out and unwind the rope out of the prop. :) 

I’m 6’3 and 245 now and at age 55 I just can’t take the starts that I took when I was 25.  So... I have to rely on technique and hopefully a little help from the driver. 

River Monster said it correctly! ... ski to butt, knees to chest. Let the water crunch you up in a cannonball and WAIT! ... standing up too early is the number one fail for most slalom starts! Even my tiny little smokin hot sexy ski chick wife does that every once in a while! :) 

Hopefully my 2c’s will help some buddy out there! ... Happy turns to ya!

• Like 3
  • 10 months later...

Let's resurrect this thread one more time, carguy79ta.   I love what Wadeswrld and River Monster said: "Ski to butt, knees to chest. Let the water crunch you up in a cannonball and WAIT!....Standing up too early is the number one fail for most slalom starts!"  And the boat driver needs to ease you out!!!  I'm 43 years old, 6'5", 330 lbs.  Clearly, I'm  huge!  I've understandably struggled at this weight to get up, even with my rope tied off at the tower.  I have not liked the "Big Daddy" at all...not only does it have very, very poor performance once you're up, but I don't even think it is that easy to get up on.  I've had some marginal success (again being pulled from the tower) with a HOSKIS 71" ski.  Yet this past weekend, I had several very wonderful ups and runs on my new 71" Butterknife" by Radar--AND they were pulled from the lower pylon!  The cutting is sooooo much better from down there!  Towers are great for pop and leveraged lift on a wake board, but for slalom skiing being low is way better.  It felt terrific.  I still need to loose many, many pounds, but in the interim, this ski--coupled with my daughter's awesome driving/pulling abilities--helped me feel a semblance of the good old days.  Oh, and one more important fat-guy tip: thoroughly stretch out your entire body (legs, feet, core, arms, shoulders, etc.) before take off.  Thanks for the above points and encouragement.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, DavidGrant said:

Let's resurrect this thread one more time, carguy79ta.   I love what Wadeswrld and River Monster said: "Ski to butt, knees to chest. Let the water crunch you up in a cannonball and WAIT!....Standing up too early is the number one fail for most slalom starts!"  And the boat driver needs to ease you out!!!  I'm 43 years old, 6'5", 330 lbs.  Clearly, I'm  huge!  I've understandably struggled at this weight to get up, even with my rope tied off at the tower.  I have not liked the "Big Daddy" at all...not only does it have very, very poor performance once you're up, but I don't even think it is that easy to get up on.  I've had some marginal success (again being pulled from the tower) with a HOSKIS 71" ski.  Yet this past weekend, I had several very wonderful ups and runs on my new 71" Butterknife" by Radar--AND they were pulled from the lower pylon!  The cutting is sooooo much better from down there!  Towers are great for pop and leveraged lift on a wake board, but for slalom skiing being low is way better.  It felt terrific.  I still need to loose many, many pounds, but in the interim, this ski--coupled with my daughter's awesome driving/pulling abilities--helped me feel a semblance of the good old days.  Oh, and one more important fat-guy tip: thoroughly stretch out your entire body (legs, feet, core, arms, shoulders, etc.) before take off.  Thanks for the above points and encouragement.

And here I thought the resurrection was because @Wadeswrld forgot to post photos of his "tiny little smokin hot sexy ski chick wife."