Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine will throttle down then up on its own

2004 23LSV with 340 Monsoon, 173 hours. Started the boat up for the first time this season and everything was fine at a No Wake speed. After increasing the speed and cruising the engine would lose some power as if I pulled the throttle up to reduce speed, then after a few seconds it would increase speed/power to where it was before losing power. I tried once to throttle it down and go fast and it seemed like the engine wasn't coming close to full output. It would throttle up and down on its own after cruising at any speed, and it was periodic, not constant. My engine temp and oil pressure are normal. Everything was running great at the end of last season, before storing it I had it professional winterized. I had a little under a half tank of gas left in the boat from last season and did Not add any new gas before putting it in the water this year. Anyone had issues like this? Could this just be bad gas and I need to run it through and then change the fuel filter? Thanks for any and all help!

This may be a dumb question but do you have a perfect pass and is it on? My response does that if the perfect pass is on and I dont give it enough throttle to get up to the set speed.

• Like 2

Not a dumb question, I don't think the perfect pass is on. I turned the boat off and on a couple times and it would still do this, wouldn't the perfect pass turn off when the boat is turned off?

Not a dumb question, I don't think the perfect pass is on. I turned the boat off and on a couple times and it would still do this, wouldn't the perfect pass turn off when the boat is turned off?

nope

Clearly I don't use my perfect pass often, I'll make sure it's turned off. Hopefully that's the issue. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

No. The PP in my 2005 RLXI stores the settings in non-volatile memory and, unlike a typical car system, has to be manually dis-armed.

You can run the boat using PP and leave it armed. Disconnect the battery for six months and when you restart the boat, the PP is still armed and will engage...

Check your battery voltage and make sure your alternator is working. Mine did that when my alternator went out, just cut out and then pick back up over and over