Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What part is this / where to buy

Over the weekend I had a plastic cooling system line elbow blow out of the port stern side of the engine block. It is a black 90 degree elbow that was screwed into an aluminum plate on the back of the block. I have circled on the image below where the piece came from. The problem I am having is that I picked up a replacement at my local dealer, but it looks just like the elbow in the image below. The problem is that once the elbow is screwed into the aluminum plate the barb that the water hose connected to is flush against the plate so there is no way to put the hose on. The original elbow had about a half inch of extra length that was not threaded on the threaded part of the elbow to gap the 90 degree turn off of the plate (like is shown in the second image). As you can see in the photo below there is no such gap so the barb would be flush against the aluminum plate it screws into. Does anyone know what the part number is or where I can source it from? the dealer is claiming it is the right part, but there is no way of getting the hose on. I considered not screwing it in all the way to leave room for the hose to we on the barb, but at that point I don't think it will seal and it will most likely blow out. Any info is greatly appreciated. By the way I have the 409 in a 2013 22mxz.

90elbow.jpgS60519_LG.jpg
indmar409%20copy.jpg
PS I checked bakesonline.com for the part and couldn't find it. I'm not exactly sure of its side put it is about 1 and 1/2 threaded piece and about a 1 inch or so barb.
Edited by bluestang50

I would put some Teflon tape around the threads if your going to leave space

to accommodate the hose as a temporary fix.

This is the second time this issue has been posted re the 409. Hummmm

I'm I to worry! Maybe a good idea for me to pick a couple

of these fittings up to have on hand.

Is there a part number on the one you pulled off? Mfg is GANN, part number would look like 54EN, 56EN something like that.Another option would be to just add a short straight fitting to the part that you can get.http://www.gannproductscompany.com/products_fittings.html

^^^ +1. A much better solution...:Doh:

Had a similar issue with the same fitting 2011 boat.

Did not blow out, just started leaking a bit leaving a stain.

Replaced & noticed how much the original fitting had been reduced in diameter when fitted, it had kind of crimped down in size when screwed in being only plastic.

Then found it difficult to screw in as the leak had started corrosion of the manifold which created lumps in the thread.

Picked up a tap & cleaned out the thread, put a decent amount of the pink Teflon tape on as this is thicker than the white tape, all has been good for a season.

Had a similar issue with the same fitting 2011 boat.

Did not blow out, just started leaking a bit leaving a stain.

Replaced & noticed how much the original fitting had been reduced in diameter when fitted, it had kind of crimped down in size when screwed in being only plastic.

Then found it difficult to screw in as the leak had started corrosion of the manifold which created lumps in the thread.

Picked up a tap & cleaned out the thread, put a decent amount of the pink Teflon tape on as this is thicker than the white tape, all has been good for a season.

I didn't know there was pink teflon that is thicker. Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't know there was pink teflon that is thicker. Thanks for the heads up.

The pink teflon tape is used down under for the poly fittings used in irrigation for the garder or agricultural applications.

Try a shop where you would get the polly pipe used in the garden

• 1 month later...

Has anybody found where you can find these in brass? I had the same problem this weekend with the fitting on the feed to my exaust/cat.

As bakes Indicates, the brass will cause galvanic corrosion so just use the nylon replacements

Yes, read about this as well on the Bakes site.

So what is the fitting between the o2 sensors screwed into the very same manifold just further down stream from the engine on the manifold.

Looks like brass to me....

• 1 month later...

As bakes Indicates, the brass will cause galvanic corrosion so just use the nylon replacements

Sent off an enquiry to Lary @ Indmar about these nylon elbows.

His response below

You could use brass fittings to replace any of those fittings in the manifold. Brass and nylon fittings are used because they typically do not lead to electrolysis. If you can find the appropriate brass fittings it is perfectly acceptable to use them.

We used the brass fitting at the top of the manifold because the manifold sometimes gets warmer at that point and the nylon fittings did not like the extra heat. The 90 degree and straight fittings in the lower positions typically saw much cooler water and did not justify the extra cost of using brass fittings but if they would have required brass fittings, they would not have caused any issues.

Larry Engelbert

Indmar Marine Engines