Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

removing hard tanks in 04 wakesetter vlx

Kmart25

Just a quick question, before I go ripping these out to replace with something bigger, does it devalue my boat? Not sure if this is a dumb question... I wanted to pull it out and buy the 850lb plug and plays that go back into the mls system... More ballast, more storage, I would think it could increase?

you can remove the tanks intact and put them back when you sell. Also you will need something more up front. I run a 650 up front with 750's in back. I threw the hard tanks away.

mind posting your exact setup? Wedge down? Both rear 750's full or just one? Did you plum your sacks into the MLS?

Just got my boat, bought it for wakeboarding, but would like to have some fun surfing too.

For surfing, you gonna need a lot of weight! I run 1000 rear surf side locker, 600 center floor, 550 bow, wedge down & 10-10.3 mph depending on water depth. I've found shallower water 12-20' likes 10mph, deeper 10.3. Since I made my own surfgate I run the other rear locker bag about half full, guessing I fill 500-600 pounds. You will most likely need to change your prop to run that much weight

Edited by racer808

Still messing with our surf wake. I have wicked wake so I don't list to much. I only move people around and surf with full wakeboard ballast. 11mph seem to work best.

My boat was already done from the last owner. setup is 750's in each rear locker full, center stock floor tank full (I think its 350 or 400#) and a wakemakers 650 v-sack up front on top of the cushions. At my age I don't like the steepness the wedge makes. My 19 year old wants everything he can get so he uses it every time. I used to be that guy that said he would never pump water into a perfectly good boat but I got hooked on flying through the air and wanted to go bigger. With just a few people we use and additional 400# sack on the floor.

Also get rid of the stock prop and get an acme 1235. way better hole shot and lower RPM's. even with everything full I never hit 4,000 rpms

I believe that's the kit I have and it works great. My former owner told me the sacks are 750's but I have never confirmed it. with sacks full I can still fit a couple of life jackets and wet suits on top no problem.

Still dialing it but I feel like wicked wake will give me the best surf wake possible on my boat by far and it's increased my surf time tenfold. I can hook it up in literally one minute so when my turn comes around and I feel like surfing instead of boarding I do it. btw don't bother with the connection equipment they sell. I put one ratchet strap through the wicked wake and connect to both d-rings firm it up and go. I got both sides just to be nice to the goofy and since its boat specific it will just go with the boat if I ever sell.

cool thanks guys,

Windy, how do you like the wicked gate? I thought about grabbing one since they are only like 200 bucks...

How are these for my rear lockers?

http://www.wakemakers.com/tankbuster-750-ballast-system-upgrade.html

I have that kit with 750s in my boat. If I could do it again I would probably go 900. You don't have to fill them all the way up if you don't need to, but you'll never find yourself hoping for more. From what I've read you won't be able to completely fill the 1100s in the locker. As stated earlier, you can always put your hard tanks back in for resale.

on that wakemakers link, there is an option for 750, 900 and 2002-2004 vlx 850 bags that cost more than anything else. Is there something I need in that kit or should I just go with the cheaper 900 lb "straight line" versions? Just want to make sure it comes with all the right fittings...

If you wish to hang on to the hard tanks, it is quite a bit of work to remove them intact. The back seat rest must be removed and fuel fill and ballast hoses moved out of the way in order to get the tanks out on that boat.

If you wish to hang on to the hard tanks, it is quite a bit of work to remove them intact. The back seat rest must be removed and fuel fill and ballast hoses moved out of the way in order to get the tanks out on that boat

Not of that stuff needs to be done.

I took mine out just fine without removing anything. It is very easy to take them out.

Put the tanks in your attack so when you sell you can put them back and keep the bags for your next boat.

I based my comments on personal experience. I suppose my hard tanks may not be original equipment. I had to remove the tanks a couple of years ago to repair some leaks and there was no way they were coming out through the engine hatch area due to the bottom of the tanks being wider than the clearance available. Glad to hear it is not that much work for others.

I have ran both rear lockers with the 750 and had to add a 650 in the front walkway with 300 lead. The boat eats a lot of gas and made a huge wake. Needed to change props (a given no matter what) and gave up top speed. I ended up trading out the 750 for the fly high 450's and just add a 750 in the middle of the boat for surfing. Gives a great wake, saves gas and can cruise the lake.

You will need to change props and also add side wall braces.

As some pro's say "perfect form before going big"